Official Review: Nothing Important Happened Today

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Nothing Important Happened Today

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nothing Important Happened Today" by Mark Davies.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Contrary to its title, Nothing Important Happened Today explores a hypothetical yet gravely serious event: nuclear warfare. The reader follows Jack, an advertising agent living in pre-apocalyptic London. When the news announces that nuclear warheads are en route to the city, panic ensues and the once-orderly streets become savage as people desperately attempt to flee. As droves of humanity turn on each other, Jack seems to be one of the few maintaining his sanity. Rather than make a mad dash out of the city, Jack chooses to carefully make his way home, using his wits and martial arts training to forge a path through the chaos.

Nothing Important Happened Today is a unique story that contrasts base human instinct against logic and rationality. As nuclear bombs plummet toward London, the general populace panics and reverts to animalistic survival tactics. While violence and theft are rampant, Jack remains calm and calculating. He thinks ahead, stays alert, and even tries to help people in need when he can. The irony of this situation is that Jack is medicated for a mental illness, yet throughout most of the book seems to be the only sane person left in the city. As someone with a background in psychology, I appreciated this non-stereotyped depiction of a mentally ill person.

However, Jack is not a saint. Although he stays calm, he wants to survive like everyone else. Throughout the book, Jack must use violence to defend himself or others, and often finds himself breaking the law to obtain needed items or to escape a bad situation. The line between right and wrong gets blurrier as the story progresses, and Jack questions his own morality on several occasions.

I enjoyed this story, but I must confess that the beginning was a little slow. However, the pace picked up after the announcement of nuclear war, and I found it difficult to put the book down thereafter because I had to know what was going to happen next. As Jack moved from one scrape to another, I was reminded of an episode of 24 (whose main character is coincidentally also named Jack!)

Despite the dark subject matter, the author infused this story with a good deal of humor. I found myself chuckling on more than one occasion at the numerous examples of Jack's dry wit. These lighter moments in the writing helped to diffuse some of the tension of reading about humanity's less endearing qualities.

My only true criticism of this book is that there were a few errors in the writing, many of which appeared to be simple typos. The author is clearly a talented writer, but those occasional mistakes did stand out a bit. However, they did not detract from my enjoyment of the story.

Nothing Important Happened Today
is an engaging story, and I give it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys post-apocalyptic or dystopian literature. Although this book technically takes place before doomsday, it's definitely in the same vein.

Nothing Important Happened Today
View: on Bookshelves

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I enjoy a good apocalyptic book. It sounds like once it gets going, it really keeps you on the edge of your seat. This is something I'll have to look into. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

kandscreeley wrote:I enjoy a good apocalyptic book. It sounds like once it gets going, it really keeps you on the edge of your seat. This is something I'll have to look into. Thanks for the review.
I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for reading my review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another great review, LivreAmour217! I love Dystopian reads, and I really like that this one has people revert to their animalistic survival tactics. It sounds like Jack is a well-developed character, which is always a plus. Too bad about the amount of errors because it does sound like a read that I might enjoy.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

hsimone wrote:Another great review, LivreAmour217! I love Dystopian reads, and I really like that this one has people revert to their animalistic survival tactics. It sounds like Jack is a well-developed character, which is always a plus. Too bad about the amount of errors because it does sound like a read that I might enjoy.
Thank you, Hsimone! I always appreciate your feedback!
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Ooh, martial arts fighters. This is definitely a book I would like to read. Jack sounds like a cool hero to meet. Good review writing.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Cee-Jay Aurinko wrote:Ooh, martial arts fighters. This is definitely a book I would like to read. Jack sounds like a cool hero to meet. Good review writing.
Thank you! Yes, Jack is a very cool character!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I like the book already. It sounds interesting and very engaging. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:I like the book already. It sounds interesting and very engaging. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
Thank you! It is a very good book, and the errors are pretty minor overall.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! Dystopian books are not usually my thing, but you made this one sound really interesting. I like that you said the main character stays calm while everyone else falls apart, even though he has a mental illness.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! Dystopian books are not usually my thing, but you made this one sound really interesting. I like that you said the main character stays calm while everyone else falls apart, even though he has a mental illness.
Thank you, Bookowlie! Dystopian books aren't really my thing, either, but this one was really good!
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I also have a background in psychology. I think I would really enjoyed the main character. Overall, this sounds like a book I would really enjoy. Great job on the review!
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

anneloretrujillo wrote:I also have a background in psychology. I think I would really enjoyed the main character. Overall, this sounds like a book I would really enjoy. Great job on the review!
Thank you!! :)
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I love the idea behind this book. Sounds pretty thrilling, overall! Thanks for the review.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:I love the idea behind this book. Sounds pretty thrilling, overall! Thanks for the review.
You're welcome! And thank you for reading it! :D

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”