Official Review: CIA ASSASSIN And Other Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Official Review: CIA ASSASSIN And Other Stories

Post by TangledinText »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "CIA ASSASSIN And Other Stories" by Benson Grayson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

CIA ASSASSIN And Other Stories by Benson Grayson is a work of fiction portraying different accounts of betrayal and espionage in three separate short stories: “CIA Assassin”, “The Saudi Pilot”, and “The Russian Spy-Master”. A key factor in how well these stories were delivered is the author’s background. Benson Grayson had more than twenty-five years of experience in intelligence operations, which explains why these stories are so engrossing and feel real.

“CIA Assassin” contained a gripping twist that drew you in and had you glued to your seat to find out how they got away with such a scandal. My adrenaline was sky-high as I quickly read through the pages and I felt like a part of the story. Ed Kramer, a CIA agent had just wanted to retire with his pension and reconnect with the family he had lost touch with during his service. Things got eerie when he is given an ultimatum that had to be completed in order to be granted his pension. He held hesitancy towards the assignment, but knew his choices were limited and stepped up to the plate. I thought that top secret assignment was the climax of the story, but it only got better from there.

Once the true mystery was figured out the more detailed aspects of wrapping up and bringing the real defectors to justice was brought to life retrospectively in an award that was presented to Kramer during his retirement ceremony. I loved the direction “CIA Assassin” took and the plot as a whole. The only thing I wish was a little different was how quickly it wrapped up. The entire story is gripping and then the actions that took place to really resolve the conflict were only mentioned briefly within five sentences at the end, and it left you wanting more. I can appreciate that this story alone could have formed a novel, so some things had to be condensed to make it into a short story, so I’ll except that and it still gets a raving review in my eyes.

“The Saudi Pilot” was another twisted tale that had me mischievously smiling at the end like I was a part of the peril. I loved the plotting and hidden agendas throughout this story. By the end I felt like I was a part of the plotting. I started scheming and thought I had found the perfect opportunity to tie up one more loose end as someone walks across the street. I began to think like the characters and try and anticipate their next move.

This story held yet another impossible assignment that had them struggling ethically if they could step up to the plate. The CIA Director and his subordinates had to find a creative way to “accidentally” kill a king and make sure there were no ties back to them. The scheme was innovative yet precise. It had to be executed exactly as intended or the true intentions of the mission might have been exposed and would have created a war between the countries. “Saudi Pilot” had you on the edge of your seat till the end.

“The Russian Spy-Master” was manipulative and thought provoking. This story is a little different than the first two because it’s based on Russian government operatives traveling to the United States instead of United States government officials traveling to other countries to deal with their unsavory assignments. “The Russian Spy-Master” was more intellectually stimulating than the others with less action but more calculated scheming. It was a great, lighter story that ended this trio off on a high note.

Both the “CIA Assassin” and “The Saudi Pilot” contain the theme of an unethical and illegal assignment to eliminate a target. The lead characters both face apprehension when accepting their roles, but when they do you are taken on a journey of how they accomplished the assignment and the aftermath. “The Russian Spy-Master” did not have the problem of having to kill a target, but the elimination factor was still relevant. The Russian agent was faced with a decision to either be caught under a bus or to throw someone else there first and eliminate his threat more deviously. “The Saudi Pilot” was my favorite of the three short stories but they were all memorable. The entirety of CIA ASSASSIN And Other Stories made for a fun and exciting read and I would rate this collection of short stories 3 out of 4 stars. The one note and the only thing that held me back from a perfect score, which is something that will easily change after it has gone through some professional editing, is the constant misspellings and grammar errors. Besides that I would highly recommend this book to all the adrenaline junkies, mystery and suspense lovers, and people that want a good story, but don’t have the time to read a full novel. It always feels great to feel that accomplishment after finishing a story and with this book you’ll get that small victory three times and come out of it a winner.

CIA ASSASSIN And Other Stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookfix_blog's review? Post a comment saying so!
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Great review. I appreciate your well-written description of each of the short stories. I like a good short story collection. While CIA stories aren't usually my thing, this book does sound interesting. I too get so disappointed when a book lacks professional editing.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love well-written short stories like this. It's nice to be able to sit down and read a complete story in a short time sometimes. Thanks for the great review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html

Post by TangledinText »

Thank you for taking the time to read my review.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Short tales aren't my usual read, but this one sounds intriguing. The three tales sound exciting and well executed. Too bad about the lack of editing. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I usually don't go for short story collections; it's just very hard to read an entire collection and have all the stories hold up, many times some just feel like filler. Glad you liked this one so much and found the stories so engaging. I will have to check this one out :)
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm interested because it is an action packed, short story collection. That sounds like something right up my alley. Also your review is so well written and informative that it make the stories sound intriguing.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

I like good collections like this so will definitely check it out.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Post by hailvilla18 »

Comprehensive review! Great job for both the author and the reviewer. I want to read the book. I love suspense stories. This works for me too since I am working, and I don’t have the time to read a full novel.
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

I read a sample of the book and you are sucked right into the story from the start. Very good review!! It shows how manipulation is used the CIA and what people will do when theyou are desperate.
Last edited by christinac_2585 on 02 Apr 2017, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Awesome review. The set looks promising. Would read the sample pages first and then decide whether to buy it or not. Thanks for your honest review.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I don't usually care for CIA themes in books, but I can see readers who look government thrillers loving this collection. I like your description of "all the adrenaline junkies." Glad you enjoyed the stories, in spite of the frequent grammatical errors.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Wish the book was edited better. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it overall. Thanks for the honest and well written review.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Nice to know about this gripping thriller! Seems highly informative and descriptive as well. Will definitely check it out. Congrats on the review!
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. The idea of the CIA basically blackmailing an operative into a dangerous situation for him to get his pension and retire sounds interesting. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”