Review by KasieMiehlke -- Gates to Tangier

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Review by KasieMiehlke -- Gates to Tangier

Post by KasieMiehlke »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I give Gates To Tangier by Mois Benarroch 3 out of 4 stars. It is a really well written book that shows how siblings cope with their lives after tragedy. The book was not quite what I expected. I expected more of a family journey but instead it was journeys of self discovery. The length of the book was excellent and the way the author switches narrators worked extremely well. I would have liked to see more of interaction between the siblings. While Gates To Tangier did not fit my preference, I would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

In Gates To Tangier, siblings must make a journey at their late father’s request in order to receive their inheritance. The request comes with the new found knowledge of their father’s secret past. Throughout their travels back to their childhoods, each of the siblings reflect on their current lives and figure out what they need to do to become truly happy.

I did enjoy the book more than I thought I would. I loved the length. It was short enough to read in one sitting, yet it was long enough that nothing important was forgotten. I also enjoyed the idea that the siblings all had their own self- realizations at the end of the book. Each of them must face the harsh reality of how their lives got to the current situations. The author did a fantastic job of making each character relateable. The author did a great job at telling stories within a story. The plot twist was perfect. It came at just the right moment and was a shock to the reader. I personally believe that it made the book.

I would have liked to see a little more interaction between the siblings. I thought that this would be more of a familial reconnection book. This was really the only part that caused some dislike. I believe the way the author creates the overlaps between the characters makes up for the lack of interactions.

Overall I found Gates To Tangier to be a well written book. The author did a great job telling stories within a story while keeping the length short enough to tell everything. The stories flowed together perfectly between the characters. The journeys of self discoveries made up for the lack of interaction between the siblings. The book was not quite right for my taste, but I would recommend it for others.

Gates to Tangier
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like KasieMiehlke's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”