You wake up as a vampire- do you panic or party?

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.
MichelleVL
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michellevl.html

Re: You wake up as a vampire- do you panic or party?

Post by MichelleVL »

If I woke up as a Vampire I would definitely freak out for the first 5 minutes. This would be followed by breathing exercises (hahaha) and then I would start immediately trying out my new gifts, strengths and weaknesses. I would most definitely consider being a vampire the best gift ever granted to me by the afterlife! Of course this is thanks to how vampires are portrayed in books and movies, that give that state of living such a fantastic allure.
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Party, probably, and then panic. It'd be cool to be immortal and have perfect skin and remain forever youthful and all that, but then it'd dawn on me that I'm gonna outlive all my loved ones and that I'll probably have to kill people in order to feed and survive.
I hate the idea that I'm not going to experience future eras and new discoveries and stuff though, so that'd be pretty rad.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
tang2198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tang2198.html

Post by tang2198 »

For me, I would probably spend an hour in mere horror but once that passes I would learn to use it to my advantage. I mean let's face it, being a vampire has its perks. :)
bluerose
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluerose.html

Post by bluerose »

If I woke up to discover I was a vampire I would definitely panic at first. After I got used to everything that comes with it I would totally party. It would be so awesome, I would be so cool.
royya7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-royya7.html

Post by royya7 »

I would definitely party unless i dont get hunted by silver bullets.
1337gollum
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1337gollum.html

Post by 1337gollum »

This question may be more of a paradox than it seems. Assuming I woke up and still had the same knowledge I did when I was human, my first instinct would be to panic after I figured out what had become of me. I believe it would take either obliviousness or too much wisdom to ""party"". The aesthetic may be good for a short time, but the negative would outweigh the good. If we are talking about the immortal type, etc, that is a nightmare. I feel that at first I would panic about surviving, which in the vampire world would mean not causing pain to self. I would probably procrastinate a lot, especially on coming up with some daily routine. I would have constant anxiety about gathering recources, staying out of the sun, or even hiding identity. I would have to live in fear of everything but nothing at the same time. I would have to be paranoid about how and where I travel.
Until quite some time is taken up--too much time, long after many genocides, some which I could have caused. At this point I am so bored of existing that death seems like a joyride. I would have probably contracted so many mental illnesses that at least one of them could have been one that changes my perspective so that time itself feels like it starts over, to make the decades more bearable. Or maybe it makes boredom into euphoria. If not, I would spend a great time trying to invent a way to kill myself. With growing technology, there would probably be a way to stimulate things I couldn't experience like death maybe, as well as things I would like to cut down on like consuming bodily fluids or energies. I could emulate happiness or being human again with some VR goggles and sensors, accustomed to my delicate vampire skin of course. But it would only last so long. So much time would keep going by that I would have become beyond the realms of self hatred and into the realms of pure numbness. I would have no empathy left. Probably by then would be when I would realize that the first thing I should have done when I woke up was enjoyed myself, I should have partied while I didn't know any better.
But what do I know. Being a bat might be pretty cool, however.
Moondove
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moondove.html

Post by Moondove »

I will panic as I don't want to be a vampire.
Marcy43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcy43.html

Post by Marcy43 »

I would definitely freak the heck out and then think of the best options for me in my new way of living.
VestaK89

Post by VestaK89 »

Oh Party, all the way.
cvega93
Currently Reading: Rescuing America's Democracy From Its Collapsing Morality
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvega93.html

Post by cvega93 »

I agree. I'd cry.
Okay, maybe not cry hysterically, but I'd be extremely upset.
First of all, how drunk do you have to be to not realize what's happened to you? Second of all, why in the world would I let myself get the drunk?
Now that I think about it, I'd probably be more pissed at myself for even allowing it to happen.
After I get over my anger, then the panic comes in.
The panic would consume me and I'd be screaming and running around like a maniac.
Then, maybe, possibly, I'd accept my fate and...try to figure out life as a vampire in the human world?
Leparda
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... penwolf</a>
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leparda.html

Post by Leparda »

I would have a panic attack at first, it definitely feels like you're a victim in this situation. But I think, that after some crying and overthinking about lots of situations, I would try to figure out how to live with that, there's nothing much you can do about becoming a whole new being.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

ramblinggnomes wrote:If you woke up to find a drunken night and a one night stand has converted you into one of the undead, what would you do?
Erik takes it on the chin but I'm not sure it would be for me! I'd rather curl up in a corner and cry.

What about you? Would you want to run and hide or would it be the best thing that had ever happened to you?
That's definitely quite the game changer! I love that some shows and movies and books are really starting to show the downsides to being a vampire lately, immortality isn't 100% awesomeness even without the bloodlust and other varying side effects. I would probably hide in my room for a long while coming to grips with what happened at the very least!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
ChillAndRead
Bookshelf Size: 362
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chillandread.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ChillAndRead »

That would be devastating...!

I like changes but this is too drastic for me to bear...!
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Tawfiqalqeisi
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tawfiqalqeisi.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Tawfiqalqeisi »

I would party no doubts. I have an extra long life now, meaning I can do whatever I want without fearing failure since I will always live to see another day.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Party! After all, you can't change what happened, but at least you can move forward!
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane

Return to “Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited”