Isolation

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Wanton_Wordsmith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18985">The Fellowship of the Ring</a>
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanton-wordsmith.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Isolation

Post by Wanton_Wordsmith »

I am a novice, and I have a question: how do writers do it? How do real writers spend all their time writing?
I know that to be a good writer, you must spend a large portion of the day writing. But what I do not understand is how writers can spend all day alone, isolated with just their work all day. Wouldn't that drive someone crazy? I'm just saying. Please enlighten me. I don't understand this writing thing too well. Thank you! :D
Lucie Adler
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4787">The Tiger's Wife</a>
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucie-adler.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Lucie Adler »

I’m an aspiring novelist and I struggle with this question all the time! I’ve managed to write a complete rough draft of novel, but it took me five years to do it. Part of the problem was that I was in school when I started writing, but I also couldn’t force myself to write for extended periods when I did have the opportunity to. I’ve read a couple of how-to-write-a-novel books by some published authors though, and their advice is basically that you have to work your way up to it. It’s like training for a marathon. You don’t start off running 26 miles. You start off running one or two. So to build up more writing-stamina, I think you just have to start with a modest goal like writing 500 words a day, and then increase your daily word-count as it becomes easier to reach your initial goal. Don’t forget to, or feel guilty about going out into the world and spending time with family, friends, and random strangers though! After all, inspiration for a story often comes from fresh interactions and experiences.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I don't isolate myself usually....Everything around me is far too interesting and inspiring. I have a very understanding boyfriend though which is helpful when I do get engrossed in my writing. He comes over and kisses/hugs me to remind me of where I am.

Also I like to talk out plot problems with my partner and friends...sometimes family...sometimes hearing these issues aloud help me write through the problem instead of getting annoyed within my own head (happens alot)

There are times I purposely isolate myself for a couple of hours serious writing time, but this would be no different for me If my day job was in an office or something that requires only one person to complete a task.

I think it's important not to forget there is a big world our there and the more experiences you have in it, the more material you have for writing!
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

No, I cannot really isolate myself to write. I usually go to a busy coffee shop- the music and the sounds of people talking tend to inspire me. That' when I create my best work, usually. I also love to write at airports- very inspiring.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I definitely require isolation. I have this thing where any little thing can distract me. So when I'm doing homework, reading or writing, I need to be all by myself. I don't even want to hear anyone breathe
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

Amagine wrote:I definitely require isolation. I have this thing where any little thing can distract me. So when I'm doing homework, reading or writing, I need to be all by myself. I don't even want to hear anyone breathe
I love that last bit :D :D
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

Yeah a lot of people write someplace busy.

Also, research is important and can take a lot of different forms. Going on a hike and examining nature, or visiting a tourist attraction, can absolutely be an important part of writing.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
graciemilligan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by graciemilligan »

Writer needs enough time and privacy to write, but isolation from all other may decrease their writing skill. A creative article is born from experience with others and nature.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

if you are crazy enough and really love what you do, being alone for a while won't be a problem at all. most of the authors have really dedicated their lives for writing and that is how they have become successful writers
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Writing Discussion”