What are your thoughts on post apocalyptic stories?

Discuss the March 2017 Book of the Month, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
abhishek7081
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13

Re: What are your thoughts on post apocalyptic stories?

Post by abhishek7081 »

well, i like imagination getting wings of fire and letting it free to fly in the sky when i close my eyes , and so is the genre "post apocalyptic". It is based upon what you see when you close your eyes and imagine the world going through a disaster, how interesting it is, to let your brain create some tiles out of the thoughts and to see it. i love this...
Corvac
Currently Reading: Firefight
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corvac.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Corvac »

It is a genre with such a massive amount of potential, and that tends to be the problem. There are a few fantastic novels that are post-apocalyptic (A handmaid’s tale jumps to mind), however there is also a lot of rubbish in the genre.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I have been on a apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic binge lately and it has forced me to re-think why I like the genre so much. I think that it is interesting seeing everyone's different perspectives on how they think the world is going, what will be the cause of our downfall, and the respective aftermath of it all. I also think that there is an element of hubris to it as well. A good post-apocalyptic/apocalyptic story often has an arm-in-arm link with a survival story and a reader often NEEDS to see themselves as being able to make it among the elite few who have survived the end of days.

Will there be a complete collapse of society? I don't think that any one event will see the end (or partial end) of the human race, but I do think that isolated incidents have the potential to cause massive amounts of destruction in isolated geographies.
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

I think we are moving towards destruction. Our environment is destroying. Our societies are becoming more and more intolerant. We are accumulating loads of weapons to destroy humans.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I enjoy this genre sometimes, but it can be really hit or miss for me. If the book is really well-written and has excellent characters, I can enjoy even the most bleak and hopeless scenario. However, if the book isn't super engaging, I get frustrated very quickly, more so than with other genres.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I really enjoy reading books in this genre, but I have to admit that they make me think about the possibility of the world coming to an end. I think that it's very likely that some type of disaster will occur in the- hopefully very distant- future, but for the time being it's great to see the possible scenarios that authors come up with.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I generally don't like this genre but the stimulating discussions on this book have compelled me to reconsider my stand. It is a food for thought that what will and how will the civilization end?
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

CataclysmicKnight wrote:I LOVE post-apocalyptic stories! The Walking Dead, The Postman, The 100, even things like Mad Max... they highlight how differently people would act when law and order are things of the past and we have more to fear than boredom and missing a rent payment. They DO require great characters though, as that's what really makes or breaks a post-apocalyptic story.

As for whether it'll happen, I think it's inevitable to some extent. Whether it's a world war that changes life, some terrible natural disaster or just running out of enough natural resources to continue the way we are, eventually I think it has to happen. I'm sure I won't see it in my lifetime, though, which I'm happy about!
I have very similar feelings. Love this genre, but it needs strong characters in order to make it a worthwhile read.

Also, I can see the running out of resources scenario happening eventually, but it's hard to really say and definitely something I don't like to think about! But, I also don't think I will see it in my lifetime, and I'm good that!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Yes, I do think that civilization will collapse one day but I am sick and tired of reading about it. Most people are obsessed with this genre and I feel like it is too over done. So, I'm not really a fan of apocalyptic stories.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I've always been a fan of this genre, which is a bit strange for me since the thought totally altered my childhood. I remember watching a documentary on the sun exploding when I was really young and just being totally freaked out to ever be away from home. This lasted for at least a whole summer. Strange that I now enjoy reading this type of book.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I can't say I'm much of a fan... Sometimes I can't follow the author's train of thought as to how the world changed and created something new. I'd much rather be told that it's a completely different universe/timeline than to be told that our lives can change that much in xx number of years. It's a tough subject to wrap my head around.
Mark Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-johnson.html
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Post by Mark Johnson »

I like the fact the genre challenges conventional thinking. It makes you ask yourself what would you do in the same situation. They are almost like dystopian 'what if' type of books without the oppressive ruling government, but with an oppressive post-apocalyptic environment. The genre is limitless, I do like post-apocalyptic books with near future aspects and sci-fi/fantasy elements to them.
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I'm Not typically a fan of the genre, but there is the rare book that can grab my attention. I think that collapse in some ways is possible, although I don't think it would involve the entire world necessarily. It's definitely something to consider though.
Kb3ck
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kb3ck.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kb3ck »

Some of the stories can be interesting but I feel the genre is getting worn out the way vampire stories have been worn out. There are not many new stories that can be made about the topic.
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
matildajay
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4056">The Glass Castle</a>
Currently Reading: The Tender Bar
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matildajay.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by matildajay »

The post- apocalyptic genre is much like playing an instrument; sure anyone can pound out a few notes and follow the tune, but it is much more difficult to create a new and intriguing piece.
Regarding end of civilization, I reckon it will happen eventually unless there are some major environmental changes. Not in our life times, but maybe a few generations down the road I think pollution and climate change will inevitably get the best of us. Of course that's decades away, and a lot of positive environmental and technological advances could happen before hand, so who really knows.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." - C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Return to “Discuss "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel”