Too Stupid

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Too Stupid

Post by kandscreeley »

I was greatly enjoying reading books here and doing reviews. I am critical of most books anyway and love to read. I have a bachelor's degree and thought myself educated enough to review these books. However, I am lately being proved wrong. Too many authors are coming after me for items about which I have written in my reviews or private blurbs. I guess I'm too stupid after all.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Sorry this happened to you. Don't take it personally. It happens to all of us at one point or another. I once had an author complain that I didn't mention his "favorite" part of the ending. I responded that my responsbility was to write MY favorite part or parts of the ending and also include a few tie-ins to other parts of the book to prove I read the entire book...which I did. I think many authors are sensitive and get annoyed at the reviewers if they don't get everything they want. The rules for the authors are clear - they are paying for an honest review. As for an author "coming after you" for what you wrote in the review, authors are not allowed to contact the reviewers directly for any reason. If an author does that, you should let Scott know.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:Sorry this happened to you. Don't take it personally. It happens to all of us at one point or another. I once had an author complain that I didn't mention his "favorite" part of the ending. I responded that my responsbility was to write MY favorite part or parts of the ending and also include a few tie-ins to other parts of the book to prove I read the entire book...which I did. I think many authors are sensitive and get annoyed at the reviewers if they don't get everything they want. The rules for the authors are clear - they are paying for an honest review. As for an author "coming after you" for what you wrote in the review, authors are not allowed to contact the reviewers directly for any reason. If an author does that, you should let Scott know.
:text-yeahthat:

If an author bothers you, you should contact Scott about it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks guys. I just had an author make me feel really stupid after reading his book. I missed a nuance in his ending. I didn't realize it required a doctorate to read his book, and I hate being made to feel stupid. I know that the private blurb is there to prove that we read the book, because we are being paid. However, I don't think it gives the author the right to knock you down because you didn't get out of the book what he wanted you to.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

kandscreeley wrote:Thanks guys. I just had an author make me feel really stupid after reading his book. I missed a nuance in his ending. I didn't realize it required a doctorate to read his book, and I hate being made to feel stupid. I know that the private blurb is there to prove that we read the book, because we are being paid. However, I don't think it gives the author the right to knock you down because you didn't get out of the book what he wanted you to.
The way I look at it, sometimes a point the author is trying to make is too subtle and vague. The author's message can often get lost due to a confusing or busy plot. I've read books where the plot goes off track in too many directions. Also, the writing style can be the reason. That's not the reader's fault. If you don't think the author's complaint about the private blurb was justified, you can contact Scott about it. I don't think it's fair if you did your job by explaining what you liked or didn't like about the ending, as long as you included a few tibdits from other parts of the story. Then you did your part in showing you read the entire book. The only time I can see an author having the right to complain is if a reviewer only wrote something about the end - then it might not be clear that you read the rest of the book.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks bookowlie. You've made me feel better. I did a synopsis of the entire plot as well as talking about the ending, so I know that's not the problem. I did contact Scott. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

You're welcome. Either way it turns out, try not to take it personally. Some authors can be petty.
Masinde
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masinde.html

Post by Masinde »

The directives and conditions highlighted in the FAQs states, at no point should the reviewer talk to the authour in any case.Too,the reviewer has to be honest and write out what he really found in the book while reading.The auther getting to you was wrong and I must appreciate you for raising this without concealment.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”