Favorite Vegan Recipe/Meal?

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
cpitto
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Favorite Vegan Recipe/Meal?

Post by cpitto »

I love experimenting with new recipes! But am currently looking for some other Vegans who are willing to share some of their favorite or go-to's.
Cleis
Favorite Book: Garments Against Women
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indepaintence.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Cleis »

My girlfriend makes a DELICIOUS sweet potato chili! Chili is really fantastic because you can cook a whole pot at once and save the leftovers, or just be really, really stuffed. :lol: I believe she uses a recipe she found online on eatingwell's website followed by: /recipe/250222/sweet-potato-black-bean-chili/

It's also very easy to modify your own chili recipe, I like to add a variety of beans and some extra spice (hello, Sriarcha!). As long as you have the staples (some chili powder, canned tomatoes, and beans or another protein-tempeh is good) and you let it simmer long enough, chili is almost always foolproof.

Day to day, though, I tend to stick to rice and beans as a base, and I add veggies and seasoning depending on my mood (like nutritional yeast (yum!) and..... Sriracha! (YUM!)).

Best of luck on your recipe journey! :cooking:
Corinnethereader
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinnethereader.html

Post by Corinnethereader »

Omg I LOVE this thread! I jokingly call myself a vegan-in-training, so I'm looking forward to your post.

I really like the "chicken" nuggets made with vital gluten flour.

Has anyone tried this?
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

Hello other vegan! I have been vegan nearly four years now, and I absolutely love cooking. I was just watching a video for guacummus, a hybrid of guacamole and hummus, which I will be trying out this weekend.

first off, my favorite vegan cookbook is Thug Kitchen. It is amazing and I have loved every recipe I have tried, but, just so you know, it is quite vulgar, but that makes it exceptionally fun to read.

I don't know what kind of recipes you are looking for, but I will share a few super simple ones that tend to be my go-to's when I want something quick and delicious.

Avocado Pesto: 2 avocados, a bunch of fresh basil, 2-3 garlic cloves, juice of 1 lemon, olive oil (optional), salt and pepper to taste. Just throw it in a food processor or blender and let it spin! I like to throw it on pasta with some tomatoes, or use is as a spread on the sandwich I am about to talk about.

Smashed Bean Sandwich: 2 cans of cannellini beans, juice from 1 lemon, salt and pepper to taste, olive oil (optional). Like the recipe hints to, combine all the ingredients and smash! If you can find a vegan sourdough, this sandwich is great on that bread. I top it with the avocado pesto, red onions, cucumber, and greens.

Stuffed shells: 1 pkg tofu, 2-3 garlic cloves, juice of 1 lemon, bunch of fresh basil, salt and pepper to taste. Combine the ingredients in a food processor while you boil some large shells. Coat the bottom of a baking pan in your favorite marinara, fill the shells with the tofu mix (it is frustrating and time consuming, but totally worth it!) and top them with the rest of the marinara. I also like to sprinkle a bit of Daiya mozzarella on top.

I hope these help! if you are looking for a specific type of cuisine, hit me up! I would love to help and share some more recipes!
ColeeB
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ColeeB »

I've been a vegan for ten years and have really enjoyed the creativity that it has afforded me when it comes to cooking and baking. My favorite ingredients are chickpeas, black beans, quinoa, and tofu. Avocados are an amazing power food that can be added to almost any recipe. Stir frys and salads are my favorite "quick" dishes since I can combine a lot of fruits, veggies, proteins, nuts/seeds, and herbs/seasonings. Do you like smoothies or nutritional shakes? Vega makes great vegan protein powders. Sorry for the short reply, but I'd be more than happy to discuss veganism with anyone.
boardj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boardj.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by boardj »

I'm glad there are some vegans here! I have been vegan for a little over 3 years now and I love it. My favorite vegan dish is buffalo tofu and pretty much anything tossed in buffalo sauce haha. A good cheap and easy way to make buffalo sauce is to use a little bit of vegan butter, melt it in a pan/pot, then add some Frank's red hot sauce. Mix it together and there you have it!
spirituallove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirituallove.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by spirituallove »

Hello there! I was a vegan for ten years, and am now a vegetarian. Since I still eat mostly vegan, I have to tell you that one the easiest and most filling and nutritious meals is just rice and beans/lentils. I add lots of spices and herbs to keep things interesting.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Please checkout Indian foods. Especially South Indian foods. We have been eating vegan foods from ages. Even if dairy or meat is used it can be substituted to suit your preference.
Book Lover7
Currently Reading: Crown on Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover7.html
Latest Review: The Light of the Dying by Michelle Reynoso

Post by Book Lover7 »

I've been vegan from ages. For breakfast the best vegan I prefer is idly (steam rice cake) with chutney (sauce). For lunch rice, dal(lentils) and vegetable curry. For dinner I prefer roti ( tortillas) and vegetable gravies. So in India we can have a lot of vegan dishes.
RavingReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravingreads.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by RavingReads »

Love coconut curry recipes! I use canned coconut milk and serve it over rice!!
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

Chickpea poriyal. It definitely fills up the stomach while being relatively healthy. I am tired of healthy recipes that are sweet!
Rice with lentils/vegetables is a great option.
Le-nic Pretorius
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-le-nic-pretorius.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Le-nic Pretorius »

Hello! Also a fellow vegan of almost ten years. I just came for the recipes and there are some interesting ones for sure! Would love to make some of them. Thanks!
Sandra Smith 18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-smith-18.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Sea by Nina Purtee

Post by Sandra Smith 18 »

Cleis wrote: 03 Jan 2017, 22:50 My girlfriend makes a DELICIOUS sweet potato chili! Chili is really fantastic because you can cook a whole pot at once and save the leftovers, or just be really, really stuffed. :lol: I believe she uses a recipe she found online on eatingwell's website followed by: /recipe/250222/sweet-potato-black-bean-chili/

It's also very easy to modify your own chili recipe, I like to add a variety of beans and some extra spice (hello, Sriarcha!). As long as you have the staples (some chili powder, canned tomatoes, and beans or another protein-tempeh is good) and you let it simmer long enough, chili is almost always foolproof.

Day to day, though, I tend to stick to rice and beans as a base, and I add veggies and seasoning depending on my mood (like nutritional yeast (yum!) and..... Sriracha! (YUM!)).

Best of luck on your recipe journey! :cooking:
Sweet potato black bean chili is one of my favorite recipes to make especially in the winter! I based my recipe on some that I found online, then I modified it to my personal taste. I add veggies like carrots, onions and corn to my sweet potato black bean chili. It's colorful, delicious, healthy, and satisfying!
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 15%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

I love cabbages a lot especially with a lot of green beans and sweet corns, finally topping it with mayonnaise.
Silvia Sianto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Silvia Sianto »

I was a vegan for ten years, and am now a vegetarian. Since I still eat mostly vegan, I have to tell you that one the easiest and most filling and nutritious meals is just rice and beans/lentils. I add lots of spices and herbs to keep things interesting

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”