Official Review: Daddy 3.0 by Rob Armstrong

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Daddy 3.0 by Rob Armstrong

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Daddy 3.0" by Rob Armstrong.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Daddy 3.0: A Comedy of Errors is a humorous novel written by Rob Armstrong and published in 2016. The main character in the story is Nick Owen, a recently out of work father of twin three-year-old girls. Nick’s wife, Liz, is working a surgical fellowship, so Nick has taken on the day-to-day care of his two daughters alone while his wife works long shifts. Despite his perseverance, Nick’s wife seems to notice everything he does wrong and nothing he does right, along with the other stay-at-home moms in their New York apartment building.

Nick starts out as an immediately likeable character. Although he does vocally point out his flaws, he feels like a real person sharing real-life events. Completely opposite of my feelings about Nick, I found Liz to be constantly nagging and unable to express even the slightest bit of understanding for her husband. When the children of the couple start acting out at lunch, the ultimate trouble comes from one of the twins removing a turtle from the aquarium in the restaurant, which resulted in a request for them to leave an not return. Liz immediately determines that this is all Nick’s fault, blaming him for not being able to control their girls. I found her to be totally unreasonable, despite the author’s attempts to shine a light on Nick’s love and admiration for her.

The author demonstrated a smooth and comedic writing style, with numerous laugh-out-loud moments that, as a parent, I can relate to all too well. The dialogue between characters felt realistic, even including the heated dialogue between Nick and Liz while in marital disagreements. One of my favorite elements of this story was the nicknames Nick gave to the other stay-at-home moms in their apartment – in example, Supermom, Lion Tamer, Good Heart, and Nifty Fifty Wife. The nicknames seemed to give the characters an impersonal feel, although I can say the author did a great job of giving each of them a detailed attitude description.

I was a bit surprised with how often Nick took his children out for entertainment for a few reasons. The family was constantly strapped for cash with only a low singular income, and it seems that every time Nick and the twins would venture out of their home, the girls expressed terrible behavior that is only explained by a three-year-old’s attitude. I was also a bit surprised by the pace of the story. The story was told in Nick’s perspective, which included several instances of trying to revive the relationship he shared with his wife. He tried several times to talk to Liz about their growing distance, however, she constantly seemed to brush him away. Throughout the story, it seemed that nothing he said could make her happy, but the ending was a rushed, happy-ending, which didn’t seem to match with the flow of the rest of the story.

I give Daddy 3.0 a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The humor included in the story was enough to prove its worthiness to me, and I would happily recommend this novel to other readers looking for a light, comedic story. I did find a few grammatical errors throughout the story, and a few missing words, although they did not distract my reading. The rushed ending was the main cause for the imperfect rating, but I still think other readers of fiction would enjoy this story.

Daddy 3.0
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review, especially since I also read and reviewed the book recently. :) I agree with you that the ending felt rushed. I think it might be because other parts of the book were a bit slow paced. It was a jolt when the final sections were fast paced.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like an interesting story, but not my typical genre. I really haven't read many comedies. Thanks for the good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kourtney Bradley

bookowlie wrote:I enjoyed reading your review, especially since I also read and reviewed the book recently. :) I agree with you that the ending felt rushed. I think it might be because other parts of the book were a bit slow paced. It was a jolt when the final sections were fast paced.
Thank you! It was actually your review that had me so interested in the book! I agree with you about the cause of the rushed ending. I still really enjoyed it though!

-- February 11th, 2017, 9:06 pm --
kandscreeley wrote:It sounds like an interesting story, but not my typical genre. I really haven't read many comedies. Thanks for the good review.
Thank you! I hope you check it out!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

The cover looks really interesting and based on your insightful review, the book is too. ? This is going into my Want to Read Shelf.

Congratulations to the author on receiving such a great review.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Kourtney Bradley

Wasif Ahmed wrote:The cover looks really interesting and based on your insightful review, the book is too. ? This is going into my Want to Read Shelf.

Congratulations to the author on receiving such a great review.
Thank you!
–Vera Nazarian
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

The name says it allot about my future husband ∩╭∩╭∩╮╭∩╮╭∩ ^_^
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Kourtney Bradley

Insightsintobooks wrote:The name says it allot about my future husband ∩╭∩╭∩╮╭∩╮╭∩ ^_^
I would say several people hope for the same! ?
–Vera Nazarian
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

This sounds like the perfect thing to read when looking for a light, comedic book. As a parent, I'm sure I could relate to a lot of what he goes through in a day with his kids. Thanks for the great review!
Kourtney Bradley

ashley_claire wrote:This sounds like the perfect thing to read when looking for a light, comedic book. As a parent, I'm sure I could relate to a lot of what he goes through in a day with his kids. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you! It definitely gave me some much need laughs for stressful days!
–Vera Nazarian
Richard Arup Banarje
Currently Reading: My Dad, My Dog
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Richard Arup Banarje »

first thing which attract me about this book is it's cover page and it's name.. i read some pages of this book but didn't like that much. but after reading this review i think i should read it. hope i can read it thoroughly. thanks for the review and best wish for the author..
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you! I hope you do!
–Vera Nazarian
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

Sounds like an interesting story, although not the usual genre I read. Thanks for the review
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a nice, humorous book. Too bad about the rushed ending and the grammatical errors. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite its faults. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

This sounds like a really funny, lighter read. Great review!
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”