Official Review: Lost Bastards by L. Todd Wood

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Official Review: Lost Bastards by L. Todd Wood

Post by rssllue »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lost Bastards" by L. Todd Wood.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Upon being given the opportunity to read a story about the Korean War, I jumped at the chance to read Lost Bastards:A Story of Honor, Courage, and Redemption written by L. Todd Wood. My own knowledge of the war had been limited to old episodes of M.A.S.H. and knowing that the 38th parallel was a pretty big deal between North and South Korea. I found myself suddenly hungry to learn more about this conflict and Mr. Wood’s book definitely satisfied my desire.

The book starts out in Germany where our main protagonist, Corporal Richard Carpenter finds himself presently stationed. It is 1952, and we find Russian and Americans troops living in a shaky cohabitation of Germany at the very beginnings of the Cold War. The book starts here because this is where Corporal Carpenter soon meets his wife and quickly begins a family with her. It is a tough beginning for the couple as neither the United States military nor Germany will recognize their union. Through various methods, Carpenter provides for his family, finding a way to get the money they need to cover the expenses that military benefits usually would be providing for them. He is always looking for a way to make a buck and to get ahead while still doing his regular duty. But his life takes a drastic turn when he gets picked to be trained on a new technology which will land him smack dab on the front lines in Korea.

Their mission is classified top secret and very few individuals know that they are even in Korea at all. They are stationed on Hill 433 where they are complimented by a unit of the Republic of Korea (ROK) troops who will be assisting them on their mission. As they are testing out their equipment, the fighting around them begins to go badly for the other ROK and American troops near them which eventually leads to them being cut off and surrounded by the encroaching Chinese. In radio contact, they are told to hold their position at all costs and to be prepared to destroy their equipment if they are overrun so that it does not fall into the hands of the enemy. As the men around him start to die, Corporal Carpenter finds himself thinking of his family and his great desire to live and see them again, while yet acknowledging his duty and the likely possibility of his death. This truly pulls the reader right into the middle of the bloody business of war and helps us to see what true courage under fire looks like.

This was a superbly written book about an amazing group of men who stood back to back (even literally at one point) and fought against the evils of emerging communism in the world. Mr. Wood, himself a former Air Force pilot, crafted a great story based mainly upon Richard Carpenter’s memoirs and remembrances by his children of the stories he told them about his life and military career. I loved how he expertly patched any gaps in the real-life story with his reasoning of what likely was said and done in any given situation. The seams were completely unnoticeable between the confirmed and the envisioned events. It is a wonderfully crafted retelling of such an incredible part of the Korean War.

Only two things bothered me with the book. The first is there was a lot of swearing throughout the story. This can quite be expected, since it is a story about men put in extremely stressful and life threating situations which often make it difficult to speak cordially. The second reason is that the formatting of the story at times cut off the bottom portion of some letters throughout the book, which was kind of irritating. I cannot explicitly know if this is true for the book itself, or just was a problem that I couldn’t fix with my display in iBooks on my tablet.

Overall, I have to rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. It gives such an incredible insight into the life of a soldier, especially in the midst of battle. Anyone who is a history buff, loves war stories, or enjoys gaining insight through watching others persevere through tough times would heartily enjoy reading this story. I recommend it as highly as I can.

Lost Bastards
View: on Bookshelves

Like rssllue's review? Post a comment saying so!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Like you, my knowledge of the Korean war is limited to M.A.S.H. episodes. This sounds like a really good book. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

The author definitely took the story of this particular part of the Korean War and did an excellent job of breathing a vibrant life into it.

Thank you for your feedback! :tiphat:

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great war book. Unlike you, I have no knowledge of the Korean War at all :) and this sounds like a really good book. I can imagine the amount of swearing in the book. The title alone gives me an idea. Great job on the review.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

The title does indeed seem to indicate that, though it actually does mean that word used in the proper context. And it is without a doubt an excellent book about the lives of those caught up in the war.

Thanks for your great feedback! :D

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Sounds interesting, but not really my kind of read.
However...
rssllue wrote: The second reason is that the formatting of the story at times cut off the bottom portion of some letters throughout the book, which was kind of irritating. I cannot explicitly know if this is true for the book itself, or just was a problem that I couldn’t fix with my display in iBooks on my tablet.
Another argument for paper books! :shifty:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Too bad, because it is very well written. :) And you do have a valid point about print books.

Thanks for the feedback!

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! When I saw the book took place during the Korean War, my first thought was the same as yours....old M.A.S.H. reruns. It sounds like a very interesting story.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
rcrpnt8
Favorite Author: L. Todd Wood
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 62590

Post by rcrpnt8 »

It's a powerful reminder that Freedom is not free!
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! When I saw the book took place during the Korean War, my first thought was the same as yours....old M.A.S.H. reruns. It sounds like a very interesting story.
Thanj you very much. I guess that show really had quite the impact on our culture! And it is a very interesting story to say the least!
rcrpnt8 wrote:It's a powerful reminder that Freedom is not free!
There is definitely no doubt about that!

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review, rssllue! I love reading about a character's perspective that I've never experienced (i.e. being a soldier). It's that the author captured this well in this read. I'm not a big fan of much swearing in a book, but I'm glad that it didn't deter from your enjoyment! Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you very much for the feedback, hsimone!

Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

rssllue wrote:Thank you very much for the feedback, hsimone!
You are very welcome. :tiphat:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Great war books can be really interesting to read. I would love to check this one out!
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I don't know much about the Korean war. It sounds like an interesting book but I don't care to read books with a lot of profanity.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Return to “Historical Fiction”