Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Lady Ruth Bromfield by Gordon Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: Lady Ruth Bromfield by Gordon Smith

Post Number:#1 by Pilar Guerrero
» 25 Mar 2017, 14:18

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by Pilar Guerrero
Share This Review

Lady Ruth Bromfield is the story of a little girl called Ruth who is born from a Jewish mother at the time of the Nazi Germany. She is saved from a certain death by a wealthy English businessman and adopted by his brother, a Catholic priest who raises her as a Christian and also as a Jew. She has a brilliant mind and from an early age she shows the skills of a leader. She goes to the university to study an engineering program as well as religious studies. Ruth works a few years as an engineer and gains recognition. When she is old enough, she becomes the President of the family business, one of the biggest Engineering Companies in the world with an even bigger Charitable Family Trust.

The book is a recount of Ruth’s education and vision of the world, her beliefs and her achievements in life until her mid-fifties. The author includes many details about Ruth’s friends and entertainments, which make the story more human and relatable. The author also describes in genuine detail a few episodes of English history, giving a good description of how people faced those events and how they overcame them.

The book is well written; it is engaging and the events develop at a good pace. The tone of the narration is light and sometimes playful. I enjoyed the reading but what I liked the most was the author’s attention to detail to describe Ruth’s character, moral principles and her leading qualities. This book moved and inspired me very much; for it showed how great projects began the same as a seed, and how the cooperation among different people could bring greater understanding to a situation. I have been thinking about how to apply some principles that the book describes into a project I have right now.

In my opinion, some parts of the book would have benefited from more precise dates, or at least, from an indication of Ruth’s age; it was only by the end of the book that I could understand how long it had taken Ruth to learn and achieve all that she did.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, it accomplishes a clear and direct recollection of Lady Ruth Bromfield’s life; the reading is enjoyable and uplifting. There are two or three typos in the whole book which do not distract from the reading. I recommend this book to people who enjoy historic fiction, stories about leadership and to those looking for stories to inspire other women.

Lady Ruth Bromfield

Lady Ruth Bromfield
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Pilar Guerrero's review? Post a comment saying so!
Pilar Guerrero's Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Pilar Guerrero

Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 41 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Lady Ruth Bromfield by Gordon Sm

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 26 Mar 2017, 12:37

This sounds like a different type of read. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Fortunate Monsters" by Nancy Fulton
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 106 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 87%

Post Number:#3 by Pilar Guerrero
» 26 Mar 2017, 13:32

I agree with you, it is a different reading, the style reminded me of some friends I have in England, they way they talk and the details they pay attention to. Thanks for your comment.
Pilar Guerrero's Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Pilar Guerrero

Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 41 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite

Post Number:#4 by va2016
» 26 Mar 2017, 14:00

Yes, sounds different. will check it out! Thanks!
va2016's Latest Review: "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin
va2016

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 56%

Post Number:#5 by hailvilla18
» 27 Mar 2017, 08:14

This is my cup of tea! Wanna give this a try! Congrats for the good review!
hailvilla18's Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley
hailvilla18

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by gali
» 03 Apr 2017, 00:38

Sounds a good and touching book! A pity the book doesn't provide precise dates. I am glad you enjoy the book. I am not sure it is for me, though. Good job on the review!
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Cat Who Lived High
Bookshelf Size: 1673 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 90%

Post Number:#7 by olaiya oluwafemi
» 03 Apr 2017, 06:24

Fine review, I appreciate it. The book is written in another style because it sounds different. Gordon is trying to show the benefit of a good education and also everybody has equal chance to become better in life. He shows the good side of religion. Thanks for the review.
olaiya oluwafemi

Currently Reading: In the shadow of Angels
Bookshelf Size: 28 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books

Post Number:#8 by Jaime Lync
» 15 May 2017, 11:08

Sounds like a great read. Thanks for the review.
Jaime Lync's Latest Review: "Husband" by JoAnne Blackwelder
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 491%