Gone Girl - I am about to watch the movie...

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
Mrs_Darcy25
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrs-darcy25.html

Re: Gone Girl - I am about to watch the movie...

Post by Mrs_Darcy25 »

I think that this is one of the best movie adaptations that I have seen recently. While the movie did not follow the book step by step, I think it still managed to perfectly emulate the tones of the book. I also think Rosamund Pike and Ben Affleck did an excellent job of channeling their characters. I loved to hate them in the movie, just like I did as I read the book. They deserved each other in my opinion.
The_Venturas
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-venturas.html

Post by The_Venturas »

I watched the movie first and guess what? I don't like it :| i hate those kind of stories where the bad people win, so i think i'm not gonna read the book. Even if i read it, i don't think that i would be able to finish it :(
mommyreadsbooks
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mommyreadsbooks.html
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mommyreadsbooks »

The book vs the movie.

The book shocked me. It was yet another one of those that everyone around me was reading and loving it and then I pick it up and I just don't love it like everyone else. Don't get me wrong, it was a good book, but I just wish Nick would have really killed Amy, especially after we find out she's alive.

The movie has a lot of really good actors: Ben Afflack, Neil Patrick Harris. Big names. It was really good, but I also didn't love it, it was just meh to me.
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

mommyreadsbooks wrote:The book vs the movie.
It was really good, but I also didn't love it, it was just meh to me.
I completely agree. For me, both good but not great. Those big name actors were not the right fit for me. This happens so often where the actor just doesn't measure up to the character I've conjured up in my imagination.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

The movie was so long I almost left the movie theater. I guess they should have made it shorter without so much dragging of the events.
Christine_B
Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-b.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Christine_B »

I definitely liked the book more than the movie but that usually happens when books are adapted into film never as good as the book.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
MelissaNathan12
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissanathan12.html

Post by MelissaNathan12 »

I loved both the book and the movie with the exception of the casting of NPH as Desi. I suppose in my head I had something different in mind and NPH just stuck out to me as inorganic in the film, stuck out like a sore thumb. Normally I love him in his roles so I was a bit thrown by my dislike of this casting choice. If anyone watches American Horror Story I imagine Desi as more of a Dandy-ish character without all the murder as opposed to NPH portrayal of him as a pitiful, squeaky clean, puppy dog sort. This may be because of it being a movie though, I thought there was more depth to his character in the book. My views going into the movie were that it couldn't touch the book because you just can not add the extensive depth to characters the way you can in written word. I was happily surprised with the film and loved the way it was displayed visually, pristine like Amy's sterile clinical view of the world, yet the plot was murky which suited Nicke's view and perspective of things. The book was an exhilarating read and a roller coaster but has a comfortable and cozy feel to it at the same time. I stayed up late reading it and had to re-read the last page several times before I finally officially "finished" the book.
GemNR18
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 743">White Bones</a>
Currently Reading: Taken for Dead
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemnr18.html

Post by GemNR18 »

I was one of those who watched the film before reading the book. The film completely captivated me and I really loved the twists and turns so naturally I wanted to read the book. I feel the book was represented really well, something I wish all films did! Rosamund Pike and Ben Affleck were fantastic as Nick and Amy.

As soon as I finished reading Gone Girl I went straight onto reading all of Gillian Flynn's other books and they were all very good.
tihoffman2005
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tihoffman2005.html

Post by tihoffman2005 »

I loved the movie! I have yet to read the book though.
brendaleegarcia

Post by brendaleegarcia »

This book is really good honestly, I would recommend it to many people :D
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I think apart from the LOTR series, I've always felt that the book was much better than the cinematic adaptation. It was no different with this one. I think its difficult to translate a book within the given time frame of a movie, for example, I felt Nick's character wasn't dealt with properly in the movie; he seemed so pathetic in the movie but it is not always so in the movie. Plus, I was watching this movie with two of my friends who hadn't read the book, and they had divergent views, one believed Nick got his comeuppance while the other felt sorry for him :?

That said, this is still a good movie adaptation compared to some others I've seen in the recent times.
NikkyT
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyt.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by NikkyT »

I'm still unsure as to whether to watch this movie or not, I loved the book and I hate watching a movie that's ruined the story etc. Looks like there's very mixed reviews on it on here too.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Maria joraimah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 92854">The Zodiac Killer</a>
Currently Reading: Unbroken
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Maria joraimah »

I watched the movie but haven't had the chance to read the book yet. Based on your comments and that of my friends, this movie gave justice to the book. There may have been little changes but was not really a big deal. The movie came out great though.
" HAPPINESS is finding PEACE within yourself! " :D
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I have read the novel but haven't yet watched the movie. I am definitely gonna watch the movie as I find the story very interesting.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

I love it when they turn any book into a movie. Just out of curiosity, I love to see how the filmmakers envision it differently or similarly to me.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”