Official Review: Me! by Dan Reed

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Me! by Dan Reed

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Me!" by Dan Reed.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Me: Anecdotal Evidence That I Existed is a funny, interesting and amusing memoir by Dan Reed. It is, as the author put it, an account based on random personal remembrances. It also includes jokes both familiar and unfamiliar which make the book entertaining and anecdotes which make it informative.

The book has twenty five chapters told in light hearted manner. After recounting an embarrassing story in the first chapter about a visit to the doctor and having to show his private part when he was nine or ten years old, the author goes on to tell about bed wetting until the age of twenty seven, driving all the way to Mexico from Arizona to get laid, working in a dude ranch, selling shoes, selling cars and going through three marriages, in the succeeding chapters.

Though the book is, for the most part funny and even hilarious, there are some specific chapters that I find quite poignant and I appreciate that the author is willing to share not just the fun parts of his life but the sad parts as well.

Needless to say, I enjoyed this book a lot I did not want it to end. The author has a way of telling stories using words that evoke unpleasant images without sounding vulgar, or at least not vulgar to me, and come out funny instead. Moreover, the author shares very interesting anecdotes and general information which you don’t usually learn anywhere and are not particularly helpful but information you will be happy to know anyway. Furthermore, the author includes jokes, both familiar and unfamiliar as well as several song lyrics that he, himself, wrote and which can be played in his website.

Among the topics I find interesting are the ones about enuresis, hermaphrodite, toque, crib death and Navajo Indians while the joke I particularly enjoyed is the ‘cowboy/lesbian joke.’ I also appreciate the information on Howard Johnson restaurants, Daylight Saving Time and Del Webb community. There are so many parts I like in the book but my two favorites are Chapters 19: Wedding Afar, where Dan and his third wife Denise missed their flight getting out of Hawaii, and 21: Travel Log, a series of unfortunate events while on their way to work at the Indianapolis 500.

However, much as I enjoyed this book, other readers may have different opinions as some topics may not be considered very proper especially those which are sexual in nature. In addition, there are some necessary repetitions which some readers may find vexing. Moreover, there are some stories that I find genuinely funny that other readers may find disgusting. Thankfully, there are only very few noticeable errors (customers instead of customer’s and manufacturers instead of manufactures).

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is amusing, entertaining and informative. I recommend it to readers who enjoy funny stories and interesting anecdotes and who do not mind reading about accounts of improper acts and inappropriate behaviors. Needless to say, there are stories in this book which are not suitable for young readers.

Me!
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

This kind of book is one of my favorites. I congratulate Dan Reed for sharing his dark as well as his light moments.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I think the name of this book alone gives us some insight into Dan Reed's sense of humor! Sounds like a fun read, glad you enjoyed this one so much. Great job on the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Is it sexually explicit or just sexual in nature? This definitely sounds like a funny yet informative read. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

The author sounds like a few people that I knew in the Army--rough around the edges but essentially good natured. This sounds like an entertaining book, and you did a great job on this review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:This kind of book is one of my favorites. I congratulate Dan Reed for sharing his dark as well as his light moments.
Yes, apparently Dan Reed leads a very interesting life and is very kind to share it with us :)

-- 31 Mar 2017, 09:53 --
MarisaRose wrote:I think the name of this book alone gives us some insight into Dan Reed's sense of humor! Sounds like a fun read, glad you enjoyed this one so much. Great job on the review!
Yes, I enjoyed it so much I didn't want to stop reading. It's such a fun book to read :)

-- 31 Mar 2017, 09:54 --
kandscreeley wrote:Is it sexually explicit or just sexual in nature? This definitely sounds like a funny yet informative read. Thanks for the review!
Some accounts are sexual in nature but in a funny way :)

-- 31 Mar 2017, 09:55 --
LivreAmour217 wrote:The author sounds like a few people that I knew in the Army--rough around the edges but essentially good natured. This sounds like an entertaining book, and you did a great job on this review!
Thank you very much. I enjoyed it a lot :)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review for what sounds like an interesting memoir! I like these types of books that a mix of poignant and funny reminiscences. Glad you enjoyed the story.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bookowlie wrote:Great review for what sounds like an interesting memoir! I like these types of books that a mix of poignant and funny reminiscences. Glad you enjoyed the story.
Thank you very much. Oh, yes, I enjoyed it a lot and I hope others will enjoy it, too :)
Henry Kaisemutala
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-kaisemutala.html

Post by Henry Kaisemutala »

You really praised it and indeed it seems interesting. I have to read it by all means.

-- 31 Mar 2017, 15:22 --

For sure the author must be good.You really praised it and indeed it seems interesting. I have to read it by all means.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Henry Kaisemutala wrote:You really praised it and indeed it seems interesting. I have to read it by all means.

-- 31 Mar 2017, 15:22 --

For sure the author must be good.You really praised it and indeed it seems interesting. I have to read it by all means.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”