Official Review: The Bulls of War by E.M. Thomas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Official Review: The Bulls of War by E.M. Thomas

Post by CrescentMoon »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bulls of War" by E.M. Thomas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Bulls of War by E.M. Thomas is the first book in his Chronicles of the Andervold Thrones series. Set in a foreign place in a distant time, the story chronicles the vicious war and bloodshed between two powerful empires, the Rokhs and the Valogerians. For years, these two kingdoms have been fighting to take over one another, until a new emperor arrives and orders a truce. This truce, albeit a fragile one, has kept the fighting at bay for the time being.

Along with the war, the story documents the upbringing and lives of two best friends, Kyrus and Tyghus, who are of Rokhish descent. Both of them share a tragic past. They have both witnessed the murders of their families in war, have fought side by side in battle, and have the hearts and minds of soldiers. These unique experiences have caused them to share a very strong, loyal friendship and bond. However, due to politics, mind games, deceit, lies, and manipulation, that friendship will ultimately be put to the test.

This is a fantastic book. In the story, the author explores such powerful themes as love, war, justice, revenge, honor, trust, family, and loyalty and he does so with the utmost skill. One of the marks of great writing is to show and not tell, and the author does just that. He clearly conveys the fear, the anger, the pride, and the patriotism of the characters during the battle scenes, and in the heartfelt, emotional scenes between loved ones.

Initially, the book was very hard for me to read. The book was set in a fictional world so it started off with a lot of facts and information about the wars, the timeline, and the different clans of people. There was also a lot of different terminology used, such as the word “khorokh” which essentially meant emperor, and other such words. It was hard to keep the terminology and characters straight. However, as I read more, I became used to the language and I really started to enjoy the dialogue and the story.

There were a few editing mistakes and typos. For example, there was a sentence written as “All I can I say” when the second “I” should not be there. The word “unceremoniously” was misspelled as “unceremonisouly,” etc. These errors were so minor, however, that they were easy to overlook and did not detract from the story.

This book is thoroughly well researched and I can only imagine the amount of time and effort put into writing this. The storyline, the research, the drama, and the political intrigue impressed me so much that I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I do not recommend this book to younger readers or people who do not enjoy violence because this book is a war story. There are descriptive war scenes that can be quite brutal and gory, so those who are squeamish may want to avoid this one. Action, adventure, and thriller lovers, however, will not want to miss this.

The Bulls of War
View: on Bookshelves

Like CrescentMoon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Don't think I'll pick this one up. Glad you enjoyed it though. Thanks for the review!
L Anthony Skelton
Favorite Author: Hugh Howey
Currently Reading: The Bulls of War
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2829

Post by L Anthony Skelton »

Great review. I will be adding this to my shelf.
Tiff-thebookworm
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiff-thebookworm.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Tiff-thebookworm »

Great Review, I will be adding this to my shelf to read!
CrescentMoon

Post by CrescentMoon »

AA1495 wrote:Don't think I'll pick this one up. Glad you enjoyed it though. Thanks for the review!
Yeah this book is definitely not for everyone but I did really enjoy it :) Thank you!
L Anthony Skelton wrote:Great review. I will be adding this to my shelf.
Tiff-thebookworm wrote:Great Review, I will be adding this to my shelf to read!
Thank you! This was a great read, you guys won't be disappointed :)
L Anthony Skelton

The Reviewer, CrescentMoon, should post this review on Amazon. I would give it a helpful vote. Reviews like this get me very interested in the book.
It sounds like it is along the same line as Gates of Fire (Pressfield)... and I would read that book 100 times.
CrescentMoon

Post by CrescentMoon »

L Anthony Skelton wrote:The Reviewer, CrescentMoon, should post this review on Amazon. I would give it a helpful vote. Reviews like this get me very interested in the book.
It sounds like it is along the same line as Gates of Fire (Pressfield)... and I would read that book 100 times.
Thank you L Anthony Skelton! This book is an amazing war book. I'm sure you'll love this one.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. I love books about friendship. They remind me of Harry Potter and his friends and Frodo and the fellowship of the ring. Great job on the review. Congratulations to E.M. Thomas on such an obviously well written book.
CrescentMoon

Post by CrescentMoon »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very interesting book. I love books about friendship. They remind me of Harry Potter and his friends and Frodo and the fellowship of the ring. Great job on the review. Congratulations to E.M. Thomas on such an obviously well written book.
Thank you kimmyschemy06! This book definitely has a different take on friendship and it was really interesting to read about :)
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I'm not sure that this book is for me, but your review of it was excellent!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
CrescentMoon

Post by CrescentMoon »

LivreAmour217 wrote:I'm not sure that this book is for me, but your review of it was excellent!
Thank you! This book is definitely not for everyone but I'm glad you liked the review :)
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Fantastic review! I'm glad you mentioned that it starts slowly because of all the information you have to get through to understand the world this author created. Is there anything to reference in the back for the new words?
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
CrescentMoon

Post by CrescentMoon »

bluemel4 wrote:Fantastic review! I'm glad you mentioned that it starts slowly because of all the information you have to get through to understand the world this author created. Is there anything to reference in the back for the new words?
Thank you bluemel4! At the end of the book, the author does have a very detailed history of all the kingdoms and wars and past events that are mentioned in the book. So for readers who are really interested in the backstory, the history at the end provides a lot of information. But there isn't any appendix or anything to reference the new words. I think it would be a really good idea for the author to include that, it would have helped with my reading a lot.
L Anthony Skelton

Well, I just started reading this book. And I do think it is amazing (so far).
CrescentMoon

Post by CrescentMoon »

L Anthony Skelton wrote:Well, I just started reading this book. And I do think it is amazing (so far).
Glad to hear it. I hope you enjoy the rest of the book :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”