Official Review: Shadowline Drift by Alexes Razevich

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Katherine E Wall
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-e-wall.html
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper

Official Review: Shadowline Drift by Alexes Razevich

Post by Katherine E Wall »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadowline Drift" by Alexes Razevich.]
Book Cover for 2005
Share This Review

In Shadowline Drift, author Alexes Razevich creates a reality which encompasses and then transcends our perception of reality. Published by Razor Street Publishing, this, for lack of a better term, magical realism novel invites the reader into the rich, dense Amazon, which nurtures secrets and hidden tribes.

We join the protagonist, Jake Kendrick, as he begins negotiations with a newly-discovered, tribe, the Tabna, for the mineral benesha, which appears to be a solution to world hunger. But remember, in this world, things are seldom what they appear to be, including the main character.

Jake is a fantastic character with depth, motivation, and as required by all protagonists, a flaw. He is an accomplished negotiator, successful, and only three-and-a-half feet tall. However, his physical stature is not his flaw. Instead, his vulnerability lies in his own perception of himself based on his height. This is important, because perception – reality and illusion is a key theme throughout the story. In many ways, Shadowline Drift follows the classic Hero’s Journey. However, Ms. Razevich plays with some of the roles. Combining, for instance, the roles of the mentor and the antagonist within one character, and later introducing a second character who exhibits a similar duality.

It is interesting that the first, Mawgis, is an older male from the Tabna tribe, and the second, Naheyo, is a young female from the Lalunta village. Each is gifted with unusual powers, which at times help and other times hinder Jake’s progress as he follows a journey to save humanity from a trap he unwittingly sprung. This counterpoint between the two characters contributes to Jake’s confusion. Since, he can’t trust his own senses, time, or reality, how can he trust either of them? He finds his touchstone in the anthropologist, Pilar Ramirez. Yet, with her invitation to study the Naheyo culture at stake, can he even trust her?

These are some of the questions, Jake must struggle with as he fights for his own sanity on his quest to save mankind. The reader will find themselves drawn into this fast-paced story with its beautiful imagery, powerful language, realistic setting and authentic, diverse characters. It is obvious, that Ms. Razevich either knows the Amazon well, or did extensive research into the area and the process of interacting with previously uncontacted tribes. She touches on some of the issues threatening the rainforest, and her descriptions color the world without overwhelming the narrative or slowing the pace. This is a delicate balance, often missed by authors. This is writing at its best.

I would be remiss, if I did not mention the quality of the editing, as well. In most books, including traditionally published by the top publishing companies, several typographical and grammatical errors catch my eye. However, in Shadowline Drift, I only noticed two minor typographical errors during my first reading. Neither of these ejected me from the fictive dream. Even on my second read, and with closer inspection, I was unable to detect any more. Now, this is not to say there might not be more, but even during the second reading, I found myself absorbed into the world. A spectacular feat to achieve. Regardless, the editor who worked with the author deserves kudos as well.

I have only one complaint with this book, and it is relatively minor. While I understand that Jake’s perception of himself based on his stature is important to the theme and plot, sometimes, I felt that it was overstated. I think Ms. Razevich can trust her reader’s to make the connection. After all, Jake has lived with this condition for twenty-eight years and is successful in his chosen field. While insecurities do motivate and compel us, they do not tend to enter our conscious thought as often as they seem to with our protagonist. A more subtle approach would have achieved the same story goal, perhaps even more successfully. Still, as I said, this was relatively minor for me, as the story still engrossed me.

I recommend this book to anyone who loves a well-researched setting combined with magical world-building. In fact, I recommend, following this author’s journey, as I believe she will be producing even greater work in the future. I intend to buy her other book, Khe, published in 2012, and I look forward to reading subsequent books by Ms. Razevich.
I rate this book 4 out of 4.

Buy "Shadowline Drift" on Amazon
"We awaken the muse with the spirit of creativity. We entomb it with the ghoul of self-doubt."

That's right, I have a muse. It is spelled MusE. My writing is influenced by the interactions of people I meet - us and ME.
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

It seems like my kind of book. I love magical realism tales and this one sounds perfect. Jake sounds like a fantastic character based on your words. Good job on the review and congratulations to the author for the positive review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review! I love a read with great world building and a mix of genres! I am very impressed that you not only gave the book a second full read, but that the author was able to capture your attention even through the second read. Congratulations on receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Nice review! I'll check this one out, thanks.
Hneite
Currently Reading: The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reading Device: B0B3PSRHHN

Post by Hneite »

A good world building is for me a must, and combining this with a setting where you must question everything is promising. It made my to read list.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

wow, sounds like you are thoroughly impressed with this novel. Your have very good justification to give this the top rating of 4 stars. Character development and world-building is a difficult challenge. The author sounds quite talented to have done this so well. Sounds like a book that I would enjoy! thank you for your review.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Sounds like a fantastic book! I think you gave great advice about making Jake's insecurity more subtle. Focusing a character's thoughts too much on one issue is a pet peeve of mine.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
anushreevaishnav18
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Regifted
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by anushreevaishnav18 »

Sounds good. I want to read this . Gud job on the review
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review. Although I like books with a strong main character, the magical realism genre is not my cup of tea. Glad you loved the story!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

It's nice that the book is well edited. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. Thank You for the great review! ☺
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I love stories set in the mysterious jungles of the Amazon. They frequently tend to have a theme of "anything could be out there" and this book seems to take that theme one step farther into the fantasy realm... what an interesting concept!
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

There are two elements here that make me want to read it: good world building and a beautiful set of characters. I am most interested in Jake Kendric. He certainly reminds me of Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones. Great job on the review!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great job on the detailed review! Although this isn't my typical genre, the way you described the book has me thinking I should give it a chance. :)
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I did enjoy the preview. I think you did a wonderful job with writing the review.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
jungkookblog
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jungkookblog.html

Post by jungkookblog »

Great review! The characters seem very developed!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”