Does anyone write out of revenge?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Re: Does anyone write out of revenge?

Post by moderntimes »

Hm. What happens when you simply sit down to write a "regular" story without any baggage?
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I kind of slip into a zone I guess you could call it and just let the words flow until it stops. When I have to start really thinking about what I want to write, I take a break go read a book, watch tv, or listen to music. That is what I have been doing with my NanoWriMo novel and it has gone every well. It was kind of an experiment for me this time. I'm up to almost 4k words in two days and am actually taking a break now from my writing.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Good luck. About a month ago on my 4th novel I had about 4000 words. Now I'm up to about 15,000.

Of course it's very tenuous as yet and there will be lots of revision.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Thank you. I am making my best attempt at the 50k word count goal and even with missing the first day I am confident I will come at least close to the 50k.

Good Luck with your 4th novel!
raccoonballoon

Post by raccoonballoon »

Well, many people write out of revenge. I am one of that group of writers. Often, when somebody gets mad at me, they end up in my current writing piece. They may suffer a horrible death or a lot of pain... Oh well. I guess they deserve it. Every time you write, essentially you are showing a piece of yourself to the reader. Very few books are purely all imagination, and have no experiences that the author experienced. Writing out of revenge is quite common, and a good way to make a scene more real.
1ChiGeek
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1chigeek.html

Post by 1ChiGeek »

I'm agree with moderntimes. I think the majority of authors kill off people who wronged them and never tell anyone about it.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Well, it's unwise to declare exactly who you've "murdered" -- you don't want to be defending a libel suit. Best to disguise that real person, change the physical characteristics and then stab 'em in the back! heh heh

Want a good example? Here's a "newspaper story" from my 2nd novel (my protagonist is private detective Mitch King) --

-----

911 Call Reveals Possible Homicide

EMT technicians arrived at the 11000 block of Mission Vista in Memorial late Wednesday evening, responding to a 911 call, but Houston police were soon dispatched as backup. The nude body of the homeowner, Theresa Bartlett, 24, was found in the outdoor whirlpool spa. She had apparently drowned after being thrown into the water unconscious. Indications were that she had been sexually assaulted and strangled.

Police arrested Bradley Chilton, 27, at the scene. Chilton identified himself as a fitness counselor and Bartlett’s boyfriend and said that he lived with her. Chilton at first denied harming Bartlett but later admitted “grabbing” her and pushing her into the whirlpool after a bout of rough sex and an argument. Harris County prosecutors said that Chilton would be charged with homicide. A quantity of cocaine and marijuana was also seized at the residence.

This is not the first time that violence has visited this address. Last June, police found the body of homeowner Lawrence Trevillian at the same poolside, reportedly shot by an intruder. Theresa Bartlett, Trevillian’s girlfriend at the time, was present at the shooting and briefly considered a suspect, then cleared.

In tabloid-style circumstances, Trevillian’s alleged killer, Victor Allison, was later shot and killed by Houston private investigator Mitchell King. King had been hired to protect Bartlett during the investigation of the Trevillian murder and the two were rumored to be having an affair. Although initially detained for questioning about the Allison shooting, King was released and no charges were filed. When contacted regarding the death of Bartlett, King declined comment.

-- 30 --
Pectabyte

Post by Pectabyte »

I think there is a touch of "hey ill show them." in my writing but other than that I tend to write things in hopes of giving tragic things that have happened to me a new perspective. That and in some cases I try to live vicariously through my characters and have them NOT make the mistakes that I have... Wishful thinking I guess.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Pec, that's an excellent thought. I do occasionally incorporate the threads of some mistake I made years ago and use that for the impetus to a story or a theme. My first novel had some of this.

But of course, I'm not writing a confessional or exegesis. I'm writing mystery novels. So personal experiences, good and bad, are just occasional mood setters for a scene, perhaps.
Wanton_Wordsmith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18985">The Fellowship of the Ring</a>
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanton-wordsmith.html

Post by Wanton_Wordsmith »

Hi! This is Wanton again. Thank you everyone who responded to this post. I didn't think I had such good company! Thank you all for re-assuring me that I'm not a literary weirdo who can't get over old issues. I don't only write out of revenge, of course. Mostly I just write fiction for therapy. It helps me make sense of a crazy world. Thank you all for answering this post!
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I think most people who love writing write based on personal experiences and especially if they had painful events in their life. I wrote some unpublished work and in all of them I used characters from my real life.
Mys
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys.html

Post by Mys »

I have never thought of writing something in retaliation over something that happened to me in real life.
The closest thing I have done is rethinking situations and wishing that they happened differently.

This does give me ideas though.
Diving doc
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diving-doc.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Diving doc »

I'm quite relieved I'm not the only one.

Most of my writing is based on what I've thought about doing, but haven't through fear of being caught, and the knowledge that my personal guilt-meter means I would never get over it, even if the "victim" would.

I plan on publishing under a pen name in case anyone from my real life recognises themselves.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

I suppose I have... but I have never attempted to publish any of these little mental-health exercises. I just use them as a means of delivering a fictional poetic justice that sad, mundane reality has so far failed at.
I have also created characters based on certain people from my past and written them into situations that would have the real individual going mad with panic.. an inveterate social climber facing a disastrous, humiliating public social gaffe, for example. How can one not? It is fun, the 'victim' never finds out (and even if you do publish, and they read it, they often won't see themselves in an unlikable character anyway!), and it gives the writer a little peace.
When I was a kid, I'd draw caricatures of the people who tormented me. This is not very different. Just a slightly more grown-up and humorous way to deal with the uncomfortable memories of nasty people.
Corinnethereader
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinnethereader.html

Post by Corinnethereader »

Omg this is FUNNY!

The first book that I ever completed was about an ex who ended up getting brutally murdered.

So... yes :)

Return to “Writing Discussion”