Official Review: Caught Inside by Jamie Deacon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Official Review: Caught Inside by Jamie Deacon

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Caught Inside" by Jamie Deacon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Caught Inside by Jamie Deacon is a captivating young adult novel. Luke just wants to go on a vacation with his girlfriend, Zara, at her parent’s vacation home. He never got to have those type of experiences growing up. His mom worked multiple jobs just to support them. He’s expecting to spend time relaxing and hitting the waves with his surfboard. Then Zara’s cousin Theo flips Luke’s world upside down. Luke finds himself experiencing feelings for Theo that he never would have expected. He soon finds himself facing the reality of who he really is. Accepting these feelings, he grows closer and closer to Theo as the summer goes on. Afraid to hurt Zara, they hide the blooming relationship from her. But at some point, they’re going to have to tell her, and they’re afraid it won’t be pretty. Add in a few other friends that aren’t helping the situation, and the reader is in for a great tale.

This book had me drawn in as soon as I opened it. I literally could not put it down. I haven’t been this involved in book for a long time. Told in the first person, present tense from Luke’s point of view, this book takes the reader on an emotional roller coaster. The emotions throughout the book were so powerful. I found myself laughing and crying as the moods changed. I felt like I was watching the story as it happened.

The character development was on point. The character pool is fairly small, so the reader really gets to know the personalities of each person. The love triangle in this story adds to the character development and kind of makes it a little biased. I constantly found myself looking at Zara as the “bad guy” even though she didn’t really have a lot of “bad” qualities. She was a typical teenage girl who wanted to spend time with her boyfriend. As she feels their relationship falling apart, she keeps trying to fix it. Because I was seeing everything from Luke’s point-of view, it made me think of her as annoying and clingy even though she really wasn’t. I have never had this happen to me while reading a book, and I found it very entertaining.

The plot of this book runs along the lines of being a typical young adult novel, but it has a few twists. The fact that Luke is falling in love with another boy made the love triangle unique. I have to say that I have never read a book like this one. It was also paced really well. I never found myself disappointed or wishing that a part was over like I have with other books. I also felt like the fact that it was written in present tense helped move the plot along. Another aspect of the story that I really liked was the addition of a few flashbacks. Some were in conversation, and some were events that Luke remembered throughout the story. Both types really added dimension to the book.

The editing in this book was perfect! I commend the author for this. I didn’t see a single error throughout the book. I loved that there were no interruptions because of grammatical errors! Also, the author did a great job of keeping the book in the present tense. I know how difficult it is to write in this style, so I am really impressed with this author.

If you can’t already tell, I loved this book. I’m going to have to give it 4 out of 4 stars. I can’t even think of anything negative to say about it. I think that this is a great book for teenagers and even adults to read. It has all of the romance they could want without being explicit, and it takes the reader on a fantastic emotional ride. It is definitely one of my new favorites.

Caught Inside
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

Thank you for your review! It is rare to find a book without grammatical errors here on the review site. This book and the author deserve praise for that.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP

peprica21 wrote:Thank you for your review! It is rare to find a book without grammatical errors here on the review site. This book and the author deserve praise for that.
I agree! I'm a "grammar freak," so errors really distract me when I'm reading. I love when books don't have those errors.
melizabeth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by melizabeth »

This sounds like a great book! I agree that it is nice to find a book without grammar errors. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Great job on the review.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP

melizabeth wrote:This sounds like a great book! I agree that it is nice to find a book without grammar errors. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Great job on the review.
Thank you! It's been one of my favorites so far.
courtlt
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtlt.html

Post by courtlt »

Wow! It is so rare to find such a praising and genuine review. This book sounds ready to make it big, and I can't wait to read it!
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP

courtlt wrote:Wow! It is so rare to find such a praising and genuine review. This book sounds ready to make it big, and I can't wait to read it!
Thank you! It was definitely a great book. I hope you enjoy it.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds intense :D and interesting. I'm not really sure if this is my type of book but your review makes it seems like something I would enjoy. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Jamie Deacon on such an obviously well written book.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds intense :D and interesting. I'm not really sure if this is my type of book but your review makes it seems like something I would enjoy. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Jamie Deacon on such an obviously well written book.
Thank you! It was definitely an intense book. I'm glad my review makes you at least kind of interested in the book. I really enjoyed it.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for such a detailed review! I love the idea that Luke is falling for a boy and must decide who he wants to be with. Also, the fact that there aren't that many characters (so we can really get to them) is very appealing to me. I'd rather really get to know characters than have a bunch that are not memorable. Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a great romance with some cool characters. Well done to the author for the perfect editing. Thank you for the nice review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I wouldn't normally be interested in something like this (contemporary isn't really my thing), but given the fact that Luke is falling for a guy pushes it closer to my reading tastes.

Thank you for the review, and I'm happy you enjoyed it so thoroughly!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Hneite
Currently Reading: The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reading Device: B0B3PSRHHN

Post by Hneite »

Thanks for a great review, it piqued my interest even though i usually do not read romance.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Great review! I like that this is a young adult novel because it might indirectly give advice to young people in today's world who find themselves in a similar situation. Congrats to the author on being chosen for BOTD!
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

hsimone wrote:Thank you for such a detailed review! I love the idea that Luke is falling for a boy and must decide who he wants to be with. Also, the fact that there aren't that many characters (so we can really get to them) is very appealing to me. I'd rather really get to know characters than have a bunch that are not memorable. Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
I agree. Great review on today's book of the day.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”