Official Review: Melhara by Jocelyn Tollefson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Melhara by Jocelyn Tollefson

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Melhara" by Jocelyn Tollefson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kyra is leading a fairly great life in her 30s. Her new boss is a jerk but she's quite happily married and has a child. She even has a best friend that knows she's a witch - and can do magic herself! Best of all, the family is going on vacation. When she, her husband James and 8-year-old son Xavier change hotel plans at the last minute things really start going crazy. Two hillbillies drug Kyra and take her, along with her family, to a secluded home where Kyra also finds her mother, her sister Hailey and her husband, and her best friend Alexis along with her brother Axel. To free them all and save her mother from hell she agrees to join forces with Alastor, an immortal demon, and fulfill her fate.

Melhara by Jocelyn Tollefson is a wild ride of an adventure with a plot that kept me hooked from the first page that spoke of her terrifying dreams until the end. Kyra is a woman torn between the mysterious abilities she discovers at an early age and being medicated for them, forcing her to hide her true self. Alastor - a demon in Lucifer's own bloodline - is able to play on this inner conflict of hers by celebrating her strength and showing her just how much she can do. Despite reluctantly joining his side and the warnings in her dreams, she falls for Alastor and becomes enchanted by his plans. Often the villain of a story has a pretty weak plan, but Alastor's is brilliant in its simplicity - he and Kyra, an unstoppable duo, seek to cause utter chaos and turn good people evil by eradicating the government and the legal system, effectively creating a permanent version of The Purge.

Kyra and Alastor being so unstoppable would normally make for a cheap, unfair advantage, but Kyra's friends and family have something just as good. When Kyra reluctantly joined Alastor she made an ironclad deal with him that they be kept safe from him and any lackeys he may have. This essentially makes Alexis, Axel, Hailey, Nick, Iris, James and Xavier unstoppable as well, and they have a solid plan of their own. Kyra is the only one who can stop Alastor, and if they can just get through to her then good will prevail over evil once again. Alexis and Axel are also both powerful witches, able to pull plenty of tricks out of their own sleeves as well. It all comes together and makes for a unique, balanced battlefield filled with angels, demons and witches.

While the plot is unique and the sides are balanced well, it's the characters themselves I really felt could have used more polish. Most of the characters have their own moments to shine and let their personalities out a bit, but I didn't feel any of them were particularly strong. I would have loved more scenes where the characters could interact with one another beyond just furthering the plot.

Along with the characters, the plot sometimes seemed to progress just a little too fast. The action in the book wasn't always the easiest to follow and there were some really fantastic settings that are explored, but then they're barely touched upon beyond what's necessary. The book ends with lots more to do (although it IS effectively a solid ending for this book), and Jocelyn's Goodreads author page states that there will be two more books in the series, so I'm hoping these areas will be explored again.

Overall, however, Melhara succeeds on most fronts. I didn't want to put it down, I want to continue reading the series, the plot was unique and neither the villains nor the heroes felt unfairly overpowered. I also only found 3 grammatical errors in the entire book! These points all make it easy for me to give this title 3 out of 4 stars. I'd recommend the book to anyone who loves fantasy, angels vs demons, magic, a unique plot and chaos. It's worth mentioning, however, that there are a couple sex scenes in the book. While they're minimally explicit, it does make it so I can't personally recommend it to anyone under 18.

Melhara
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Nice review. I love a book that keeps me hooked from the first page to the last. Too bad about the characters, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

A really great and well written review. This doesn't seem like my kind-of read though.
Congratulations to the author on getting a great review.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for another great review, CataclysmicKnight! Wow - witches, angels and demons, magic, and a unique plot makes this sound like a great adventure! Too bad about the some of the action scenes not being easy to follow. However, I'm glad that you were you able to enjoy this read!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Witches, Demons, Angels, and magic?? Sounds intriguing! I like dark fantasy. Too bad the action wasn't always easy to follow. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

This sounds terrifically twisted, and your comparison to The Purge was awesome :D
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I'm a fan of dark fantasy and this sounds like a very entertaining take on it. I'm intrigued by the fact that Kyra must team up on the side of evil while her family tries to snap her out of it. Thanks for the great review!
Aakaraw
Currently Reading: The Invisible Man
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aakaraw.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aakaraw »

Great review...i'd like to read this book. It would be interesting
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review for what sounds like a great read. Read the blurb on Amazon and with a demon apocalypse on the horizon can't resist reading this. Add in angels and witches and to me you have a hit. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Agree with you on your point about the characterization. I'm glad you enjoyed the book overall. Thank You for the honest and well written review.
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Post by ktrae910 »

I don't think this is one I'll be reading. I've begun to believe that trivializing and glamorizing evil is dangerous to a Christian soul. I know it's just fantasy story and I've read more than my fair share, but it works to desensitize Christians to the real dangers that are out there. Feel free to ignore this if you disagree.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

Thank you for the honest review. While this book doesn't sound like one I would personally choose, it does sound like one many others might enjoy. I think the concept that the protection offered to the main character's family members renders them virtually unbeatable by the villain is an interesting and useful concept!
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Sounds interesting. The sex scenes might be a little much (not usually my thing) but otherwise the book sounds pretty good.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Congrats on the smooth review. I'm not a fan of adult scenes, but the story line seems to be quite thrilling.
sprakasarao
Currently Reading: Junior Inquisitor
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sprakasarao.html

Post by sprakasarao »

Witches and demons is all that the book contains. The review clearly demonstrates this without hiding anything.

-- 02 Mar 2017, 11:57 --

Witches and demons is all that the book contains. The review clearly demonstrates this without hiding anything.

-- 02 Mar 2017, 11:57 --

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”