Official Review: Symphony of Silence by Wes Thomas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: Symphony of Silence by Wes Thomas

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Symphony of Silence" by Wes Thomas.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wes Thomas takes his readers on a journey of self-discovery and exploration in Symphony of Silence: A Legend Of Our Future. In most stories, there is only one true protagonist. In Symphony of Silence, two strong protagonists emerge to tell a story of who they were, who they are and who they will become. Benjamin and Jahalla each tell their own stories, sharing their past with their readers, with each chapter typically dedicated to just one character’s point of view and experiences.

Symphony of Silence is set in the future, approximately 1,000 years from now. It was interesting to see that, while the author depicted life as being very different in some ways, people largely remained the same. The parts of the story that occurred on Earth made it seem like Earth was a completely different physical place than the one we know today.

Benjamin spent much of his formative and young adult years in a futuristic dominion called Hyvve. He was married, had a daughter and worked on a top-secret artificial intelligence program. Benjamin suddenly finds himself out of work, out of his marriage and looking for a new life. He finds himself on a journey of self-discovery as he goes to the Fringe and the Underlands (you will have to read the story to learn about them; too many spoilers if I explain them too much here!). Eventually, he is led to explore his future in a more meaningful way. His dream had always been to explore the universe, starting with the Milky Way, and possibly other galaxies. Benjamin becomes a space transporter, transporting spacecraft that take years to arrive at their new location. Watching how art helps him to appreciate the vast universe is fascinating, as he explores in ways that we cannot imagine in today’s world. This is where he really begins to learn about himself and who he wants to be.

Jahalla grew up in what were called the Tribal Lands and the Underlands. References are made to things such as Shaman, ancient gods and goddesses, and other mythology, making one think of both Native Americans and ancient civilizations, such as Egypt, Greece and Rome. There were so many similarities yet it was so very different. Jahalla was also married in her early life but had to leave her husband and son. She leans heavily on those ancient traditions as she embarks on her own journey of self-discovery. Jahalla’s journey takes her into outer space as well. She is a part of a crew assigned to work with the Synns, the artificial intelligence “beings” that she had initially helped program many years ago. This space journey allows her to go to many places, including the space station “Z”, where a whole civilization has been built. The crew she is with for most of her physical journey becomes like family, helping her to explore her spiritual journey. Watching her ponder the joys as well as the sadness in life reminds one of the journeys many of us make as we seek out the meaning of life and our part in it.

As Symphony of Silence culminates, there are discoveries that help both Jahalla and Benjamin truly realize the beauty of life and their purposeful place in it. To tell you more would simply spoil the story. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The story as a whole is an inspiring journey but at times seems to drag on. There are errors in both spelling and chapter labeling (repeating chapter numbers) that can distract, but they are only found in small doses. Note that there are some explicit sexual scenes, but they do not distract from the overall storyline; in fact, unlike many stories, they add to the journey of self-discovery.

Symphony of Silence
View: on Bookshelves

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Well, this sounds like a good story premise. I do think that people will still have the same emotions, struggles, etc., in a very distant future if the physical earth lasts that long. Too bad about the explicit scenes and a somewhat dragging pace at times.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
sangeeta tangri
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sangeeta tangri »

simple story but effective impression. what a collection of words and go so far in imagination.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:Well, this sounds like a good story premise. I do think that people will still have the same emotions, struggles, etc., in a very distant future if the physical earth lasts that long. Too bad about the explicit scenes and a somewhat dragging pace at times.

I think the same way. The struggles might not look the same on the outside but the way they wear on people on the inside is much the same.
SpiderDreamer1

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

Interesting. There's a trickiness, though, to basing fake religions of off real ones by white authors, causing some to accuse them of cannibalizing non-white cultures and religions. How does this book handle that potential pitfall?
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

SpiderDreamer1 wrote:Interesting. There's a trickiness, though, to basing fake religions of off real ones by white authors, causing some to accuse them of cannibalizing non-white cultures and religions. How does this book handle that potential pitfall?
Interesting question. I have no idea what the race or ethnicity of the author, Wes Thomas. The book is fiction so it doesn't specifically address issues regarding that aspect.

-- 11 Mar 2017, 12:39 --
sangeeta tangri wrote:simple story but effective impression. what a collection of words and go so far in imagination.
I'm not sure that I would call this story "simple". There were rather complex relationships, in new and rather elaborate settings.
SpiderDreamer1

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

Well, either way, it seems like he pulled it off well within the story.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

SpiderDreamer1 wrote:Well, either way, it seems like he pulled it off well within the story.
He did so, quite well.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds interesting as I do love to see people's opinions about what our future will be like. Still, I don't think it's one I would enjoy. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kandscreeley wrote:This sounds interesting as I do love to see people's opinions about what our future will be like. Still, I don't think it's one I would enjoy. Thanks for the review, though.
This was by far the most imaginative view of the future that I've ever seen. The great thing about reviews is that they really do help us pick and choose what to read next.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Two protagonists each of a journey of self discovery-I will definitely check into this one. Thanks for the great review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”