Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Other Fiction Forum

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Impressions by Dan Groat

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.

Official Review: Impressions by Dan Groat

Post Number:#1 by AA1495
» 09 Jan 2017, 23:37

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Impressions" by Dan Groat.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by AA1495
Share This Review

Review: Impressions by Dan Groat

Impressions by Dan Groat is a collection of 55 short stories, each with a unique idea or message. Most stories begin with seemingly routine everyday activities, which later take unusual turns. The themes of the stories are varied. These include philosophical conversations, carefully planned crimes, forming and rekindling of relationships and human emotions. Most stories describe different forms of human relationships or human nature. While some stories show the value of friendship, some describe the bond between humans and their pets. Relationships with parents and grandparents are recurring themes in the book.

While some stories are barely a page long, some last for over five pages. However, each story, irrespective of its length and genre, will either surprise you or inspire you. For most stories, just when I thought that the plot was getting familiar, that I knew how it would end, there was one sentence or one dialogue at the very end, that changed my perspective about the entire story.

While I liked almost every story, three stories were my favorite. The first one dealt with a man’s OCD. The man was trying to use his OCD to his advantage, by being obsessed with making himself a better person. This story is told from his neighbor’s perspective. However, it was the ending of this book that surprised me. Without giving away any spoilers, I can say that this was one ending I wouldn’t have ever guessed.

The second story dealt with the sensitive topic of discrimination. I liked how the message was conveyed in the form of a simple story. The protagonist of this story is a young student, whose dialogues, in particular, were very powerful. Finally, the third story I loved was about two neighbors, Carl and Peter, who couldn’t stop fighting. When they didn’t have major issues to fight about, they would fight about very minor ones. This story was unique, had an unexpected ending and an element of humor in it.

The beauty of this book lies in its simplicity. The author hardly describes the characters and yet you can connect with them – with almost each one of them. What I liked best about the stories, without a doubt, were the endings. They’ll surprise you even when you’re mentally prepared for a surprise.

The only issue I had with this book was its editing. I found a few grammatical errors. While these were minor, they did interrupt my flow of reading. Further, while this could be an issue with my kindle edition, the formatting was inconsistent. The font style and size kept changing from chapter to chapter, which was distracting.

I would rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. All the stories are unique and very well written. Some will inspire the reader, while some will leave them laughing. Almost everyone will enjoy these stories, irrespective of their genre preferences. There is some mature content in this book and hence, I will recommend this book to adults who are looking for meaningful short stories to read.

Impressions
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AA1495's review? Post a comment saying so!
AA1495

Favorite Book: Out of the Box Awakening
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 9%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Impressions by Dan Groat

Post Number:#2 by hsimone
» 10 Jan 2017, 06:35

Wonderful review! I like how this short story compilation touches upon many themes and topics that can be related to many. Also, I like how you mentioned that one line or dialogue had changed your perspective on the story completely; only a really author can do that! Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: Escape to Eden
Bookshelf Size: 402 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 56%

Post Number:#3 by gali
» 10 Jan 2017, 06:37

55 short stories, each with a unique idea or message?? Sounds good. Too bad that the few grammatical errors interrupted your flow of reading. Congratulations to the author for the great review!
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Lie Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1631 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 56%

Post Number:#4 by Elaine5
» 10 Jan 2017, 07:04

This sounds like a story collection I would really enjoy. Great review and congratulations to the author.
Elaine5

Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 46 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#5 by Gravy
» 10 Jan 2017, 07:22

I find I'm curious as to the way the author describes the relationship between humans and their pets? There are so many different ways that people treat their pets. Some like family, some like their children, some like more demanding stuffed animals :lol:
Because hope is a knife that can cut through the foundations of the world.

Every Heart a Doorway
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Memory of Water
Bookshelf Size: 877 books
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 60%

Post Number:#6 by uk8971
» 10 Jan 2017, 08:03

A collection of 55 stories and a perfect 4/4 rating makes IMPRESSIONS by Dan Groat a perfect read. Looking forward. Congrats on being the BOTD. :)
uk8971

Currently Reading: A Confession
Bookshelf Size: 34 books

Post Number:#7 by tarafarah7
» 10 Jan 2017, 08:04

I'm looking forward to making this purchase! It is nice to have short stories to read when you just aren't in the mood for a long novel. Great review! I really like the selection of books for BOTD lately!!!
tarafarah7
Member of the Month

Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: tuesdays with Morrie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 280 books
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 250%

Post Number:#8 by Insightsintobooks
» 10 Jan 2017, 08:16

I think this collection of short stories sounds wonderful. I think I'd probably enjoy the more philosophical stories but like that each of them have a different theme. Thank you for the review.
Insightsintobooks's Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Insightsintobooks

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 8%

Post Number:#9 by AA1495
» 10 Jan 2017, 09:04

hsimone wrote:Wonderful review! I like how this short story compilation touches upon many themes and topics that can be related to many. Also, I like how you mentioned that one line or dialogue had changed your perspective on the story completely; only a really author can do that! Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!

