Official Review: When Wars Were Won by Hugh Aaron

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: When Wars Were Won by Hugh Aaron

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When Wars Were Won" by Hugh Aaron.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Wars Were Won: Love and Friendship in Time of War by Hugh Aaron brings the heart of war into your mind. Getting to know Hal, a young Seabee (Navy construction battalion member), as he experiences life in the Navy during World War II, is a very emotional experience for one’s heart. Although it is a fictional account, it’s clear that the author was diligent in showing the realities of war.

When Wars Were Won is written in journalistic format from the viewpoint of protagonist Hal Arnold. The story follows Hal from the time his naval battalion heads off to sea during WWII until the war ends, along with some closure forty years later. The story is focused on Hal, as well as his two good friends and fellow Seabees, Barry Fortune and Billiard Ball. Fortune and Ball are older and more experienced men, whom offer friendship to Hal, as well as mentoring him in very different ways.

The story starts forty years after the end of WWII with Hal returning to the Philippines but then quickly moves back to the time of war. Most of the story is focused during the actual war period, but then it returns to forty years later as it concludes. Doing so brings some closure as well as some intentional loose ends as to where some of the characters ended up after the war.

As the ship cross the sea, the men start to get to know those around them. Hal meets the amazing Barry Fortune early on. He wonders how this enlisted Seabee has managed to have so many officer level privileges and how he knows more about what’s going on than most of those above him. How does he know where they are headed when the ship’s command does not know yet? Fortune seems to be able to do any favor anyone needs. Billiard Ball is more laidback and encourages Hal to be wary of men like Fortune. Much of the crossing sets the background for the relationships moving forward.

The story takes Hal, Fortune and Ball to Finschafen and Hollandia, New Guinea, as well as Mindoro Island and Subic Bay, Philippines. Camps are built and rebuilt after skirmishes and battles. Hal grows up as he encounters death and the ugliness of war. He also learns about the need of friendship and what is important in life. He is sometimes surprised at how that changes during the war. Hal’s friendship with Fortune has its difficulties as Fortune’s ulterior motives beyond the war come into play. Fortune’s love life is often perplexing to Hal, as Fortune often asks for his help in dealing with his love back home, especially after meeting a special woman in the Philippines.

Love and relationships of that nature are an underlying theme at times, but the actual war is the forefront of the story for a good bit of the story. That is until Hal and Billiard meet Anita and her family, as well as the people of a small town in the Philippines. Seeing how they integrate themselves into this community, spending all of their free time there, living in a culture so different from their own plays a major part in their overall development as people. War is still there, but relationships become far more important. Watching the war end and its impact on all of them is interesting, as people do not always do what you expect of them. Seeing where they end up forty years later brings some surprises as well.

I rate this story 4 out of 4 stars. Watching these men evolve throughout the war is interesting and often brings unexpected revelations. This story would be a good read if you like war stories and watching people develop through life experiences. Note that there are some very graphic war scenes, as well as rape scenes, which some might find disturbing.

When Wars Were Won
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I love this time period! I don't usually read historical fiction. The WWII era is he only period I really enjoy. I think the use of a journalistic format is entertaining. Thank you for a great review!
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

anneloretrujillo wrote:I love this time period! I don't usually read historical fiction. The WWII era is he only period I really enjoy. I think the use of a journalistic format is entertaining. Thank you for a great review!
For me, the journalistic formatting really helped me to feel like I was there, with the characters, and not an outsider.
SpiderDreamer1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

Interesting review. Do you think focusing on the war itself made it stronger, or was there a more interesting story to be told in the present day?
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

SpiderDreamer1 wrote:Interesting review. Do you think focusing on the war itself made it stronger, or was there a more interesting story to be told in the present day?
The present day story was really used to draw out how the relationships evolved and the impact of the war on not just the immediate future but a more long term future. Both impacts on the involved societies and on personal relationships were demonstrated by including both the past and the future.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I like this time period for historical fiction. I think it sounds interesting being that it is written from a journalistic viewpoint. Thank you for the review.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Insightsintobooks wrote:I like this time period for historical fiction. I think it sounds interesting being that it is written from a journalistic viewpoint. Thank you for the review.
Do you have any favorites from this era? I'm finding myself more interested in it over the past year.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review! The impact of war on people over many years is an interesting topic.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

bookowlie wrote:Nice, insightful review! The impact of war on people over many years is an interesting topic.
I think that impact is often underestimated, despite the fact that we know a lot more today about things such as PTSD.
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I agree. I think many people who have PTSD don't seek help or they minimize the aftereffects when talking about it.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I find this time period so fascinating, and I love historical fiction. Thanks for the great review, I just might have to check it out!
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

godreaujea wrote:I find this time period so fascinating, and I love historical fiction. Thanks for the great review, I just might have to check it out!
It is an interesting story, both on the military and the relationship fronts. I still have a hard time calling the time period historical though, since both of my parents were born during WW2.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a pretty authentic story. It's not for me though. Good review, but I'll be avoiding it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kandscreeley wrote:This sounds like a pretty authentic story. It's not for me though. Good review, but I'll be avoiding it.
Authentic is a very good way to describe this story. It felt very realistic, even though it was a work of fiction.

Return to “Historical Fiction”