Official Review: The Weapon of My Delusion

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Official Review: The Weapon of My Delusion

Post by James Craft »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Weapon of My Delusion" by Ambrose Vendetto Bruno.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Weapon of My Delusion by Ambrose Vendetto Bruno is a fictional tale of the KBH and the MCC crime rings. It uses gossip, theories, and facts to tell the story about what happened in autumn of 1996. It is the author’s version of the events because everyone who could actually explain what happened is six-feet under.

This was a wholly unique book in some ways. The descriptions of characters and ideas were often very interesting in how they were described. For example, the woman Joe loved was called his ‘woman of the Euphrates’ throughout the beginning of the story and the author constantly refers to the Essence, or his Essence. The Essence occasionally gets caught in a blender and grinded up during scenes that are emotional and heart wrenching for Joe. Certain parts of the book felt abstract at times, and the author created some clever and interesting ways of symbolizing how Joe felt during different situations.

In addition to the abstract descriptions of emotion, there were certain depictions of events throughout the book that were handled with casual brilliance. For example, there is a scene in which Joe is talking to his lover about how he only has a few things to finish before they can leave for Paris and get married. She questions his decision, but he deals with a Quarry in front of her and reinforces their desire to achieve this goal before moving on. The most meaningful part of this section is afterwards when Joe goes off and interacts with many other partiers. Eventually we come to this line in the story: ‘He staggered off as far as the rail might take him. He trusted it. The thing seemed loyal, like a pet wolf.’ Such descriptions and alliterations in this story are always well-crafted and it is clear the author put a lot of care into crafting these moments.

However, the book was not without problems: one of the weakest aspects of the entire work was the formatting. For example, everything is left-aligned rather than justified, and the indentation at the beginning of new sections and chapters was incorrect. There should have been no indentation to start new sections. Also, each chapter began with a partial line of all-caps which felt entirely unnecessary. These mistakes had a compounding effect that made this feel less like a novel and more like a college term paper at various points.

That being said, even though the presentation was lacking, the story was not. The Weapon of My Delusion by Ambrose Vendetto Bruno was a fun and interesting read and it earns a 3 out of 4 star rating for trying to do something new and creative. The author had a very tongue-in-cheek way of writing that really brought the story to life, and certain characters like Nadine helped counterbalance Joe. This book broke a lot of molds and was very clever even though certain parts of the execution were lacking. All in all, I think that anyone who enjoys stories that tell a dramatic series of events but with a lot of humor and crazy moments mixed in will really love this book.

The Weapon of My Delusion
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on Smashwords

Like James Craft's review? Post a comment saying so!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Very nice review! I'm not aware of the events that the book is based upon, but the story does sound interesting.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

As with LivreAmour I am unaware of the events, but it sounds like a very interesting story. I like to read someone's take on things that we won't ever QUITE know about. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

kandscreeley wrote:As with LivreAmour I am unaware of the events, but it sounds like a very interesting story. I like to read someone's take on things that we won't ever QUITE know about. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for stopping by and was certainly interesting!
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

The Essence sounds like a character that will make readers laugh a lot because she always gets into trouble. An author with a subtle sense of humor is always a delight to read. Great review James Craft!
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

Cee-Jay Aurinko wrote:The Essence sounds like a character that will make readers laugh a lot because she always gets into trouble. An author with a subtle sense of humor is always a delight to read. Great review James Craft!
Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy the book! Thanks for stopping by!
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

Very intriguing! I Don't really know much about those times, so it would be interesting to read even though it is fiction. To bad about the issues it had, that can definitely take away from a novel. Great review!
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

Acwoolet wrote:Very intriguing! I Don't really know much about those times, so it would be interesting to read even though it is fiction. To bad about the issues it had, that can definitely take away from a novel. Great review!
Thanks so much for saying so! Thanks for stopping by! I really appreciate it!
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Super intriguing review. The book sounds really interesting, and any books about organized crime are right up my alley. Thanks for putting this together.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

Lincoln wrote:Super intriguing review. The book sounds really interesting, and any books about organized crime are right up my alley. Thanks for putting this together.
Organized crime isn't really my thing, but sometimes it can be super interesting, and this book is definitely interesting. It fit into a lot of genres which was really cool.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”