Official Review: Entangled by S.B.K. Burns

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Entangled by S.B.K. Burns

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Entangled" by S.B.K. Burns.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are many novels that fall into the romance genre nowadays that it can be hard to find one that is unique and engaging. Entangled (Ages of Invention Book 1) by S.B.K Burns is quite the exception as it is an even mix of romance, fantasy and science fiction. Dawn Jamison, a Hume’n, is a doctoral student striving to earn her degree and enter into the desirable upper class of Cartesians who are defined as unemotional and self-disciplined. Dawn is currently part of the lower class (Hume’n), a group driven by their intense emotions. Dawn’s celebrity advisor tasks her with guiding a group of misfit students through her theories on past life regression; simply stated, Dawn must teach her students how to travel back in time to their past lives. Also in Dawn’s path is her advisor’s brother, Taylor, a weightlifting hunk who is a member of the Cartesian class. Though Taylor is bound by the etiquette of his class, his previous self, Colin, an 18th century mathematician linked with Dawn’s past self, lacks any similar restraint. Will Dawn's adventures with past life regression wreak havoc on the current timeline? And what will become of Dawn and Taylor? Will they be able to overcome their societal class differences or will they have to live out their romantic feelings in their past lives only?

Entangled is a very difficult novel to describe as many of the ideas on which the story is built are atypical. Time travel is a major theme of the novel, but it is time travel with a twist; those traveling back in time embody their past selves and, in many cases, share the mind as well as the body of their past self. I applaud the author’s ability to take such an overused theme (time travel) and create something different. The explanations of the character’s emotions while traveling back in time and sharing a conscious stream of thought with their past selves were the most fascinating passages of the novel. Are all the characters able to coexist in harmony with their past selves?

The novel is very well written; a combination of quick pacing and alluring characters makes Entangled hard to put down. Further, the romantic aspects of the book were skillfully handled by the author. The book never felt sleazy and the erotica scenes were well placed, genuinely adding to the storyline.

The one downfall of the novel is the overzealous science talk sprinkled throughout the narrative. Much of the scientific explanation behind the time travel felt confusing and overdone. From the beginning, the book requires a certain suspension of belief on the part of the reader that the overwhelming scientific explanations were simply not necessary. Luckily, these passages do not occur too often and therefore, do not take away from the enjoyment of the story

Entangled is a fast paced, steamy read that easily deserves 4 out of 4 stars. Though I thought some of the scientific elements of the story were farfetched and confusing, they didn’t detract from the overall pacing of the narrative. Any fans of romance, especially those who enjoy a time travel or sci-fi twist, will surely enjoy this book. Please note graphic sexual scenes are included in this story and for that reason, this book may not be suitable for all readers.

Entangled
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds interesting. I enjoy books that talk about class distinctions. I don't know if I would like the overly scientific explanations of time travel. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:This sounds interesting. I enjoy books that talk about class distinctions. I don't know if I would like the overly scientific explanations of time travel. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for taking the time to read my review! The class distinctions were very interesting - especially the idea that a person could move from one class to the next based on their educational level.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Seems like a great read. Though I also believe that time travel is an overused theme, 'time travel with a twist' sounds very intriguing. Great job on the review. Congratulations to S.B.K. Burns on such an obviously well written book.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Awesome review and a very interesting plot.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Katelyn Scott
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelyn-scott.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by Katelyn Scott »

I'm not sure if I'd like this book. I don't care for books that have romance as the center stage, but if it was balanced with other aspects of the novel, I might enjoy reading it.
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Seems like a great read. Though I also believe that time travel is an overused theme, 'time travel with a twist' sounds very intriguing. Great job on the review. Congratulations to S.B.K. Burns on such an obviously well written book.
Thank you! It was refreshing to read something a little different!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a good read for fans of the genre. Too bad about that the scientific elements of the story were confusing. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”