Official Review: The Grief Helpline by Vernessa Blackwell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Grief Helpline by Vernessa Blackwell

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Grief Helpline" by Vernessa Blackwell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Grief Helpline: Restoring Your Joy After Experiencing a Personal Loss by Vernessa Blackwell is a non-fiction, self-help book. The book opens with details about the author’s personal experience with loss and continues on with two self-help sections. Part One, “Grief Recovery,” deals with the many emotions one experiences immediately after the loss of a loved one. Topics discussed in this part include shock and denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Part Two, “Joy Restoration,” focuses on the healing journey. The focus in this section is not merely to feel better and return to normalcy, but to find true joy in moving forward. Setting goals and taking steps to achieve goals and dreams are predominant themes in this portion of the book.

The book is written as a day by day work book; each day includes a daily thought, prayer, bible verse, and challenge. The daily portions are short enough to read that they can easily be included in your daily routine. Though I read the book in one sitting (it is a fairly short read), I found each daily thought, verse, prayer and challenge to be unique, thought provoking and inspiring. The daily challenges especially interested me. Types of challenges include writing exercises, meditation and breathing exercises, and performing small tasks outside of your comfort zone.

The author’s personal story is inspiring all on its own. It is clear, the author has dealt with loss throughout her life. Further, she served as a soldier for her country before finding her true calling as a grief counselor and joy restoration coach. Throughout the daily entries, the author includes small tidbits from her own experience which makes the book seem credible and further gives the book personality and voice. Unlike other self-help books, this one feels like a one on one conversation with the author. I felt I really got to know a lot about the author’s beliefs and attitudes while reading The Grief Helpline.

This book has a strong focus on God and the Bible and thus may not appeal to all readers. If you are someone who has recently experienced loss or are having difficulty dealing with less recent loss and either want to find God or expand your current relationship with God, I highly recommend this book. The author’s words and the daily prayers and activities are not only comforting, but they will help you focus on acceptance and healing when struggling through difficult times.

At only 134 pages, The Grief Helpline can easily be read in one sitting; however, this book works better as day to day encouragement for those on the road to healing after a significant loss. The healing process will not happen overnight and The Grief Helpline will be a comforting and eye-opening companion for those working towards joy restoration. For the many reasons stated above, I happily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The Grief Helpline
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I saw this one on the review page. I thought about reviewing it myself. This is something that is always helpful as there is always someone out there with a recent loss. Sounds like a good book. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Great review! You did an excellent job explaining what the book is all about. This sounds like a good resource for those who are grieving. I'll remember to recommend this one to friends as the need arises.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:I saw this one on the review page. I thought about reviewing it myself. This is something that is always helpful as there is always someone out there with a recent loss. Sounds like a good book. Thanks for the review.
I agree, books like this are always relevant. Thanks for taking the time to read my review :)

-- 26 Mar 2017, 12:46 --
Shelle wrote:Great review! You did an excellent job explaining what the book is all about. This sounds like a good resource for those who are grieving. I'll remember to recommend this one to friends as the need arises.
Thank you for the kind words! I definitely recommend it as a resource for anyone struggling with loss. :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very inspiring and helpful book. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Vernessa Blackwell on such an apparently well written book.
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very inspiring and helpful book. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Vernessa Blackwell on such an apparently well written book.
Thank you for the kind words! I think this book could be used as a great resource for many. :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”