Can e-books replace paperbacks?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Can e-books replace paperbacks?

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

Not at ALL. Paperbacks are what started the whole reading revolution of sorts and an e-reader will not be able to take that away.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

It's possible but I don't believe so. I believe that paperbacks will always exist in some can of way. E-books can go down and you have no information to read. However you can reach over and pick up a paperback and continue to read.
Catherine and AJ
Currently Reading: Harry potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reading Device: B002Y27P3M

Post by Catherine and AJ »

I find e-books to be pretty convenient, especially when I'm traveling, but I really hope they don't replace paperbacks. I have always been one to carry around a book to read while I am waiting for something, especially for my doctor's appointments or for my car to be finished with an oil change. However, even with how convenient my Kindle is, I still usually carry around my paperbacks. With my Kindle, even though it has a long-lasting battery, I end up worrying about if it's going to die. I can also focus more when I'm reading my paperbacks versus reading books on my Kindle. I think there will always be a place for paperbacks, but there will also be a place for e-books as well (until something more high-tech comes along to replace that). Even with computers, we still use paper, so I could see where e-books would not completely replace paperbacks.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I think it depends on the situation, ebooks are easier to read on the go while it is still nice to be able to read, smell and collect print books. I doubt if ebooks can ever replace paperbacks.
constantine265
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constantine265.html
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch

Post by constantine265 »

I believe it is already happening. The process will take some time, maybe century or so, but in the end it will happen (when our generations and habbit/nostalgia of using paper dies out.) Same thing happened with hand-written books, after the discovery of press. Paper-books will become colectors only item. No doubt, they are more beautiful than e-books, but hand-written books were art compared to printed books . On the upper hand, we'll save a lots of trees when we stop using paper.
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch
Ariane Shayne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ariane Shayne »

I love the scent of papers on my hand, and when i love hugging paperbacks after reading a book.. makes me love reading more.. just saying

-- 06 Mar 2017, 00:33 --

I love the scent of papers on my hand, and when i love hugging paperbacks after reading a book.. makes me love reading more.. just saying

-- 06 Mar 2017, 00:37 --

Nope, its like leaving your one true love
sagejace957
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sagejace957.html

Post by sagejace957 »

I love the convenience of ereaders for travel and it's large virtual library. However, nothing can ever replace libraries or physical books. We can learn so much historically from a book just by looking at it's age. We would lose so much to extinguish them altogether.
Mukkarram

Post by Mukkarram »

no i dont think so..

-- 12 Mar 2017, 09:05 --

I find e-books to be pretty convenient, especially when I'm traveling, but I really hope they don't replace paperbacks. I have always been one to carry around a book to read while I am waiting for something, especially for my doctor's appointments or for my car to be finished with an oil change. However, even with how convenient my Kindle is, I still usually carry around my paperbacks. With my Kindle, even though it has a long-lasting battery, I end up worrying about if it's going to die. I can also focus more when I'm reading my paperbacks versus reading books on my Kindle. I think there will always be a place for paperbacks, but there will also be a place for e-books as well (until something more high-tech comes along to replace that). Even with computers, we still use paper, so I could see where e-books would not completely replace paperbacks.

-- 12 Mar 2017, 09:05 --

Thats my idea.. i shared it while reading thats upward mentioned
Immaculata Uduma
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculata-uduma.html

Post by Immaculata Uduma »

E-book cannot replace paperback!But when you talk of convenience and availability,e-book answers it.With your reading device you can easily have access to e-book any time,any day.
Eyrin

Post by Eyrin »

Can be because of convenience but i'd still prefer the paperbacks so i hope it will still be available in the next years.
Meyana055
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meyana055.html

Post by Meyana055 »

I don't mind reading on my Kindle, but there is nothing more satisfying then holding a book in my hand. Its something about turning the pages and smelling the paper whiling reading. Makes me feel like a kid again!
Jessica Samuelsen
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-samuelsen.html
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jessica Samuelsen »

I prefer to read in the e-book format. I will buy the e-book even if I have access to the physical copy. I keep physical copies as mementos mostly anymore. I collect books from my childhood and books from my local favorite authors. Other than that I stick to e-books they are just much more efficient.
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

EmperorOfBooks wrote:Not at ALL. Paperbacks are what started the whole reading revolution of sorts and an e-reader will not be able to take that away.
True. I think ebooks will be around to stay, but paperback isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It depends on the person. For me, no, I like both but I still have a great amount of love for paperbacks. I have heard people say that they don't buy paper books anymore because its more convenient on their device.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I certainly hope that e-books never replace paper books. While I have grown to love my kindle, I also love the feeling of holding a book in my hands and being able to turn the pages. What I love most is shopping and collecting books. I will be perfectly happy to have both versions be relevant in our world.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”