Review by Pilar Guerrero -- Gates to Tangier

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Review by Pilar Guerrero -- Gates to Tangier

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gates of Tangier is the third book of The Tétouan Trilogy, a historical fiction novel that explores the sufferings and ordeals that Jews have endured for centuries. The protagonists are five siblings of the Benzimra family from Tétouan. The story begins when a lawyer finishes reading the will of the protagonists’ father, who put his children a condition to receive the inheritance: the siblings must find their half-brother born from a Muslim woman around 30 years ago.

This clause puts the protagonists on a journey back to the village where they came from, and it forces them to confront and assume their identity and heritage as Jews, and also to come to terms with their own share of pain and suffering in life.

Even though the protagonists travel from different cities to meet at a Spanish airport and continue the journey to Tétouan, most of the plot takes place in the conversations among the characters, or in their interior monologues. These inner dialogues are powerful and portray the conflicts and the emotions that each sibling goes through. The author creates a multi first person narration technique which allows the reader to see the conflict from each sibling's perspective, so the reader can see a bigger picture of the story that none of the characters can see.

The plot develops as the characters speak and it unfolds at a steady pace on each chapter. In the third part of the story, the plot has a twist that gives the novel a new level of complexity and depth. All the loose ends are tied at the end, but the characters pose questions that may open up the story for a continuation.

What I enjoyed the most in this book were the poems between chapters, the author uses these to introduce other characters that the protagonists do not meet. A well achieved aspect in the novel is the creation of a common thread of pain and frustration in the characters about their lives and about being a Jew. All the characters mention this in their interior monologues, yet they all present it in different shades and manners, making them believable and relatable.

What I found difficult to follow were the dialogues between or among the protagonists, there was no clear indication about who was saying what, and I had to go back a couple of times to make sure that I knew who was speaking with whom.

The book contains only a few grammar mistakes that may distract from the story. I believe this is due to the translation process, I would still recommend a revision to make the narration flawless.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars: the story is engaging and the plot well-paced with a surprising twist, the characters talk about history as much as human emotions, making the reader feel for them. Despite the few mistakes, the narration technique is brilliant, especially in the use of poems to enrich the narration and to move the plot forward.

I would recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction, especially those interested in the history of Jews in the world. Readers interested in psychological novels may also find this book appealing.

Gates to Tangier
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Pilar Guerrero's review? Post a comment saying so!
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

Excellent review! Thank you!

You have mentioned about poems between chapters. Have they been translated well?

The story looks interesting, and I might give it a try sometime!

Thanks!
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

You have mentioned about poems between chapters. Have they been translated well?

Yes, I think the poems had the music and rhythm of a Middle East poet, I have read translations from other poets before, and the poems have a purpose in the story, they are another way of dialogue and narrative. For me that was the best part of the book.
Thank you for commenting here.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Very interesting and complete review. I agree when you say that the book presents the sufferings and ordeals that Jews have suffered. I also think that this method of presenting a story through conversation is common in foreign authors. Thanks for your synopsis. Well done!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I haven't read this book but I've read other works by the author and I really enjoy the poetic aspect of them.
OlgaNM
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olganm.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by OlgaNM »

Thanks for the great review. I have several of the author's books but have not found a moment to read them yet but you've convinced me to check them out.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
dungs joe
Currently Reading: Wiked wives
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by dungs joe »

Nice review though I don't like fiction
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3037
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The author having poems at the beginning of some chapters is interesting. I am reading the book currently and I also would have loved if the author was to specify the people speaking in some dialogues in the book. It i difficult to follow the flow of events in a scenario where you just see conversations but you do not know who is saying what.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I also read the book and reviewed it. I enjoyed the story as much as you did especially the poems between the chapters.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”