Thank You for the comment. I hope you give this book a chance! ☺

-- 10 Jan 2017, 09:05 --

gali wrote:55 short stories, each with a unique idea or message?? Sounds good. Too bad that the few grammatical errors interrupted your flow of reading. Congratulations to the author for the great review!

It was a good collection of stories. I hope you give it a chance. Thank You for your comment! ☺

-- 10 Jan 2017, 09:06 --

Elaine5 wrote:This sounds like a story collection I would really enjoy. Great review and congratulations to the author.

I think you'll enjoy it! Hope you read it when you can! Thank You for your comment! ☺

-- 10 Jan 2017, 09:08 --

Gravy wrote:I find I'm curious as to the way the author describes the relationship between humans and their pets? There are so many different ways that people treat their pets. Some like family, some like their children, some like more demanding stuffed animals :lol:

Haha, all the people treat their pets well! Those stories were nice! I hope you read the book if you can. Thank You for your comment! ☺

-- 10 Jan 2017, 09:08 --

uk8971 wrote:A collection of 55 stories and a perfect 4/4 rating makes IMPRESSIONS by Dan Groat a perfect read. Looking forward. Congrats on being the BOTD. :)

I hope you give the book a chance! Thank You for your comment! ☺

-- 10 Jan 2017, 09:10 --

tarafarah7 wrote:I'm looking forward to making this purchase! It is nice to have short stories to read when you just aren't in the mood for a long novel. Great review! I really like the selection of books for BOTD lately!!!

I agree. It's nice to have short stories to read. I hope you like this book. Do let me know how you like it when you finish reading it. Thank You for your comment! ☺

-- 10 Jan 2017, 09:11 --

Insightsintobooks wrote:I think this collection of short stories sounds wonderful. I think I'd probably enjoy the more philosophical stories but like that each of them have a different theme. Thank you for the review.

I liked those stories, I think you will too. I hope you give this book a chance! Thank You for your comment! ☺
AA1495

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by klbradley
» 10 Jan 2017, 11:14

Nice review! Glad to hear you enjoyed them!
She reads books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. -Annie Dillard
klbradley

Favorite Book: The Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab Nook Edition
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 32%

Post Number:#11 by AA1495
» 10 Jan 2017, 11:32

klbradley wrote:Nice review! Glad to hear you enjoyed them!

I did! Thank You so much for your comment! :D
AA1495

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by Bandersnatch
» 10 Jan 2017, 12:55

This sounds like a really nice book. I love when stories manage to surprise me, especially since these days they're hard to come by. Great review!
Bandersnatch's Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Bandersnatch

Favorite Book: The Hero of Ages
Currently Reading: Shearwater
Bookshelf Size: 194 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 45 Books
Goal Completion: 68%

Post Number:#13 by Vermont Reviews
» 10 Jan 2017, 12:56

Great review. I did purchase this book to add to my 2017 reading list.
Vermont Reviews
Vermont Reviews

Favorite Book: Scam Prevention
Currently Reading: Northdale
Bookshelf Size: 366 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 300 Books
Goal Completion: 19%

Post Number:#14 by Kdonegan91
» 10 Jan 2017, 13:06

Great review! I can't wait to read more. I absolutely love books like this. I find it amazing how the stories have very little character detail but yet the reader connects with the character.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Kdonegan91

Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: Never Cry Again
Currently Reading: Fused
Bookshelf Size: 70 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Nook HD+ 9

Post Number:#15 by Strangerthanfiction
» 10 Jan 2017, 13:12

Great review! I love the idea of so many short stories in one place especially when they turn out to have unexpected endings. Congrats to the author on such a wonderful review. I will definitely be purchasing this book. Thanks so much for sharing.
Strangerthanfiction

Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 72 books

View Reviewer Page

Next