Official Review: Buried Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Official Review: Buried Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by AA1495 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Buried Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review - Buried Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Rachel and Chase, the owners of a treasure hunting company have taken up an assignment in Japan. What initially seemed like a relatively simple mission turns complicated as more facts come to light – facts including the history behind the treasure, the shark infested waters and other obstacles they must face before they reach the treasure, the sour relationships between the people they interact with and more surprisingly, history involving them. The mission becomes an adventure of a lifetime when the monk who hired them, Shinzo, tells them that a natural disaster will strike Japan if the three swords that they are looking for are not found in time.

While Rachel is in love with Chase, she does not have complete confidence or faith in Chase and their relationship. After all, Chase did leave Rachel after her father passed away – a time when she needed him the most. In Buried Threads, we see how their relationship progresses and how they face the obstacles that come their way – both professionally and personally. Further, a new fact about Rachel’s father comes to light, disappointing Rachel further. Without giving away any spoilers, I can say that I was very excited to see how Rachel deals with this.

Kenji has been envious of Shinzo (the monk) for a long time. Kenji believes that Shinzo stole his father’s affections from him. As part of his revenge, he becomes the master of Mariko – A Geisha (Japanese female entertainer) who Shinzo had always liked. How Mariko reacts to this and the relationship between Kenki and Mariko, as well as Shinzo and Mariko were interesting to read. The plot turns more gripping since Chase approaches Kenji for some goods which will be needed to undertake the assignment for Shinzo.

This book kept me at the edge of my seat till the very end. I could connect with Rachel and wanted to read ‘just a little bit more’ every single time, to make sure that she was fine. This book has a good plot with realistic characters. It also has elements of romance and philosophy, which I liked reading.

There are many characters in the book and a majority of the story is told from Rachel, Chase, Mariko and Kenji’s perspectives. The author developed the main characters well, and showed how each character had shades of gray. While most characters (and the relationships between them) were important to the plot, there were times when I struggled to remember them and had to re-read the previous chapters. While this interrupted my flow of reading and I would have liked the book better if it had fewer characters, I cannot think of a single character that could have been removed, without affecting the plot.

Further, I admire the way the author connected all the characters and the sub-plots together. This would have been a difficult book to write, but the author did it beautifully. In particular, I liked the smooth transition between the sub-plots and the different perspectives. The book is easy to follow and has a good pace. I did not come across any major grammatical or formatting errors. Overall, I think that the book is well written and edited.

The book is set in Japan and through the events described, the reader can learn a lot about the traditions, beliefs and lifestyle in Japan. I found it interesting to read about the clothing, festivities and in particular, the concept of ‘Geisha’ – traditional Japanese female entertainers. Since I like learning about different cultures, this was one of the things I loved about the book.

One concern that I had with the book is that there were a few minor contradictions. For example, Rachel tells Chase that she had been feeling sick for the past two days. A paragraph later, she tells him that “It’s probably just the food from this morning”. However, these contradictions were few and minor.

Overall, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It has a good plot with realistic and well developed characters. I think that the author has written the book beautifully and I wanted to finish reading it in one sitting. The book has some mature content. I would recommend it to any adult who is a fan of Suspense and Mystery books.

Buried Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like AA1495's review? Post a comment saying so!
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

Sounds like a page turner! Thank you for your review!
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

peprica21 wrote:Sounds like a page turner! Thank you for your review!
It is! I hope you give the book a chance! Thank You for your comment! ☺
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks for the interesting review. It does sound like a page turner, but for some reason it's just not piquing my interest. Good job though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

kandscreeley wrote:Thanks for the interesting review. It does sound like a page turner, but for some reason it's just not piquing my interest. Good job though.
I understand. Thank You so much! ☺
erica gardner
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by erica gardner »

AA1495 wrote:
peprica21 wrote:Sounds like a page turner! Thank you for your review!
It is! I hope you give the book a chance! Thank You for your comment! ☺
sounds very good love to read it soon plz send me a copy :D
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great and interesting read. I would also love to read about Japanese beliefs and traditions. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Kaylin McFarren on another great book.
sherbano
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sherbano »

Book name :Buried threads
Author: Kaylin McFarren
review :"In this world,all lust is grief"
In this exciting story of romance and adventure two professional treasure hunters are thrown into an unfamiliar world,filled with ancient religions and modern gangsters.
At last i just want to say that its a detailed book with a fantastic backdrop to this exciting, sexy,and dangerous book.....

-- 07 Mar 2017, 03:27 --

i just know a bit of its subject its the lovestory of a couple which has no value of trust
Juliet Esther
Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-esther.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Juliet Esther »

I was first drawn to this book by the cover and I'm not disappointed, I love the storyline of this book and I think it is interesting moreover I cannot compete with a 4 star rating. Thanks for the nice review
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

A mix of treasure hunting, Japan and well written sub-plots is great. This seems original and I don't mind the small contradictions, it always happens. Not only in fiction, but in real life as well, but I'm glad you mentioned it. Thank you for the review, I'll definitely save this book for later.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

Waoh! A great review. This reminds me of a one time testimony by a friend of my friend . This is what she had to say "My friends left me when i needed them most". Really heartbreaking. This book is a must read.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Treasure hunting in Japan sounds exciting! I actually read the third book in this series and I love the Rachel and Chase dynamic. Also, I really like to learn while reading and it's great that the author explores the traditions, beliefs and lifestyle in Japan. Too bad about the small contradictions, but it is great when the characters are fully developed and that you enjoyed the read. Thank you for the great review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Treasure hunting, an exotic setting, and an adventure that keeps one at the edge of his seat? Sounds exciting! I am glad you enjoyed the book despite the minor contradictions. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

I love Japan! The plot seems very intriguing with a monk prophecy, Yakuza and geishas. Thanks for the great review.
OmololaAK
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by OmololaAK »

Getting access to a buried treasure should produce a huge story of over 70% uncertainty about the circumstances. I think this book did just that. love to read it.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”