Official Review: Alzheimer's and Dementia: Paths to...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Alzheimer's and Dementia: Paths to...

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alzheimer's and Dementia: Paths to Take" by Anne Elizaeth Nixon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Don Nixon experienced perfect health his whole life. He was known for his wonderful sense of humor and excellent memory. In the thirty years that he and Anne were married, he never needed any medication. Then he started forgetting things, his sense of humor started to vanish, and his behavior started changing. In Alzheimer's and Dementia: Paths to Take by Anne Elizabeth Nixon, the author writes about her personal experiences caring for her husband Don. It is designed to help families tackle the challenges that come with caring for a loved one with Alzheimer's disease. It contains eleven chapters covering different aspects of Alzheimer's including diagnosis, changes to expect and paying for care, among others. The booklet was written while Don was still alive.

In this 50-page book Mrs. Nixon describes the early signs of the disease that she did not register until they were in hindsight: changes in behavior, anxiety, physical weakening and confusion that she dismissed as normal symptoms of aging. She wrote the book for caregivers with the hope that they will not make the same mistakes as she did out of fear. She explains that the journey would have been easier had she prepared herself at the onset of Don's symptoms, even if he had not been diagnosed yet. Mrs. Nixon remembers repeatedly thinking "I didn't suspect" and "He had never done or acted like that before" (Ch.5) She recommends being a proactive advocate and acquiring a Power of Attorney (POA) early on in the journey.

Readers may find value in this book because of its first person perspective. Mrs. Nixon has written newspaper articles, historical books and a children's picture book. Her personable writing style and gentle, honest depictions of her experiences with Don make Alzheimer's & Dementia: Paths to Take an easy and engaging read. Clinical pamphlets and textbooks serve a purpose, but we all seek accounts and advice from someone who has stood in our shoes. This book fits that description. Color photographs are included that draw the reader in and make the story even more personal.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is thoughtful, honest, well written and well edited. People with loved ones stricken with Alzheimer's disease or other forms of dementia will find lots of information that is directly applicable to their situation. If I could change anything about Alzheimer's and Dementia: Paths to Take, I would add a clickable table of contents and page numbers. These elements would help readers to navigate the material better.

Readers may find Chapter 10 especially helpful, as it contains community resources for families who need help with a loved one who has Alzheimer's disease. Caregivers of people suffering from other diseases may also find this work useful for its advice on caring for their loved one with a long-term illness.

Alzheimer's & Dementia: Paths to Take
View: on Bookshelves

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
Evenami
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evenami.html

Post by Evenami »

I love the book because it teaches us to be there for our loveone and family in difficult situations.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

Thank you for your response. I agree with you. This book shows the true meaning of love and commitment. How many marriages dissolve for far less than the major changes this couple has experienced? The continued commitment and compassion shown by Mrs. Nixon is admirable, and it inspires hope.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
Nunuh
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nunuh.html

Post by Nunuh »

Now this is a wonderful story. This made my day.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

This story is a must read. The older members of the family may suffer from such disease. It takes patience and strong love from the family members to keep the patient going.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a helpful resource for families and caregivers and a touching guide to boot. It is good that People with loved ones stricken with Alzheimer's disease will find lots of information. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This sounds like a very helpful and compact resource to teach others about these diseases. Alzheimers and Dementia are very real and affect many people.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
cherlyn
Currently Reading: Making Her His
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by cherlyn »

Oh I really like this book. The author is very detailed in her writing, and it is sad that her husband has dementia :(
Cherrylollipop
Currently Reading: Majesties of Canaan

Post by Cherrylollipop »

I find that this book is really good, very detailed and informative
btstaehyungie
Currently Reading: The Thin Blue Li(n)e

Post by btstaehyungie »

This is a really good book, very helpful to those who need help to take care of family with dementia too. This is soo sad
Cherlyn Lee
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)

Post by Cherlyn Lee »

This is a really good guide for taking care of dementia patients. Congrats on #BOTD!
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Post by hailvilla18 »

This is a great book! Not only will the readers gain an insight on what is dementia. Readers will also learn that people suffering with dementia need much understanding and support. Congrats on BOTD!
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley
Hneite
Currently Reading: The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reading Device: B0B3PSRHHN

Post by Hneite »

This is a valuable book for anyone taking care of Alzheimer or Demented persons. Thanks for making it free.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

This looks like a really interesting topic to cover and I'm glad you are giving it due awareness. Thanks! The review makes the book seem excellent.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

I think research on this issue is hugely important. Thanks very much for the insightful review!
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”