Official Review: The Seventh Seal by A. J Dobbs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: The Seventh Seal by A. J Dobbs

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Seventh Seal" by A. J Dobbs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Balance. A world needs balance for it to maintain structure. But, what happens when there are two worlds? The balance, then, is even more precious and more vulnerable.

In The Seventh Seal, by A.J. Dobbs, there is a land called Thera. Within this land, there the Seven Keepers, who ultimately work together to ensure that Earth and its alternate planet, Arthe, are balanced. When word gets out that the conniving, Odling Smee, wants to offset the balance, the Seventh Seal Keeper, Michael Stone, seeks this man out to be rid of him once and for all. However, Smee is always one step ahead of everyone, and Michael is unable to follow through. Though Smee is captured, Michael does not desire the same fate for his son, Daniel. Therefore, he throws his prized and signature Seal, the mark of a Keeper, into the bottom of a lake before his untimely death.

Years later, an unfortunate event takes place and Smee is on the run again. Untold secrets begin to unfold for fifteen-year-old Daniel. The confused teenager is thrown into a world that he never knew existed and the reason for his father’s death. Now, as the power of the Seven Keepers are restored, their mission is to stop Smee from stealing not only their Seals, but a very powerful and dangerous mechanism called the Arcanum. The powers of the Seals and the Arcanum is too great to mess with. There is no telling what damage this untrustworthy man can do.

In this young adult read, I was captivated within the first few pages. The author cleverly creates a new world, which ties this fantasy read with science fiction. It is told through a narration; one main character tells the story through his eyes, but is also able to relay what happens to other characters. Themes of loyalty, responsibility, working together, and friendship is woven into this tale.

The protagonists are likable, and even the antagonist, Smee, I did not dislike. Dobbs gives the reader some background of Smee to describe why he is the way he is, so that perhaps helps with my acceptance of him as the villain. As a side note, I love the tie-in of a telepathic dog named Geddy. He is adorable!

There are some aspects that I would like to see be developed a bit more. For one, the planet Arthe is hard to picture and its correlation with Earth. Also, most of the Keepers are one-dimensional. It is difficult to distinguish one from the other, especially, since most of them do not have big speaking roles. I also feel that some scenes were rushed. For instance, when Daniel accepts his role as a Keeper, there isn't much discussion of his training before he is thrown into a fight. It is presented as the Keepers need to rush to train him, but that the fighting would come naturally, which is a bit contradictory.

The Seventh Seal is a first in a series, so perhaps some of the questions and concerns will be further explored in its sequel. Even with a bit more room to grow, I found this read very enjoyable. Therefore, I give this book a 3 out of 4 stars rating. I would recommend this read to both young adults and adults who like a fun mix between fantasy and science fiction.

The Seventh Seal
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on Smashwords

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

This sounds like a fascinating read! Having questions at the end of the book would drive me nuts though! I guess it's a series worth waiting for more than one book to be released before actually reading it. :lol:
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like one enjoyable book. I like stories that deal with 'loyalty, responsibility, working together, and friendship' they make the book something the readers would learn a lot from. Great job on the review.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:This sounds like a fascinating read! Having questions at the end of the book would drive me nuts though! I guess it's a series worth waiting for more than one book to be released before actually reading it. :lol:
It was a very fun read and interesting read! You're right, though, it might have good to release both books at the same time to answer some of those unanswered questions. :)

-- 14 Nov 2016, 17:53 --
kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like one enjoyable book. I like stories that deal with 'loyalty, responsibility, working together, and friendship' they make the book something the readers would learn a lot from. Great job on the review.
Thank you, kimmyschemy06! I liked that this book touched upon those concepts, too.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

hsimone wrote:
TrishaAnn92 wrote:This sounds like a fascinating read! Having questions at the end of the book would drive me nuts though! I guess it's a series worth waiting for more than one book to be released before actually reading it. :lol:
It was a very fun read and interesting read! You're right, though, it might have good to release both books at the same time to answer some of those unanswered questions. :)

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like one enjoyable book. I like stories that deal with 'loyalty, responsibility, working together, and friendship' they make the book something the readers would learn a lot from. Great job on the review.
Thank you, kimmyschemy06! I liked that this book touched upon those concepts, too.
I'm adding it to my TBR but I'm going to wait for the second book to avoid going crazy. :lol:
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:
hsimone wrote:

I'm adding it to my TBR but I'm going to wait for the second book to avoid going crazy. :lol:
Nice! Lol, that might be the best! :lol:
Heidi

TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

It reminds me of how I felt after reading the first and thencsecond installment of Bone Season by Samantha Shannon...I'm anxiously awaiting the third one...:lol:
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I haven't actually read that one, but I know what you mean. Sometimes, if it's been too long in between, then I almost want to reread the previous ones as a refresher, as well.
Heidi

TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

hsimone wrote:I haven't actually read that one, but I know what you mean. Sometimes, if it's been too long in between, then I almost want to reread the previous ones as a refresher, as well.

I love the Bone Season, lol I did that with the second book, went back and read the first.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

If the Bone Season is worth a reread, maybe I'll have to check it out!
Heidi

Misa2718
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Misa2718 »

Good job on this review! This book sounds really interesting! I like elements of fantasy and the idea that there is a second world. It kind of reminds me of the movie "children who chase lost voices." Just the idea that there is another world that exists in order to keep balance in our world is so intriguing. This book is definitely on my list of books to read. The review was well written and was pretty riveting. If the review was that good I can only imagine the actual text.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

Thanks for the well written, honest review! This sounds like a fun read, although I would be a little bothered by an ending with so many questions.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Misa2718 wrote:Good job on this review! This book sounds really interesting! I like elements of fantasy and the idea that there is a second world. It kind of reminds me of the movie "children who chase lost voices." Just the idea that there is another world that exists in order to keep balance in our world is so intriguing. This book is definitely on my list of books to read. The review was well written and was pretty riveting. If the review was that good I can only imagine the actual text.
Thank you, Misa2718! I appreciate your kind words. :) If you do get the chance to read the book, I hope you enjoy it!

-- 25 Nov 2016, 23:08 --
MarisaRose wrote:Thanks for the well written, honest review! This sounds like a fun read, although I would be a little bothered by an ending with so many questions.
Thank you, MarisaRose! It was a fun read, and there's definitely a need for some answers now. :)
Heidi

geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

sounds like a cool sci-fi movie, sth nice to sit down and read.
Thanks for the pleasant review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

At first, I wasn't sure this interested me, but your review was very convincing, and now I think I do want to read it. Albeit with a grain of salt, thanks to some things you point out, but still...Thanks for the introduction.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”