Official Review: The Life Engine by Rick Baker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: The Life Engine by Rick Baker

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Life Engine" by Rick Baker.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Being an ethnobotanist is not always easy. Some may not agree with your views and being in the public eye makes it that much worse. In Rick Baker’s C/T/M/H debut novel, The Life Engine, the reader learns the struggles that one woman endures in order to stand up for what she believes in.

Ambitious and strong-willed April Gentry takes her late father’s legacy seriously. She believes without taking care of the Earth, it will slowly deteriorate and may no longer exist. Her mission is to save the Amazonian rainforests, which produces the most oxygen, in order to preserve the planet. However, being in the spotlight and not afraid to take risks, she has made some enemies. With the potential of unfavorable information being leaked, this brave young woman is now at point where she needs to lean onto Ian Wolfe, former Olympic decathlete and current CIA agent. He may be her only hope in survival.

When I first picked up this book, the environmental aspect is what sparked my interest. This is a topic I normally don’t read about, and with this being an exciting book, I was happy to jump right in. April and Ian are likable protagonists, and their relationship adds a little lightness to this action-packed read.

However, as much as I would like to say that I really enjoyed The Life Engine, I simply cannot. The book is written in third-person omniscient point of view, which if done correctly can give the reader such an understanding of several characters’ thoughts and feelings. Unfortunately, with this read, there were countless times when I had to reread sections because it was not clear which character was speaking. Especially, since many character’s had similar tone of voice. This became tedious fairly quickly.

The characters and plot also was something I took issue with. There were so many characters that were thrown in throughout the story, that aside from the main ones, I became confused on whom was whom. Along with several characters, their development was lacking and many were one-dimensional. While the plot only dragged a couple of times, the ending was just a whirlwind of craziness that I couldn’t keep track of where one person was supposed to be versus someone else. On top of this, the events that occurred just seemed too unrealistic. Unless the protagonist was meant to be a fictional superhero, I cannot see how he survived so many near-death experiences in such a short amount of time.

Overall, this was not a read for me. Perhaps those who prefer action-packed novels without much character development might enjoy this. However, if you are looking for more, then you might want to pass on this one. Though it does have great potential, I give The Life Engine a 2 out of 4 stars for the reasons listed above.

The Life Engine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review as always! The subject matter certainly seems unique for a mystery. It sounds like the book didn't live up to its potential.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The premise sounds intriguing. Too bad it failed to deliver. I am sorry you didn't enjoy it as you thought you would.
Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

bookowlie wrote:Great review as always! The subject matter certainly seems unique for a mystery. It sounds like the book didn't live up to its potential.
Thank you, bookowlie! I did like the unique idea this book held, but for me, it does need some tweaking.

-- 02 Nov 2016, 09:14 --
gali wrote:The premise sounds intriguing. Too bad it failed to deliver. I am sorry you didn't enjoy it as you thought you would.
Thank you for the great review!
Thank you, gali! It was definitely an interesting premise. And thank you, maybe the next one I'll enjoy more!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

It's too bad about all of the flaws, I was really excited about the book when I read your description. Thank you for such an honest review.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, Kia! I'm not a fan of writing about aspects of books that I don't like sometimes. This is mainly because I know how much work an author puts into his/her book. However, I can't lie either. Anyway, thank you for reading and commenting!
Heidi

kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

The premise sounds promising. Too bad the book is not as enjoyable as it should be. Great job on the review.
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Great review! I agree that too many characters introduced at one time can be confusing especially when the author doesn't specify which character is speaking.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:The premise sounds promising. Too bad the book is not as enjoyable as it should be. Great job on the review.
Thank you, kimmyschemy06. It was promising, but for me, it didn't hold up too strongly, which is too bad. Thank you for reading and commenting!

-- 08 Nov 2016, 13:21 --
Kdonegan91 wrote:Great review! I agree that too many characters introduced at one time can be confusing especially when the author doesn't specify which character is speaking.
Thank you, Kdonegan91! Exactly! It is very distracting and can really take away from the story. Thank you for reading and commenting. :)
Heidi

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I really dislike it when authors try to throw in so many different people. It's very hard to keep track of and most of the time, I end up giving up. Thanks for the review. I know I'll be avoiding this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I wholeheartedly agree, kandscreeley! I need to be able to keep track of who I'm reading about and why they are significant to the story. It gets too confusing and therefore loses its enjoyment. Oh well, it might be best if you avoided this one as we seem to have similar taste in books. :)
Heidi

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”