Official Review: A Book for Oreo by Caralee Jardine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: A Book for Oreo by Caralee Jardine

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Book for Oreo" by Caralee Jardine.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For many people, 2016 will go down as one of the worst years in recent history. After reading A Book for Oreo by Caralee Jardine I've certainly discovered another reason - the unfortunate passing of Caralee's cat Oreo. Despite a long life of being loved like the family he was, Oreo's passing comes across as painful a loss as any fictional character.

A Book for Oreo is a heartwarming collection of anecdotes and events that Oreo and Caralee share. The book begins with their first meeting: Caralee's sister-in-law was looking for a new puppy and Caralee decided to look at all the kitties while she was there. She wasn't looking for a pet, in fact her landlord wouldn't allow her to have a pet anyway. However, as she walked by one little kitty his paw shot out to her arm and it was love at first sight. It wasn't easy, but she got Oreo the night before he would have been put to sleep. What follows are some sweet, hilarious, adorable and sad moments that absolutely hit me right in the feels as much as the best Pixar movies do.

Each chapter tells a tale or two about Caralee's life with Oreo. The entire book is very well edited, and I really enjoyed the use of photos between chapters. The book is really genuine, it's clear Caralee really opened up and let us into their life. At one point in the book Caralee ends up with a second kitty, Alley, who was badly mistreated. The differences between the two cats really seemed like two siblings, which makes the end of the book all the more touching.

Typically I have a pretty easy time finding at least something negative to say about a book. However, even after reflecting on the book days after finishing it I can't think of a single thing. The book is so sweet, so well written, and the perfect length (just shy of 100 pages). It's something I can easily see myself reading again and again, and I highly recommend it to everyone, especially those who have or had a cat as a pet.

It's certainly easy for me to give A Book for Oreo by Caralee Jardine 4 out of 4 stars. The book was written as a dedication to the life of Oreo, and Caralee absolutely succeeded. After going through some amazing moments throughout Oreo's 15+ years with Caralee and the fantastic photos she included, she has a poem and letters to Oreo after he's passed on. She even has a list of biblical passages that the end of the book related to animals. The themes of hope, faith and God's love are woven throughout the pages without forcing religion on the reader, making it exceptional for people of faith as well.

A Book for Oreo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I love cats. I think I would enjoy reading about the author's stories with her cat. Thank you for reviewing this book.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Just reading your review made me a bit teary eyed, as it made me think of my own cats that have passed away over the years. Sounds like a beautiful and sweet tribute to a loved pet.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a sweet and touching story. As an owner of a dog, I can relate. It is a great way to remember loved one. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I LOVE animals, especially my dog, Diamond, and kitty, BooBoo! ?? Recently, my other dog, Kane, passed away. Even though I imagine him in Heaven chillin' on his favorite cloud in the warm sun, maybe after reading this and meeting Oreo, it will give me comfort knowing there are others up there who he is friends with. Thank you for your review...GREAT opening line!! Although I'm already crying, I know I am going to love A Book for Oreo!!
dpk6810
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by dpk6810 »

Nice book specially for those who have a pet. Not very lengthy also
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I like pets so I think I will like this book. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. Thank You for the honest and well written review.
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Wonderful review. This story of the love between a human and her cat is just the type of book that starts the tears flowing. I'll definitely be reading this book. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
sprakasarao
Currently Reading: Junior Inquisitor
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sprakasarao.html

Post by sprakasarao »

God's plans are different from man's and man should compromise. The review clearly points out how the author compromised her life's destiny for that of a cat to be a son till its death.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This definitely sounds like a very heart warming and emotional book. There was a great deep bond between a woman and her cat. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
marti
Currently Reading: The Alliance
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marti.html

Post by marti »

The sample of this book tugged at my heart. As Oreo reached out and picked his mom. Animals know which is obvious. I can totally relate to this book by being a mom to my fur babies. Oreo feeling at home immediately was a defining moment that he knew he had found his family! I will definitely be reading this book. l lost Hobo who looked similar to Oreo 6 months ago, so I send my sympathies.
MARSHA MARTIN
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MARSHA MARTIN »

While reading the a sample of OREO, I was hoping to find out what her apt. complex did about her having a cat and and the rest of the story. Very heartwarming. It had me wanting to keep reading. I had an experience similar to this with a stray dog that showed up at my sister in laws house & she begged me to take it as it had been showing up at her house off & on. She had 2 cats. I gave in when he walked up to me, laid on his back & expected me to rub his belly. I put him in the car, he sat on the seat, looked out the front window with a look that said "SUCKER" & he was right. HE CHOSE ME. We had many happy years together.
Majikalone
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 552">It</a>
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-majikalone.html

Post by Majikalone »

A Book for Oreo is such a touching rendition of the strength of a loving bond between a true cat lover and their cat. I am owned by several cats as well and have been a cat lover my entire life so I understand completely the sense of loss when a furbaby soulmate crosses the rainbow bridge. I appreciate the author for sharing her story of her Oreo, as well as donating the proceeds to charity today on his first birthday in heaven. Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough review, I'm glad you could not find anything bad to say about this sweet book! Kudos!???
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great job on writing the review! Although this isn't something I would typically read, this story does sound sweet and I like that the author adds religion to it. :)
AbbyC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyc.html
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto

Post by AbbyC »

This seems like such a great and heartwarming story! Not enough people are able to see such emotional relationships with pets and it looks like this book could be a great eye opener as well as a sweet story. Great review!
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”