Big Appearance Changes -- Bear with us!

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Re: Big Appearance Changes -- Bear with us!

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

I am looking forward to the changes. I was reading a review about this site when I decided to make my way over. However, when I arrived I was almost pushed away due to the template of the page. It seemed outdated and I wasn't sure how active it was. I'm glad I decided to stay. I believe an upgrade will bring in more attention.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

@Scott , I have one issue with the new template, as a matter of fact. When I try to select a book for review from my Review Team Page, I can only see the book cover and the review payout. When I open this page on my laptop, it is better with the books showing the book name and the page number.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:@Scott , I have one issue with the new template, as a matter of fact. When I try to select a book for review from my Review Team Page, I can only see the book cover and the review payout. When I open this page on my laptop, it is better with the books showing the book name and the page number.
I also have found the new Review Selection page hard to get used to. If I look at the review book list on my iPhone, I can only see the covers and payout amounts. The titles and page numbers can only be seen on my tablet or desktop. Also, since the covers take up a lot more space vertically on any device, the screen shows fewer books. As a result, it takes longer to scroll through the list.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

AlwaysWorthIt wrote:I am looking forward to the changes. I was reading a review about this site when I decided to make my way over. However, when I arrived I was almost pushed away due to the template of the page. It seemed outdated and I wasn't sure how active it was. I'm glad I decided to stay. I believe an upgrade will bring in more attention.
@"AlwaysWorthIt" The update was last month and has already occurred :/

If you have some specific suggestions about what to change and how to change it (i.e. what to make it be instead), please let me know. Your feedback is appreciated.

---
bookowlie wrote:
Wasif Ahmed wrote:@Scott , I have one issue with the new template, as a matter of fact. When I try to select a book for review from my Review Team Page, I can only see the book cover and the review payout. When I open this page on my laptop, it is better with the books showing the book name and the page number.
I also have found the new Review Selection page hard to get used to. If I look at the review book list on my iPhone, I can only see the covers and payout amounts. The titles and page numbers can only be seen on my tablet or desktop. Also, since the covers take up a lot more space vertically on any device, the screen shows fewer books. As a result, it takes longer to scroll through the list.
@bookowlie @"Wasif Ahmed"

Thank you for your feedback. Needless to say, there is a much less space to use on mobile, so some things will have to be eliminated in comparison to the desktop version. The desktop version will always be able to have much more on each page than mobile.

For the Select tab on the Review Team Page, there are 4 columns in the table. (1) Cover, (2) Title/Author/Genre, (3) Payment, (4) Formats.

At the time of your previous comments, only #2 was hidden on mobile so the table could fit on mobile. The other 3 all should have been showing. I notice neither of you mentioned 'formats', so my guess is that the column may not be seen as being useful information. That makes sense, considering formats can be set in the Preferences, so one should only be since books are are in a preferred format anyway.

I have changed the page so that the formats list is hidden on mobile, and the other data including the title and page count are displayed instead.

I noticed a small stylesheet error that could have caused the book covers to be stretched vertically out of proportion, so that may have been the problem there. I fixed that. In any case, the added title, genre, and word count data is taller than the cover images now so the cover image size won't have the effect of reducing the number of books seen without having to scroll anymore.

Please do let me know if you have any more feedback or suggestions for improvement.

I only have one set of eyes, and only happen to see so many of the millions of pages on the website, and things can display very differently on different devices, computers, browsers, and so on. So please do let me know is hard to use or navigate.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I appreciate the help. It's still a nicely designed page and, more importantly, there are a lot of books to choose from. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:The new featured reviews page is also looking really better. ??
I think that's my favorite part of the update.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

I'm sorry I had no idea. Being new, I wasn't sure what it looked like before. I guess being new everything is a little more difficult to navigate. I'll get used to it I'm sure.
It's Always Worth the Read.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”