Official Review: 9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Par...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: 9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Par...

Post by MsMartha »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When a parent is aging, many changes can occur regarding health, personality, living accommodations, and other aspects of life. The time will come when the parent’s child—or children—will have important questions needing quick and correct answers: What help does my parent need, and what is the best way to get that help? Who will be the caretaker? Stefania Shaffer, an English teacher with a variety of work experience, was her mother’s caretaker. She has written a book that includes both general information and a very detailed account of her mother’s final years. This nonfiction book appealed to me since I have an elderly mother, and books are my favorite resources for information.

I found this book to be informative and engaging, but not in the way I was expecting. Based on the title-- Nine Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent—I assumed the author would identify common problems and the best resources for solving them, and that related personal experiences would be used to show how useful the technical information can be. Instead, this book is a memoir first, with information that is specifically about Shaffer’s mother’s situation. This is very well done, and includes details about the rest of the family and Shaffer in particular. The honesty regarding family relationships and occasional negative situations was very impressive. I was frequently reminded of things that have happened to my family and friends. I did not want to put this book down and do something else. I wanted to keep reading.

While the writing is very impressive, I’m not sure that the technical information is given in the best way. Stories about a particular problem and how it was resolved do have a lot of detail, but it’s not always clear if it’s the best way to resolve issues. In the preface, the author indicates the book is “Designed to be an indispensable guide for all decision makers in your family…I have the benefit of experience and can walk you down this path so there are no misunderstandings.” I think it would be a bit more helpful if research was specified, and readers were urged to find what the best options would be for them, based on the state they live in if necessary. The author does use some statistics, especially in Chapter 1. There is a “Notes and Resources” section at the end of the book that relates to several chapters. This is helpful, but compared to the length of the book—almost 500 pages in my copy—most of the information does seem to be the author’s experience, without indicating other possible choices, or why the ones used were better than others. I think more specific information would be helpful to readers, and would verify (rather than letting the reader assume) that the choices were well made.

The most difficult thing in reviewing this book has been deciding how to rate it. After much thought and re-reading, I am giving it 3 out of 4 stars. I wonder if something relatively simple, like changing the title, might put the expectations I had in better alignment. A Love Story of a Different Kind: Experiences of Caring for an Elderly Parent, for example, might have given me a better idea of what to expect.

There’s a difference between “This was my experience, and I think things went well” and “This is the best way for taking care of a situation.” In spite of my concerns, if you have elderly parents I do highly recommend this book. We don’t know what will happen in our lives, but a memoir written with this kind of detail will reassure us that what needs to be done can be done, and done well. It’s possible that you will learn about some problems you never thought about--and you may find a number of things in common with Stefania Shaffer.

9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsMartha's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Thank you for your honest and insightful review!
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

AA1495 wrote:Thank you for your honest and insightful review!
Thanks for your response! I hope a lot of readers will enjoy this book.
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

Great review!
I think the removal of one star for a slightly misleading title is completely appropriate.
Well done.
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

Great review! This sounds like an interesting read. It's the best feeling when a book is so good that we cannot put it down. Despite the errors, I'm glad to see you were able to really relate to and enjoy it.
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Nicely done! Thank you for sharing your review!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

lane_vespertine wrote:Great review!
I think the removal of one star for a slightly misleading title is completely appropriate.
Well done.
Thank you--this was a difficult decision, but it did seem like the right thing to do.

-- 12 Oct 2016, 08:08 --

Thanks, Lauren M and klbradley!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, thoughtful review! The book sounds very useful. I like that the author personalized the info by adding recollections of her mother's final years.

By the way, it appeared that you also had other reasons for taking away a star, not just the title in relation to the book. I can see your point about wanting a little info abut other possible choices and why some might work better than others.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

bookowlie wrote: By the way, it appeared that you also had other reasons for taking away a star, not just the title in relation to the book. I can see your point about wanting a little info abut other possible choices and why some might work better than others.
A good point! There was SO much I thought about saying for this review...
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I enjoyed your review. I especially liked your suggestion of changing the book name so that readers would not be misled. I write poetry and sometimes have a hard time giving them titles. This book seems interesting but it's not something I would gravitate towards. Thanks again though.
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

Jaime Lync wrote:I enjoyed your review. I especially liked your suggestion of changing the book name so that readers would not be misled. I write poetry and sometimes have a hard time giving them titles. This book seems interesting but it's not something I would gravitate towards. Thanks again though.
I appreciate your response! It is an interesting book, but is most important when you realize you need some of this information. For my family, that's now, but it's not time yet for others...
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the informative review! It does seem like a useful book for many who are (or will be) caring for the elderly. Like you were referencing, it might be better if there were other options for those handling the elderly rather than just one perspective. In reality, every situation is different and what works for one may not work for another. Thank you for your honesty. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

hsimone wrote:Thank you for the informative review! It does seem like a useful book for many who are (or will be) caring for the elderly. Like you were referencing, it might be better if there were other options for those handling the elderly rather than just one perspective. In reality, every situation is different and what works for one may not work for another. Thank you for your honesty. :)
Thank you for liking this review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”