Official Review: Practical Feng Shui for the Office

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Official Review: Practical Feng Shui for the Office

Post by James Craft »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Practical Feng Shui for the Office" by Kathryn Wilking.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I started reading this book, I could have easily counted myself as one of those people who only knew about Feng Shui from popular culture and movies, and that the real world version of it was a complete mystery to me. I was actually looking forward to expanding my horizon's and learning a little bit about it, and I was encouraged by the opening line: "The purpose of this book is to take the mystery out of feng shui and show you how practical it really is." Maybe I would find some nifty ways to clean up my workspace at work and make it more appealing.

This book is meant to teach not only what Feng Shui is, but also to show the reader some easy tricks to apply it without a lot of time or effort expended. There are a lot of bullet points and images to help drive home the points being presented in this text, as well as reader challenges and calls to action to get the reader to actually apply the messages while they are still fresh in their mind. This was something I liked, because it made the teachings presented here feel more real and concrete than in many other books where everything is about theory rather than applications.

There were some things about the book I didn't like. First, a general formatting quirk that annoyed me: the book is not justified-alignment, but rather left-aligned with double spaces and no indents. Since the text is short and choppy with a lot of single-line paragraphs this makes perfect sense, but at times and in certain sections it made it feel much more like a term paper than a book. The images were useful and descriptive, but they didn't really combat this impression because it felt like they were created with some sort of diagramming or layout application that a room designer might use.

None of this seriously detracted from the work, but it felt less professional and conflicted with everythign else that was being presented in this work. Some of it was useful, like tips and tricks to help cut down on feelings of anxiety or subconscious worries. For example, it discusses what to do in meetings, and how the ideal position is one where you can see the entire room and the door so that there can be no surprises. This is something I actually never really think about when going to meetings, but I look forward to applying it in my work place and seeing if it has any positive effects.

All in all, I really enjoyed reading this work and felt like the ideas being presented were simple and easy to apply, but actually very valuable and useful. It reminded me of reading something like Sun Tzu's Art of War where everything you read feels like such simple ideas that they might be common sense and yet are actually incredibly thoughtful and meaningful.

I will rate Practical Feng Shui for the Office by Kathryn Wilking with 3 out of 4 stars. Even though the text is very interesting and meaningful, the document itself detracts and conflicts with the message and makes it feel slightly unprofessional. Considering how valuable the text is, this feels like an important misstep that should be addressed by doctoring it up to look more like a professional book and less like a college paper.

Practical Feng Shui for the Office
View: on Bookshelves

Like James Craft's review? Post a comment saying so!

-- 09 Jan 2017, 15:27 --

Was a really great read and I'm finding more and more ways to apply it to my workplace every day!
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I'm interested in the art ogmf Feng Shui and think that this would be an interesting read for me. Thank you for the review.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

Insightsintobooks wrote:I'm interested in the art ogmf Feng Shui and think that this would be an interesting read for me. Thank you for the review.
No problem! I hope you enjoy it and I'm sure you'll find something great inside!
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

I will have to give some of this a check! Feng Shui helps me relax so much I have just never tried it at work!
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

Lincoln wrote:I will have to give some of this a check! Feng Shui helps me relax so much I have just never tried it at work!
I didn't really think it would be something in the office, either, but it turns out it's actually fun to do!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The principles of Feng Shui have always intrigued me. I can see how applying the concepts could be helpful for an office setting. It's too bad that the formatting wasn't the best since the layout of a how-to book is so important.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! The principles of Feng Shui have always intrigued me. I can see how applying the concepts could be helpful for an office setting. It's too bad that the formatting wasn't the best since the layout of a how-to book is so important.
I agree. The information was great but when that information is hard to get to or digest it can seriously detract from the value of a book.
lqueen75
Currently Reading: 30 Minute Body
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by lqueen75 »

This was a good review! I'm interesting in learning about Feng Shui. Thanks!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't really have a big enough office space to make this useful for me. It does sound good. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

lqueen75 wrote:This was a good review! I'm interesting in learning about Feng Shui. Thanks!
NP! I found the book to be very useful and interesting!
kandscreeley wrote:I don't really have a big enough office space to make this useful for me. It does sound good. Thanks for the review.
Actually a lot of the suggestions take almost no space, and it is all about how to use the space to the max potential. That being said, I'm sure some spaces are simply too small to benefit from, but it might be worth trying!
karaleigh2
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by karaleigh2 »

Great review! I've recently become interested in feng shui myself, so I might have to check this out, despite its shortcomings in formatting. Thanks!
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

karaleigh2 wrote:Great review! I've recently become interested in feng shui myself, so I might have to check this out, despite its shortcomings in formatting. Thanks!

Yeah this was an interesting twist on what I would consider normal Feng Shui in where it was focusing, but it was rather interesting information!
Pavel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pavel »

Interested review.
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

Pavel wrote:Interested review.
Thanks! I appreciate hearing that and I appreciate you stopping by to check out this review! Feng Shui is a really cool thing that is kind of new in the west!
wuguifeng
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by wuguifeng »

thanks for the review... about to jump myself toreading it

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”