What are your thoughts on post apocalyptic stories?

Discuss the March 2017 Book of the Month, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

What are your thoughts on post apocalyptic stories?

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Station Eleven can be sorted into the post apocalyptic genre.
What are your thoughts on this genre?
Do you think that civilization will collapse one day?
If yes, then due to what will that happen or how much time will it take?

Do share your thoughts on this topic. :D :tiphat:
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

I am a big fan of the post apocalyptic/dystopian future genre. Societal collapse gives opportunity for non-alpha type heroes and their skills become valued. Its also nice to read about a world where there isn't the usual daily grind of work or school.

I think there will be partial collapses of civilisation, probably due to people not being able to share and play nice. A whole world collapse could be possible, but I'm not hoarding food and digging a bunker just yet.

What do you think Wasif?
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I am a fan of this genre as well. I like to see what others think our future will be like. There are so many possibilities.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I am also a fan of the genre. There's something about the End Of The World that just grabs me and won't let go. I wouldn't want to experience it first-hand though. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I used to be a fan of this genre, but I'm not anymore--that is, until I read this book!

I think there are a lot of possibilities for the future, and I'm curious to see how that goes. I don't expect something in particular, though.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

I LOVE post-apocalyptic stories! The Walking Dead, The Postman, The 100, even things like Mad Max... they highlight how differently people would act when law and order are things of the past and we have more to fear than boredom and missing a rent payment. They DO require great characters though, as that's what really makes or breaks a post-apocalyptic story.

As for whether it'll happen, I think it's inevitable to some extent. Whether it's a world war that changes life, some terrible natural disaster or just running out of enough natural resources to continue the way we are, eventually I think it has to happen. I'm sure I won't see it in my lifetime, though, which I'm happy about!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I also love a good post-apocalyptic book. But that's only because I don't really like to think about it happening in real life, only in books.
Cuevas_Sir
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cuevas_Sir »

They are good. Depending on how much fantasy is in it, they can be great!
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Post-apocalyptic stories can be fun, gripping, etc. However, I don't put a lot of stock into them. I believe how the Scripture says the world is going to end, and it is so awful, I don't believe it could be adequately put into a fiction book. Genuine horror!!! The very elements going all cataclysmic, among the standard death, disease and wars. But, for just the sake of entertainment... a good story is still a good story.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

I like some post-apocalyptic stories, but they have to have a solid plot and great characters. A book about the end of the world can't just be about the end of the world and needs other aspects for it to be appealing. I really liked how Station Eleven was so well written, had strong characters, and different stories from different points in time and from different perspectives.
I don't ever really think about it, but I'm sure the world will indeed end one day. I'm sick right now with a nasty cold, so the thought of the world's population being wiped out by illness is easy for me to picture : )
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I don't read a lot of post-apocalyptic books, but I am enjoying this one so far. For me, it's all about the writing and the plot. Some books in this genre are all about shock and awe rather than crafting good characters and an interesting story. I like it when the characters have to think outside the box since their world has completely changed and the same rules don't apply anymore.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Post by Sparkletime »

I think it's a fun subgenre of speculative fiction. What happens when it all goes wrong? I love that question and how different people interpret what it means and why. It's a limitless genre.
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I learned the hard way not to say that I absolutely hate a specific genre. A couple of authors proved me wrong...lol. I do believe that one day the world will end, just not sure when. These books can be fun and the different ways that the end of the world happen is just hilarious. I have read so many different stories that had the end of the world, and they all had different reasons.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I find the challenges that people face and how they rise to meet those challenges to be fascinating. I must admit that this is not the type of book that I normally read. I have read very few stories in this genre. I keep finding myself wondering - where are all the inventors and scientists? Did they all parish? I am almost finished with the book, so I don't know how it ends yet, but if civilization rose once and modern conveniences were invented once - why not again? I am looking forward to reaching the end of the story.
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

I'm a fan of the genre as well. I think post-apocalyptic stories give us an insight on how the world will possibly end. There's a lot to learn in this genre as well. For instance, I get to mentally prepare myself if such situations arise.

Return to “Discuss "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel”