Official Review: The Seer by JD Stanley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: The Seer by JD Stanley

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Seer" by JD Stanley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Seer is a beautiful fantasy novel written by JD Stanley.

The year is AD 310, thirteen years after Barry, the Red King, assumed the throne after the fall of his brother, the former king, Manfred the Good. Unlike his kind and well-loved brother, Barry is ruthless, immoral and bloodthirsty. It is for these reasons that the former king’s friend and one of the last of a dying breed, the Hibernian Seer and Druid Counselor, Bronan, vows to serve the throne above all. Together with the captain of the Royal Guard, Sir Robert William, Bronan keeps close so he could watch over and protect the orphaned Princess Brigit. Unbeknownst to even Sir William himself, Bronan keeps a secret, a secret that if revealed, may save the kingdom from the depravity of the loathsome ruler.

Before he could reveal the secret, however, Bronan has to uncover evidence of treason great enough to remove the tyrant king and place the rightful ruler to the throne. Meanwhile, the princess is growing up to be a beautiful, intelligent and kind woman. She loves the people and the people love her back. Now more than ever, Bronan needs to protect her before the Red King realizes that the princess is more than a pawn he reserves for future use.

Told in the third person perspective and with a steady pacing, this is an exciting and suspenseful book about magic, secrets, spies, greed, jealousy and envy. The author keeps the suspense by unfolding the story through flash backs and keeps the excitement with some unpredictable turn of events. The ending, though not my usual preference, is fitting and justifiable. The characters are well-developed and though given just enough back stories, are relatable. My favorite is Princess Brigit as she evolved from the sweet and naïve girl to the tough and fearless woman and leader.

To replicate the language of the period, the author maintains formality of dialogue by using archaic words. Consequently, I cannot consider the book an easy read. More than the ‘thy’ and the ‘thine,’ the use of unfamiliar words (like fustilarian and rictus) keeps me from reading fast. Moreover, I notice that the use of archaic is not consistent throughout the book but rather sporadic. I also notice that the pronouns begin in capital letters for reasons unknown to me.

Furthermore, though the lack of it does not make the story less interesting, I prefer a back story on Bronan’s training as a priest, how he became as powerful as he is, and how he came to be at the throne’s service. Lastly, I notice some errors (like he departure from and what do you of think me) which are thankfully too few to warrant a loss of star.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is interesting, suspenseful and an enjoyable read. I recommend it to fans of fantasy novels. It is a story of love, loyalty and brotherhood. Some sex and violent scenes, however, may not be suitable for young readers.

The Seer
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds like an interesting read. I think I would stumble quite a bit over the archaic language, although I understand why the author adds that. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

The book sounds interesting. To be honest, Bronan's part makes me more curious. Thanks for such a nice review.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote:This definitely sounds like an interesting read. I think I would stumble quite a bit over the archaic language, although I understand why the author adds that. Thanks for the review.
The archaic words slowed me down a little :) but the unfamiliar words slowed me down even more because I had to look them up :) Good for me, though, because I learned new words from the book.

-- 22 Mar 2017, 10:06 --
Shreyoshi Sen wrote:The book sounds interesting. To be honest, Bronan's part makes me more curious. Thanks for such a nice review.
You're welcome. Bronan is quite an intriguing character, a real hero :)
Loliitahz
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Loliitahz »

Interesante está revisión, causa intriga y tanta emoción este libro, y hasta d las acciones malas se aprende
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This book sounds really interesting! I love that you stated the author uses language consistent with the period to add a sense of realism to the story. Great job on the review!
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

Thanks for your review! Looks like I have another fantasy title to add to my collection. Sweet! The use of archaic words intrigues me, so I'd definitely have to read this with the Overdrive app so it's easy to look them up. It's probably a good thing that their use is sporadic, or it would take forever to read, like reading Beowulf in Middle English (what a chore). Did their use depend on the character in the book? I know Shakespeare used iambic pentameter only for his more important characters.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

MarisaRose wrote:This book sounds really interesting! I love that you stated the author uses language consistent with the period to add a sense of realism to the story. Great job on the review!
Thank you very much. It is very interesting and I enjoyed it a lot :)

-- 23 Mar 2017, 22:06 --
Miche Sora wrote:Thanks for your review! Looks like I have another fantasy title to add to my collection. Sweet! The use of archaic words intrigues me, so I'd definitely have to read this with the Overdrive app so it's easy to look them up. It's probably a good thing that their use is sporadic, or it would take forever to read, like reading Beowulf in Middle English (what a chore). Did their use depend on the character in the book? I know Shakespeare used iambic pentameter only for his more important characters.
So true about the sporadic use of archaic, it speeds up the reading :)
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I love the plot of the novel as you described. It looks like a thrilling read. The review is very detailed and crisp.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

The Researcher wrote:I love the plot of the novel as you described. It looks like a thrilling read. The review is very detailed and crisp.
Thank you very much. I enjoyed the book a lot :)
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

Magic, you say? Sounds great! It sounds like a promising book. I might just read it in the future.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Dh_ wrote:Magic, you say? Sounds great! It sounds like a promising book. I might just read it in the future.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like a great story with amazing character development! Basically, my kind of story. I especially like the development of the princess. Instead of being this weak and timid little girl, she grows into a fearless woman. Nice!

Great Review! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Amagine wrote:This sounds like a great story with amazing character development! Basically, my kind of story. I especially like the development of the princess. Instead of being this weak and timid little girl, she grows into a fearless woman. Nice!

Great Review! :D
Thank you very much. The princess is the most endearing character in this book :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”