Official Review: The Slope of Kongwa Hill

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Slope of Kongwa Hill

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Slope of Kongwa Hill" by Anthony R. Edwards.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Slope of Kongwa Hil - A Boy's Tale of Africa is the autobiographical novel by Anthony Edwards. The year is 1948, and Mr. Edwards' family are expats from Britain who relocate to Tanganyika (now Tanzania) in East Africa. The book is divided into three parts: "The Foreigner", "One of the Boys" and "Growing Up". Each part details significant stages of Mr. Edwards' boarding school years at Kongwa School from age 9 to 14.

As a boy Mr. Edwards has a cool relationship with his parents, only seeing them on school holidays. Without including spoilers, Mr. Edwards' boarding school experience includes taking daily malaria prophylaxis, having Boy Scout adventures and being in constant fear of getting beaten with the kiboko (a thick, cane-like whip made from hippo skin). There is a Lord of the Flies element to the story, in that boarders have a great amount of independence, they develop their own societal hierarchy in a school with no physical boundary, and wildlife and boys wander freely.

Told in the first person from the author's perspective, this is an engaging story. The reader is drawn in immediately and held captive until the end of the book. It is reminiscent of Isak Dinesen's Out of Africa, but written from the perspective of a young boy instead of a woman. The writing is descriptive and concise at the same time, and it is easy to get lost in the East African countryside where Mr. Anthony spends his childhood.

When reading this book you will need to suspend any conflicting views you may have about colonialism, to appreciate the excellent writing. For example, adult servants are referred to as "boys" or "her Africans". Another example is the description of the Mau Mau rebels in Kenya. They fight against British rule, but instead of being called rebels or freedom fighters in the book, they are called terrorists. If you keep in mind that the tale is about the author's life in the midst of British colonial Africa, and that the author is a product of that history, you can truly enjoy this coming-of-age novel.

Although there is a glossary of terms at the end of the book, one thing I would like to see is a translation of Swahili phrases and conversations within the context in which they are said. There is one part where Tony's friend Hazel translates her conversation with the Masai for those present, but more translations would add to the enjoyment of the book.

Having said that, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The writing is engaging and illustrative, the voice is authentic and the work appears to be professionally edited. Readers who enjoy autobiographies, especially those set in rural areas, should take a look at The Slope of Kongwa Hill: A Boy's Tale of Africa.

The Slope of Kongwa Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

This sounds like an interesting and unique book. Does the lack of translation in certain areas take away from the flow or make the book hard to understand? I love reading books about true events but I have not read a book based in Africa. I might have to give this one a try. Great review!
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like an interesting coming-of-age tale, and real at that! I like it when one is drawn in immediately and held captive until the end of the book. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I absolutely love learning about the culture in this time period in different parts of Africa. I will add this to my reading list!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the thoughtful review! I can't even imagine half the things the author, as a young boy, goes through. It sounds like an exciting autobiography, for sure. I do wonder, without the translations, if this read would get a bit frustrating. But, it looks like you have enjoyed the read. Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review and thank you for sharing his story!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does sound like an interesting and intriguing book. It would be interesting to see the author growing up in Africa. I can't even imagine what that would be like. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I know next to nothing about the British subjugation of various colonies around the world (Except USA, or course HA!) This sounds like the perfect book to gain some knowledge about this time period from a more personal type account. Thank you for the review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

This sounds like a very interesting read. Thank you for sharing this and congratulations.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

This has got to be one of the more intriguing books up here I have seen in a while. Thank you for sharing this!
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This story sounds really interesting. I'm especially interested in the fact you stated it reminded you of Lord of the Flies. I'm interested I'm reading about the author's story and his stay at an all boys school where they made their own rules. I'm going to have to check this one out later.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
cherrykarl
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39">Broken Prince</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 664
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrykarl.html

Post by cherrykarl »

Based on the author's life events. Can't wait to read the sample. I would really like to know more about Africa – the life, the people. This book will surely educate the readers.
Peculiar. Unique. Extraordinairé | Philippians 4:13
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Post by hailvilla18 »

I think this is a very interesting autobiography. Readers will also gain knowledge for the author is a product of history and he narrates his experiences during the colonial period of British in Africa. Great review! To the author, congrats for this excellent work.
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley
skalicia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skalicia.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by skalicia »

This sounds like a really interesting book. Does the translation issues (looking up in the back) take away from the flow of the book?
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I don't normally read a lot of nonfiction, but this story sounds interesting. I appreciate the warning about the language use ('boys,' 'her Africans'). I actually took a class in Swahili, so having that language in there makes me want to read this more.
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. An autobiography about a boy growing up in Africa sounds interesting and informative. The challenges that he faces let's you know what it's like to be an outsider in a foreign country. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”