Official Review: Jake and the man-eating Picnic Basket

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Jake and the man-eating Picnic Basket

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jake and the man-eating Picnic Basket" by Peter Preston.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you’re looking for a book for older children or middle grade readers, Jake and the Man-Eating Picnic Basket by Peter Preston would be a pleasurable read for those who enjoy science fiction novels. Jake and his grandfather both have a love for science. However, while Jake is trying to come up with a hybrid plant that could create healthy alternatives to junk food and end the world’s hunger problems, his quirky grandfather is inventing insane machines (mostly to “cure” Jake of his stutter) that end up causing more harm or embarrassment than contributing to anything useful.

After an accident at Jake’s science fair, local residents begin to go missing. Concerned that his plant growth formula had something to connect the two unlikely events, Jake does some investigating and discovers a sentient, mutant plant-picnic basket that is mind-controlling residents for its own evil schemes. Jake and his family then begin to work together to come up with a way to stop the horrible creature from controlling and destroying their town. For once, his grandfather’s wacky inventions just might come in handy.

This book is great for readers who are too old for children’s books but aren’t quite ready for typical young adult books. I especially like how this book is gender neutral and doesn’t seem to be targeted toward a single gender; girls and boys can equally enjoy this story. It contains a lot of scientific information and isn’t dumbed down for the younger audience. As a teacher, I personally appreciate seeing written works that encourage the growth of language and knowledge, as opposed to using more simplified language and concepts that don’t teach readers anything they don’t already know.

That being said, I did come across several grammatical errors that could have been skimmed over in the editing process. In a book for this target audience, I think it’s especially important to present flawless writing so that readers (who are also potential future writers) can build a good foundation for grammar and writing. I would also like to point out that this book takes place in England and uses a lot of English slang and cultural references that I, as an American, am a little clueless about. I suspect that younger readers would not understand some of these at all. We can always look them up on the internet if we’re curious, but I thought that many readers would appreciate having some kind of “glossary” to explain these references that don’t translate well across dialects and oceans.

There are a lot difficult concepts and plot points presented in the story, and a few times I questioned whether I really understood what was going on. Other times I questioned whether certain characters or elements of the plot were really necessary in the story at all. However, I enjoyed this book as a whole, and I wouldn’t feel comfortable or honest giving it a low rating. With a final rating of 3 out of 4 stars, I recommend this book to young lovers of science fiction who are willing to commit to a challenging read.

Jake and the man-eating Picnic Basket
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ALynnPowers's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does sound intriguing, but I could see how some of the plots might be difficult. Thanks for a thorough review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This is a fairly hilarious concept. What an imagination! I do guess that the target age would find it hysterical. I hope the author takes your suggestions about editing, etc. Thanks for the review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Atchamah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Atchamah »

The best book that I have read
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Hmmmm...I'm undecided about whether to recommend this to my 10 yr old. I think the grammatical errors are going to prevent me from doing that but I might give it a read myself before I decide. Thanks for your review!
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
perera
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by perera »

This is a good book for children to read.They can enhance their knowledge and also they can develop their creativity.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

A very interesting book for science lovers.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Eanzy
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eanzy »

when writing a book, slangs and native languages should be interpreted for easier understanding by the readers especially when the book is meant to be used for educational purposes
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Takes me back to my "Goosebumps" reading days. This sounds like a fun book to read. Thanks for your review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Children's Books”