Is immortality a good or a bad thing?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Re: Is immortality a good or a bad thing?

Post by Insomniac07 »

If everyone became immortal, I feel like we wouldn't grow or improve. There wouldn't be such a rapid progress because no one will be in a hurry to achieve greatness within their lifetime anymore. Earth will get over populated very quickly. Also, it would stop the process evolution, so we'd have no chance of surviving an apocalypse. So no, immortality isn't a good thing.
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

in my opinion, immortality could either be a good thing, or a bad thing. It depends on who has this power, and it depends on the conditions in which that person is living in. Personally, I would't take it up, but I know various people who would love to be immortal.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

It would depend on the person......but I think it would be a neat thing...in theory. It would probably get old after a while.......
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Dphaber
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphaber.html
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta

Post by Dphaber »

It's a difficult question to answer and has a few important aspects:

1. Quality of life. If you live forever but keep aging, I would say immortality is not worth it. If you retain good health and relative youth, however, it CAN be (but is still not necessarily) a good deal.
2. Companionship. Here there are three scenarios that immediately come to mind for me and are worth considering:
a. You are alone. This is not worth it, as any connections you make to others will be severed in what feels like a short time to you. Or, as an alternative, you stop making connections to avoid this- which is to me a life not worth living anyways.
b. You have a few companions to share eternity with. This is the only tenable scenario to me, as you can have lasting relationships with others despite the rest of the world withering away before you.
c. Everyone is immortal. Overpopulation becomes a major issue and the logistics of an exponentially growing population soon overwhelm available places to live. A nightmare scenario.
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I would say, like some others, that it really depends on who is immortal. Are they good or evil? Do they want to live forever or do they wish it would end? Overall, I just can't imagine it but then, I also can't imagine the day my own children no longer have me.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Someone quoted Rumple/Gold for Once Upon a Time. I agree with you. While you are given eternity to roam this planet, but if you're the only one who has immortality, then the initial excitement would soon fade and all you have left is solitude. No one should be alone. So to answer the question on this thread, then I personally think immortality is a bad thing.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Jauthor97
Favorite Author: J R R Tolkien
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jauthor97.html
Latest Review: "And The Little Hills Rejoice" by Barry Bennett Blander
fav_author_id: 2578

Post by Jauthor97 »

Both! It really depends on who you are, I guess. I would love it. But if I was capable of emotionally connecting more than I already can with people, it would be harder. It is an interesting question, I think. But imagine everything you could do for people if you were immortal! I think like everything immortality could be horribly used, but also it could be used in a way that benefits humanity.
Latest Review: "And The Little Hills Rejoice" by Barry Bennett Blander
angira
Currently Reading: How to party with a killer vampire
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by angira »

Yes immortality is a good dream but there is no joy in life when anyone is sure about death. And death is a last stage of peace.life have different stages we need to enjoy all stage and immortality is nothing without youth.

so, in result immortality is not bad but mortality is very good. :)
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Immortality could be a horrible thing. For one thing, many people would outlive a lot of loved ones. I wouldn't want to watch my child die.

This also depends on whether I'm the only one who is immortal or if everyone is. If I'm the only one, who can I tell? Wouldn't I have to move to another country every so often to avoid speculation from people who could butt into my business?

I can see where immortality would be ideal, but we don't live in an ideal planet.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

I don't necessarily think immortality is good or bad, I think that people shouldn't be able to choose who is made immortal (including themselves). If everyone was immortal then we'd overpopulate the Earth like crazy. If it was limited, then only the richest and most powerful would have it and they'd rule without opposition.

It's a scary balance. I think immortality could be an absolute blessing - it would allow a person to gather wisdom through millennia, and wisdom like that in even a few influential hands could change the world in a great way. I suppose it's like anything else, it has the potential to be taken advantage of and the terrible potential consequences of that more than make up for the good.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I think immortality is, generally, a bad thing, because the bad guys have eternity to make other people's lives miserable :)
mani g ram
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mani g ram »

it depends on what we are doing......!
PoetryWriter108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poetrywriter108.html

Post by PoetryWriter108 »

I think immortality is a desperate attempt to prolong life. In essence, prolonging life is good however with the state of affairs in the world, more people living longer would equal sustained problems. Thus, mortality provides an end to the problems of life.
Shruth24

Post by Shruth24 »

Nothing is really good or bad. Also the intention for one to beocme immortal will let us know if immortality is a good or a bad thing.
Teasosweet67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teasosweet67.html

Post by Teasosweet67 »

Id love to be immortal

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”