Do you believe in exorcism or possessed?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Re: Do you believe in exorcism or possessed?

Post by James Craft »

So here's a question for you all. This has to do with possession but not necessarily Raven's Peak. Do you believe that Hitler was possessed or just evil?

Hitler was evil and corrupt. I wouldn't even give him the credit of saying possessed. Sometimes, bad people are bad on their own and don't deserve excuses!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

James Craft wrote:So here's a question for you all. This has to do with possession but not necessarily Raven's Peak. Do you believe that Hitler was possessed or just evil?

Hitler was evil and corrupt. I wouldn't even give him the credit of saying possessed. Sometimes, bad people are bad on their own and don't deserve excuses!
Well said and I agree!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This is a very challenging and horrifying question. I do believe there is a spiritual world all around us that we cannot see. If you believe Scripture, you would understand there is a spiritual battle going on that we can't see. In the Bible, Jesus was always casting out demons from apparently possessed people. Were those people really possessed? Or was Jesus healing mental illnesses that they didn't know about back then? I could see the latter viewpoint, but it's usually best to take Scripture "as is." So, the bigger question is, are there really people possessed today, in modern society? Difficult to say. I think it is possible. I definitely do not think that all mental illness is really a demon. I suppose it is possible for a demon-possessed person to exhibit signs of a mental illness, but I would definitely separate the two as not being totally different. exorcisms? Not sure. According to Scripture, followers of Christ were supposed to be able to cast out demons. But then, Christ's disciples were not able to on one occasion. ALso, the use of holy water - I don't really believe in holy water. So, not sure why "holy water" would do anything. or how. IF there is such a thing as demon possession and exorcisms, the demon would have to come out on the authority of Jesus, not because of holy water or a cross necklace being shown.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I do believe that there are other beings that we may or may not know about. Some of these beings may be evil, and people may be possessed by them. However, this does not in anyway excuse bad or evil behavior. I think that if you are a good person these things won't happen to you.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Rinsola-Usman
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rinsola-usman.html
Reading Device: B005625APM

Post by Rinsola-Usman »

Yes I do. I have heard testimonies from reliable sources of mine.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

This is honestly a hard question, because I'm not sure if I do or don't. I have heard people say that they have witnessed that, and I feel as though not that many people could be making things up or imagining things. I do believe in evil spirits. Even if I decided that I believed in evil spirits possessing people, I would still have a hard time believing in exorcism. I just don't see how it would really be possible to remove an evil spirit from someone. Also, where would the real spirit of the person go and could it just be called back?
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:I do believe that there are other beings that we may or may not know about. Some of these beings may be evil, and people may be possessed by them. However, this does not in anyway excuse bad or evil behavior. I think that if you are a good person these things won't happen to you.
I agree with most of what you said. However sometimes bad things happen to good people. I do agree that majority of the time, you can avoid a lot of the evil in the world if you live a good and wholesome life.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Amagine wrote:
stoppoppingtheP wrote:I do believe that there are other beings that we may or may not know about. Some of these beings may be evil, and people may be possessed by them. However, this does not in anyway excuse bad or evil behavior. I think that if you are a good person these things won't happen to you.
I agree with most of what you said. However sometimes bad things happen to good people. I do agree that majority of the time, you can avoid a lot of the evil in the world if you live a good and wholesome life.
To follow up that, what is our concept of "good" based upon? :eusa-think:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

James Craft wrote:So here's a question for you all. This has to do with possession but not necessarily Raven's Peak. Do you believe that Hitler was possessed or just evil?

Good question. I believe that Hitler was mentally unstable and definitely corrupt. Unfortunately, he was able to corrupt others along the way. If people weren't so easily influenced, then he might not have impacted the world as much as he did. Since I don't believe in possession, I would never excuse his behavior as such.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

I believe that possession does indeed occur just as it did in biblical times. Was Hitler possessed? I am not sure, but evil was definitely running rampant in and around him throughout his life.

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

rssllue wrote:
Amagine wrote:
That truly is the question. How we can hold God to our standard of goodness when by definition God is above us. Doesn't he define good and evil?
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

kandscreeley wrote:
rssllue wrote:
Amagine wrote:
That truly is the question. How we can hold God to our standard of goodness when by definition God is above us. Doesn't he define good and evil?
Agreed and agreed! If God defines His creation, then who are we to change it or even use that definition without admitting it is He Who defines it in the first place.

karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I believe that people are responsible for themselves. That said, I do also believe that there are evil spirits, and in some rare instances they can/will possess people. If exorcism will work, I don't know, that would have to be case by case basis. It probably has to be done by someone highly skilled.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

karolinka wrote:I believe that people are responsible for themselves. That said, I do also believe that there are evil spirits, and in some rare instances they can/will possess people. If exorcism will work, I don't know, that would have to be case by case basis. It probably has to be done by someone highly skilled.
There would be a lot of training that went along with it to actually understand when an exorcism would be needed.
MythicDrmR
Currently Reading: Empire of Night
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mythicdrmr.html

Post by MythicDrmR »

ananya92 wrote: :eusa-think: One thing I'm sure of though, is that if there are evil spirits, then I surely don't want to meet one, even for the sake of proof!
Exactly! I have seen enough movies and read enough books that I do not want proof either. I do believe in spirits because I saw some as a child. It was a repetitious replaying of something that happened in a house I lived in when I was in elementary school. I believe in the spirit world and that we move into and, more than likely, back out of it when we are reborn. Do I believe that there could be other dimensions and unseen worlds where evil reigns? I fear so. I do not believe that every person who commits evil is possessed though. I believe that people are born mentally damaged or made that way and that causes most of the evil in the world. Even good people make bad choices from time to time.

Does exorcism work? If it helps the possessed person to believe so, what does it hurt? If you can have evil possession, shouldn't there be something good that can banish it? Deep and dark questions in this forum! posting.php?mode=quote&f=125&t=42392&p=670945#:shock2:
"The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." ~~Dr. Seuss (I Can Read with My Eyes Shut!)~~

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”