Official Review: The Maid of Salerno by Vi Zetterwall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: The Maid of Salerno by Vi Zetterwall

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Maid of Salerno" by Vi Zetterwall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Maid of Salerno is the first volume of a new dystopian series by author Vi Zetterwall. Three more volumes are expected for this series, which stars Cassie Serrell, who earns the nickname “the Maid of Salerno” thanks to her dedication to working around her small town of Salerno. What begins as an insult forms into an honorable title as Cassie proves her worth, not just to Salerno, but to the entire country.

Years after The Darkening, the technological disaster that left the United States without electricity, political leadership, government, and a working economy, the country is in ruins, especially for those in poor towns like Salerno that have been cut off from the rest of the world. Work and money are hard to come by, and Cassie works non-stop to provide for herself and her Nana Rose. Though they barely have enough food to eat each day, Cassie keeps working hard and studying throughout her teenage years, with dreams to somehow improve the quality of life for her family and the rest of her town. Meanwhile, a group of wealthy business-people are sent on a mission to find a woman who will be the key to reforming the country. It’s only a matter of time before Cassie meets up with this wealthy group, but there are so many obstacles standing in her way, starting with the magistrate who is declaring war on Salerno.

This book would be great for readers like me who enjoy young adult dystopian novels with just a touch of paranormal woven into the text. I found those tidbits of the paranormal to be the most interesting parts of the story; they were subtle enough to be believable while leaving me anxious to read more. So many other subtle elements are woven into the story as well, which further increased my enjoyment of this book. The dialect of the characters is realistic and fun to read. Poverty and social inequality are common themes throughout the book, and many young readers would benefit from awareness of such issues.

Following Cassie over a few years of her life was much more enjoyable to me than reading about the wealthy people, and I had fully planned on complaining about it in this review. However, the author threw in that touch of paranormal that snapped my interest back into place. By the last third of the book, as the two plot-lines began to merge together into one cohesive story, I couldn’t put it down. In the end, I can’t complain about anything in the story, aside from a couple of formatting inconsistencies that are easy to overlook.

I give The Maid of Salerno a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would definitely recommend this book to those who enjoy a gripping dystopian story, as this one contains a lot of believable elements that might have readers questioning their dependency on technology and the consequences of a life without such conveniences. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

The Maid of Salerno
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ALynnPowers's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy a good dystopian read. This sounds very interesting. I'll have to look into this. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Zohaib Ahmed
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Zohaib Ahmed »

This seems like my type of read. :) Great Review by the way
Katelyn Scott
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelyn-scott.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by Katelyn Scott »

Sounds like an interesting take on the dystopian genre. Don't see many these days that don't go pretty sci-fi on you.
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great read with admirable character. I love dystopian and paranormal novels and I think I'm going to like this one. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Vi Zetterwall on such an obviously well written book.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

It's not my usual go-to genre, but you made it sounds very interesting! Great review!
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

This sounds like something I'd enjoy! Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Cassie's story as the Maid of Salerno appears promising. I haven't sampled it yet, but I look forward to reading about such a strong female character!
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review! A gripping young adult dystopian with a bit of paranormal? Sounds very exciting! I really like the subtle paranormal aspects that are almost believable here. It makes me curious about the read. Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Dystopian, coming-of-age, and paranormal? Sounds interesting. I like it when the dialect of the characters is realistic, so will check it out. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

This book sounds like it could happen any day in out political world right now. Nice review! I look forward to reading the book!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This book sounds really interesting. I especially like the fact that it covers serious issues like poverty and class discrimination. These are issues that we have faced in Americas for centuries, so I appreciate the touch of realism. I also like that there is some paranormal in the story as well. This just serves to make the book more appealing to a broad range of people.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1427
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

For a book not in my preferred genre, it sure does sound good! Your review was really helpful...thank you! I like the themes that the book explores as well as the idea of life without technology, which many individuals in the YA age range might take for granted today, since it is all they have ever known. I can't wait to find out if Cassie is the one who leads the people back to what they once were! Congrats to the author!
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. A dystopian novel with a touch of the paranormal is exactly what I enjoy. This sounds like a book right up my alley. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

The review is very nice and The Maid of Salerno sounds quiet promising. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”