Official Review: Granny's Stories by Margaret Henderson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lraczova_87
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lraczova-87.html
Latest Review: "Granny's Stories" by Margaret Henderson

Official Review: Granny's Stories by Margaret Henderson

Post by lraczova_87 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Granny's Stories" by Margaret Henderson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Granny’s Stories is an autobiography of the highlights of the life and travels of Margaret Henderson, who, although she’s not famous, she’s encountered many extraordinary people in her life. The book doesn’t cover many details of her childhood in Scotland, except when she writes about the life of “Big Duncan” (her father) and memories from 1941. The book is mostly focused on the people she met and adventures she had while traveling abroad.

The book is organized first by time and place, with a series of chapters being about life in Berlin 1955-1957, or experiences in Zanzibar 1990-1992, for example. Then individual chapters are usually focused on different people who she encountered and some experiences they had together, and anything she’s been able to find about what’s become of their lives. I liked this creative approach to the autobiography because the author is sharing interesting experiences and people, rather than writing a self-glorifying book about just about her own accomplishments.

While the book focuses mostly on other people she’s encountered, it’s clear that Margaret Henderson herself has lived a very rich and interesting life that many young people today could envy or aspire to. As her life wasn’t simply touristic travels, hopping quickly from one place to the next, I was impressed that she always managed to find or build a community around herself, rather than falling into mopey isolation like some ex-patriots are prone to do.

I give the book four out of four stars because I genuinely enjoyed reading it and I think others would as well. Reading it felt like actually sitting with a granny and hearing her stories. There were good descriptions, but not so much description that you feel like you’re reading poetry about landscapes, as some travel writing tends to be. I also appreciated how the author would wrap up each chapter simply, without trying to fluff up every story with a moral or an inspirational quote.

If there’s one thing that I could ask for, it would be for the author to have included a brief note about what was going on politically/historically in each time and place she wrote about. That would’ve helped me because I don’t hold a clear timeline of world history in my brain, and a note from her would’ve cured my curiosity faster than looking to Google for answers. But I know that many readers know history better than I, and the lack of given information didn’t detract from her stories, so I can’t deduct a star for that reason.

Granny's Stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lraczova_87's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Granny's Stories" by Margaret Henderson
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great read. I grew up listening to my grandmother's stories which I only learned to appreciate when I got a little older. This seems like something I would enjoy. Good job on the review. Congratulations to Margaret Henderson on such an obviously well written book.
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Great Review! :) This book sounds very interesting and your review confirmed that this is definitely a book I want to read. Thank you!
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like the author experienced quite a lot. Her creative approach to the autobiography is quite refreshing. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

An autobiography! I'm looking forward to sampling this one!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Wonderful review! And congrats to the author on BOTD! It sounds like the author led quite an adventurous life and told her stories in an awesome way.
Hneite
Currently Reading: The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reading Device: B0B3PSRHHN

Post by Hneite »

Nice review, think I would like to listen to granny telling her tale.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Clear review, well done. I read the Amazon sample and your review together because I don't generally read autobiographies (as you mentioned, they tend to be self-glorifying) but taking a look at Granny's Stories in this way actually piqued my interest.
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

I enjoy listening to stories from my elders. I haven't read many autobiographies, but because this one isn't all about how great this person is, it's more about her experiences in life I look forward to sampling it. Thank you for the great review!
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great job on the review! The fact that the author wrote this book to inspire her granddaughters really makes my heart warm. It sounds like the author has lived a full and adventurous life. :)
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

This books sounds inspiring. Even though she wasn't famous herself, she led a very rich life. Great review! Congrats on BOTD!
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

We always hear about the wisdom of listening to older generations and this book seems like a fascinating way to get a glimpse at previous decades through the eyes of one well traveled individual. I'm curious to read which interesting people she came across in her travels!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Like you, I don't have a good historical timeline in my head either, but this sounds like a great story. I love hearing about people's unique and interesting lives.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I agree with you on your point about historical context. Sounds like a well written autobiography! Thank You for the great review!
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

This book sounds cool! Your review was also one of the most enjoyable and well written reviews that I've read so far on OBC. It makes me want to read the book even more. Also, I like the fact that she talks about others more than herself because most autobiographies focus on the author.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”