Thoughts on Diversity in Books

Discuss the January 2017 Book of the Month, We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Re: Thoughts on Diversity in Books

Post by Mannie913 »

I think there has been a lot of diversity recently in books. The book I just currently finished, my main character was black. I also like that in Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments, one of the main characters is gay. It even hints a little about how hard it is to come out to his parents even though his partner is a famous warlock. This is a top selling series and I don't think it's harmed it at all.

Also, I think each person views their characters differently. Not that anyone is racist but they just immediately make it as relatable to them so they feel like they are the main character. Before they even give me a description of my character I already have a vision in mind. Some times the description the author gives me, isnt the same as what I originally envisioned so it's hard for me to change my view.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
dosenron877
Currently Reading: Route 66
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dosenron877.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dosenron877 »

For me, the genius of this book was that it did not grapple with an LBGT issue. The story was presented from a view of acceptance. Without judging or mentioning Henry's choice, Mom offers to have a safe sex talk. Audrey might be in love with Henry, but she accepts a choice made. Charlie (brother) is accepting. Some teachers are clueless, but the sentient ones accept Henry's choice. The only one to make a big deal of it, Marcus, as he attempts concealment of his role, still accepts Henry. Even Nana (grandmother) accepts Henry during her infrequent appearances in the world of reality.

In other words, the author doesn't write about an issue. He just lets characters show their reactions as relationships mature. I like books in which the authors don't take strident, defensive, righteous positions.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
noorsawhney
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noorsawhney.html
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook

Post by noorsawhney »

I think diversity is so incredibly important; characters should be an accurate representation of the world. It is especially important in children's and young adult books because they of all people need to see characters that they can identify with, going through the things that they go through. There definitely is a lack of diversity in literature, even though it has increased in past years.
“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum"
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook
kashif faridi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kashif faridi »

Since the international printing industry is dominated by West /US and its easy to launch one's writings surely and profitably there, the fact on diversity is least visible. Local industry of a country is a replica of my first line in their own country where is seldom visible. Internationally, we need to have diversity in books to allow coming together of civilizations, people, and cultures for better understanding and closeness and brotherhood.
Bfrisco
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bfrisco.html
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp

Post by Bfrisco »

I think that one important step to cultivating more diversity in novels is by openly supporting authors who include diverse characters in significant roles. As we talk more about diversity in media, hopefully, creators will be encouraged to include more diversity in novels. I think YA novels can be especially important, because a lot of younger fans are reading YA novels and by showing a diverse cast of characters to a younger audience, they might grow up to create content that includes diversity as well.
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp
Brea_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brea-21.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Brea_21 »

I think there are many books with diversity but are not promoted as much as others. I found myself having to talk to a professor to get recommendations on diverse books. I found that I loved them! So I really think people need to be more open and not rely on the popular topics!
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

I try to put diversity into things I write, but in general I think people are interested as much in diversity of voices as characters.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

Last month, I read a book where the main character was a person of color; I read another with a mc a person of color and one where the mc was gay in January. Full disclosure: I would not have heard of those books if it weren't for OBC (so, yay). I think - like so many aspects of our lives - people choose that which is already familiar. It's too bad people don't seek out what's unfamiliar, because there are some amazing books out there.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

SandraTWP-BRW wrote:Last month, I read a book where the main character was a person of color; I read another with a mc a person of color and one where the mc was gay in January. Full disclosure: I would not have heard of those books if it weren't for OBC (so, yay). I think - like so many aspects of our lives - people choose that which is already familiar. It's too bad people don't seek out what's unfamiliar, because there are some amazing books out there.
Yeah, it's a common thing for people to seek out others who look/think/act like them, and studies show that this echo-chamber effect is only getting worse.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I try to seek out diverse books, but I don't do as well as I should. I definitely make an effort to share them when I find them though. As readers, we need to demand diversity in our books as much as possible.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I believe that there are quite a few books that have diversity, however; in some of them, especially the older ones, the minority is often potrayed negatively. I think the main characters need to be more diverse and that minorities also need to be portrayed in a more positive aspect.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I agree that in the past there wasn't much diversity, but I think that's definitely changed. A lot of books I've read recently represent the LBGT community. People are becoming more accepting of others and I think that's really reflected in new books.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

I am surprised to read this. I have read many books containing people of different backgrounds and diverse cultures.

In fact, in the past couple of years that has become a trend as people are getting bored with the same type of characters.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

I think it's important to flip the conversation around: real life is diverse. Diverse books aren't special--they're just reflecting the world as it is.

Pepole aren't *making* books, movies, etc diverse because people like to see themselves in media.
What's going on is that, up into recently, the western world has been producing media that's disproportionately about only certain groups of people, because those people wanted to see themselves AND NO ONE ELSE in media.

Media isn't becoming more diversified. It's becoming less colonialized.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

I seldom find books with gay characters, let alone those where they are the main characters. I tend to shift from my usual genre readings once in a while so I could have time to explore other genres. Maybe it is because there is no market for this? I'm not sure.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Return to “Discuss "We Are the Ants" by Shaun David Hutchinson”