Romance or lack of it

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post by gali »

Aldonsa wrote:In my opinion there is a beginning of romance in Raven's Peak. Abigail and Haatim started falling in love, it is quite evident. Further adventures will pull them together. :wink:
As for romance in literature, I like books with exciting plot, books that make think, empathize. I've read many wonderful books without any romance.
I didn't see that they were, but each reads the signs differently.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldonsa.html
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

Post by Aldonsa »

gali wrote: I didn't see that they were, but each reads the signs differently.
I don’t state that they are in love already. Their feelings are just at the very beginning. Abigail hadn’t only rescued Haatim’s life, she revived his faith in God. She became the most important person for him at the end of the book.
Abigail was quite self-contained and lone person. But Haatim managed to reach her soul. He became dear to her too. He is on the second place, right after Arthur. :wink:
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

I like a good romance in a story, but in this particular book I don't think it was necessary. I think it would have changed the storyline too much; for better or worse whose to say? It may happen in the second or third book and I'm interested in finding out if it does.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Aldonsa wrote:
I don’t state that they are in love already. Their feelings are just at the very beginning. Abigail hadn’t only rescued Haatim’s life, she revived his faith in God. She became the most important person for him at the end of the book.
Abigail was quite self-contained and lone person. But Haatim managed to reach her soul. He became dear to her too. He is on the second place, right after Arthur. :wink:
I don't know. I still don't see it. I think they respected each other, but that is in no way equivalent to love.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

kandscreeley wrote:
Aldonsa wrote:
I don't know. I still don't see it. I think they respected each other, but that is in no way equivalent to love.
Hmm...yeah, I'm not really sure. I agree there is a connection, but not really love. At least not yet, I would say.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

christinac_2585 wrote:I like a good romance in a story, but in this particular book I don't think it was necessary. I think it would have changed the storyline too much; for better or worse whose to say? It may happen in the second or third book and I'm interested in finding out if it does.
That's true. A romance may develop in later books and personally, I hope it does. I also like the idea of the romance developing in later books. It makes it more realistic. Most people don't fall in love instantly. It's a slow, gradual process of them getting to know each other first. So if a romantic connection happen in the other books, that would be realistically perfect.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

Amagine wrote: That's true. A romance may develop in later books and personally, I hope it does. I also like the idea of the romance developing in later books. It makes it more realistic. Most people don't fall in love instantly. It's a slow, gradual process of them getting to know each other first. So if a romantic connection happen in the other books, that would be realistically perfect.
Definitely better when it takes time to develop. I agree with this completely.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

James Craft wrote:
kandscreeley wrote:
Aldonsa wrote:
Hmm...yeah, I'm not really sure. I agree there is a connection, but not really love. At least not yet, I would say.
I think the same. There is a connection that may or may not lead to love.

-- April 5th, 2017, 8:39 pm --
Amagine wrote:
christinac_2585 wrote:I like a good romance in a story, but in this particular book I don't think it was necessary. I think it would have changed the storyline too much; for better or worse whose to say? It may happen in the second or third book and I'm interested in finding out if it does.
That's true. A romance may develop in later books and personally, I hope it does. I also like the idea of the romance developing in later books. It makes it more realistic. Most people don't fall in love instantly. It's a slow, gradual process of them getting to know each other first. So if a romantic connection happen in the other books, that would be realistically perfect.
I agree and think the same.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Amagine wrote: That's true. A romance may develop in later books and personally, I hope it does. I also like the idea of the romance developing in later books. It makes it more realistic. Most people don't fall in love instantly. It's a slow, gradual process of them getting to know each other first. So if a romantic connection happen in the other books, that would be realistically perfect.
Actually, when I met my husband (before he was my husband of course) I loved him right away. Then we hated each other for about a year and a half before finally getting married. Nonetheless, I do believe in love at first sight. Although, I still think you have to give the relationship time to develop even after that.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

gali wrote:In most books, a romance is developed between the main characters. I was surprised no such thing happened here, between Haatim and Abigail, but maybe it will in the next books. Would you like it? So you like a romance in action books, or do you prefer stories that omit the romance aspect?
Being a lover of romantic fiction, I would enjoy to see a relationship develop between Haatim and Abigail. They built a strong friendship and developed mutual respect as the story progressed. I can see a potential for their relationship to become romantic but it would not make a break the story for me.
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html

Post by christinac_2585 »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:
gali wrote:In most books, a romance is developed between the main characters. I was surprised no such thing happened here, between Haatim and Abigail, but maybe it will in the next books. Would you like it? So you like a romance in action books, or do you prefer stories that omit the romance aspect?
Being a lover of romantic fiction, I would enjoy to see a relationship develop between Haatim and Abigail. They built a strong friendship and developed mutual respect as the story progressed. I can see a potential for their relationship to become romantic but it would not make a break the story for me.
I agree. The story is great without the romantic aspect, but if that was to bloom in the second or third book I would not mind at all. I just wouldn't like it if it becomes just about the romance and not the actual storyline.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

christinac_2585 wrote:
Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:
I agree. The story is great without the romantic aspect, but if that was to bloom in the second or third book I would not mind at all. I just wouldn't like it if it becomes just about the romance and not the actual storyline.
Yeah, I would like to see the romance come a little later in the series. Then it would mean more!
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I like the fact that there is no Romance in it. It would have been a mistake to force the protagonists into a relation just because they are leads.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Thimble wrote:Unless I'm reading a romantic story, I prefer there not to be a romance. Exclusions to this would be if the series is long and the romance is integral to the plot in some way. Most of the times authors put female characters in a book just so there's a side romance. I appreciated that there wasn't romance between Haatim and Abigail. Also, I really don't see them working out as a couple anyway.

I liked this response and agree.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I think it's refreshing when there is no romance because it's become so expected in stories.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”