Official Review: The Goblin Child by Michael Forester

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: The Goblin Child by Michael Forester

Post by Jax14 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Goblin Child" by Michael Forester.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Goblin Child and Other Stories is a collection of short stories by Michael Forester ranging in length from one page to much longer. The eclectic nature of the stories places them in the "other fiction" category and none of the stories are interlinked and can thus be read out of sequence.

A young girl who will protect nature with her life and thinks that she has found love finds herself the prey of a deviant. A poet who has found love and lost it in an age where such love is forbidden cannot reclaim it. A queen who is convinced that the child she gave birth to has been replaced by a goblin. A brother who is blind to his abusive twin's hold over him. A man who claims to be Santa Clause has deep and dark secrets. The wonder of birth seen through the eyes of the traumatised baby. The real reason for the Tooth Fairy. The sleazy world of sexual predators. All these plus other thought provoking themes are covered in the stories.

The book as a whole is very difficult to critique as the stories are all written in different tenses, using different viewpoints and with different character vocal inflections. This makes some of the stories written from a very young person's view somewhat complicated to grasp. I felt a little deflated after reading the book as I didn't understand all of the stories or perhaps not the story itself but what the writer was trying to convey. I then found other online reviews also saying that some of the stories were tricky to identify with so I felt a little less ignorant. There are a few instances of grammar errors but nothing to detract from the overall impression of good editing.

I loved the pictures preceding the stories but unfortunately not all of the pictures came through clearly on the kindle. The writer definitely has a way with words, and the stories that I did understand were meaningful and covered many facets of the human heart and mind. Some very disturbing imagery emerged and in many circumstances the writer was able to take a deep subject and leave it to the reader to fill in the blanks, as with Angel's Place. In other places he sums up an event that changes a life and lets you see the sad future that awaits, as in Jumbled Egg with Prawn. The story that possibly made me smirk the most was Sometimes They Don't Come Back, which is a clever explanation of what the Tooth Fairy really is and how the visits are not as easy as just collecting the tooth.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars as although there was inherently nothing wrong with it, I would not recommend it as engaging reading. I tend to recommend books based on whether or not I would read them time and again, but this book would definitely not fall into that category and is not one whose stories or characters will remain with me.

The Goblin Child
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jax14's review? Post a comment saying so!
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

That is an interesting type book. Sounds sort of esoteric in spots. I guess I will be passing on it, though. My reading time is precious, and I don't like to use it on something too theoretical or vague.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like reading short stories every once in a while, but this doesn't sound like it's worth it. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise of each story sounds very interesting. Too bad, though, about the ambiguous message. It can be frustrating for readers when they can not identify with the stories. Good job on the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”