Official Review: The Color Of Murder by Loretta Moore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: The Color Of Murder by Loretta Moore

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Color Of Murder" by Loretta Moore.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Color of Murder by Loretta Moore revolves around Kevin Johnson, a young African-American attorney who has been brought to court as the lawyer of murder accused-Matthew Cook.

Matthew Cook is a black drug dealer who has been accused of allegedly murdering 69 year old, Charlotte Knowles. Everyone is sure that he was the one who committed the crime. In spite of this, his lawyer, Kevin Johnson starts having doubts in the first five minutes of conversation with his client. This is when the suspense starts to build up. If he wasn't the murderer then who was it? Even though there is a long list of family members who could have done it to get their share of Mrs. Knowles's wealth, it doesn't seem likely that anyone in this reputable and wealthy family would have done it.

This novel not only focuses on solving the mystery behind who murdered Charlotte Knowles, but also deals with other issues concerning the life of the protagonist-Kevin Johnson. Kevin has been broken ever since the death of his wife-Chanel. The only thing that makes him get up and go to work is the precious thing that Chanel left before departing, a 6 year old son. Ever since Chanel's death, Kevin was never able to find new love, but his eye does catch a woman who he has a mere acquaintance with in his past.

The author, who is of the same nationality as that of the protagonist also makes a slight emphasis on the discrimination faced by blacks. There are also a few court room scenes in this novel which have been written in such a way that they seem really exciting. There is also ample amount of suspense which is necessary for books belonging to this genre. The thing I loved about this novel is how two to three storylines have been merged into one plot. The style of writing of the author is to be appreciated as it compels one to read on and on.

There are also a few things I disliked in this novel. For one, there were too many characters in this short novel. I sometimes had to swipe back through the pages to recall who the character actually was. Secondly, the profiles of family members made by Kevin's partner-Pete, which comprise a major part in the middle half of the novel were a bit boring to read. Lastly, I stumbled upon a few grammatical errors and typos in the novel as well.

I would have rated this book 2.5 stars if I could, but I believe that it deserves a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I was giving it 2.5 stars after deducting one star for the typos and grammatical errors and 0.5 stars for the other things I mentioned in the previous paragraph. I didn't give it 2 stars as there were only a few typos in this novel which didn't have much effect on the reader overall. I also really enjoyed reading this book and I am confident others will too. The book was written in second person and is of 69 pages. Lastly, if you like reading suspenseful novels then you could check this exciting read out.

The Color Of Murder
View: on Bookshelves

Like Wasif Ahmed's review? Post a comment saying so!
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Sounds like a whole ton of action for one short 69-page book! Glad that you enjoyed it.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:Sounds like a whole ton of action for one short 69-page book! Glad that you enjoyed it.
Yes definitely. Thanks for reading my review @"greenstripedgiraffe". :tiphat: :D
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does sound like a pretty interesting short novel. Too bad there are so many mistakes, especially with that length.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

kandscreeley wrote:This does sound like a pretty interesting short novel. Too bad there are so many mistakes, especially with that length.
Yes, but if you think you might enjoy this book, you could give it a try. The errors are there but there are only a few. Thanks for reading my review @"kandscreeley". :tiphat: :D
whytfinga
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by whytfinga »

I read the book ? and it has typos, and grammatical errors, but it is not very much visible, but for the record people that want to learn English language use of word it wouldn't encourage them, I noticed those errors, because I have been versatile with the use of English, The enticing part is the way the story was reported, from a second persons view, makes me appreciate the use of report in the contest.
I rate this book a 2stars out of 4stars.
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

whytfinga wrote:I read the book ? and it has typos, and grammatical errors, but it is not very much visible, but for the record people that want to learn English language use of word it wouldn't encourage them, I noticed those errors, because I have been versatile with the use of English, The enticing part is the way the story was reported, from a second persons view, makes me appreciate the use of report in the contest.
I rate this book a 2stars out of 4stars.
I agree. Thanks for reading my review. :tiphat: :D
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Very interesting. I am bound to give it a try
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Shreyoshi Sen wrote:Very interesting. I am bound to give it a try
Definitely. Thanks for reading my review! :tiphat: :D
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

It looks like an interesting read and that too in 69 pages. The title color of murder is also very intriguing and compels a reader to go through the book.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

The Researcher wrote:It looks like an interesting read and that too in 69 pages. The title color of murder is also very intriguing and compels a reader to go through the book.
Thanks for reading my review. :tiphat:
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Sounds like it deserved 3 out of 4 stars. Any book does that is a page-turner, with a plot that makes sense, and few typos. Unless there is another major problem, plot and suspense by themselves are major accomplishments.

I can sympathize with the "too many characters" problem. I encounter that quite a bit, especially in mystery or action stories that involve a lot of subplots. Even in books I would consider perfect (such as some by Dick Francis), I sometimes lose track of minor-but-important characters, especially if their names resemble those of other characters.

Thanks for this review. Your second paragraph already has me wanting to pick up the book.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

H0LD0Nthere wrote:Sounds like it deserved 3 out of 4 stars. Any book does that is a page-turner, with a plot that makes sense, and few typos. Unless there is another major problem, plot and suspense by themselves are major accomplishments.

I can sympathize with the "too many characters" problem. I encounter that quite a bit, especially in mystery or action stories that involve a lot of subplots. Even in books I would consider perfect (such as some by Dick Francis), I sometimes lose track of minor-but-important characters, especially if their names resemble those of other characters.

Thanks for this review. Your second paragraph already has me wanting to pick up the book.
You are welcome. Hope you enjoy the book. :tiphat: :D
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

It's rare that you can find so much in such a short novel. The story sounds very interesting, and I enjoyed reading your thorough review.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

LivreAmour217 wrote:It's rare that you can find so much in such a short novel. The story sounds very interesting, and I enjoyed reading your thorough review.
Thanks @LivreAmour217 :tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”