Official Review: Everything I Need to Know About Love I L...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Official Review: Everything I Need to Know About Love I L...

Post by Lauren M »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned from Pop Songs?

The title immediately grabbed my attention. Who hasn’t been in love and heard a song on the radio that speaks volumes to them? This anthology is compromised of 13 stories. Each story is from a different author about a song or songs that meant the most to them in their relationships. The stories varied from learning to love, being madly in love and moving on from failed love.

I was worried going into the book that it would end up being cliche. I am happy to report that was not the case. Some stories were empowering, a few were sad and there was one that was very odd. I had to read that one twice and laughed aloud when I realized exactly who the author was referring to.

I really enjoyed and related to a few stories that I would like to mention.

The first is titled “Wannabe” by the Spice Girls. I was excited by this because I loved the band as a pre-teen. However, the author took it to another level when she described how the song helped her realize that she could take charge of her own love life. She understood that dating wasn’t just about a boy finally noticing you. It was about deciding what you want out of a relationship and going for it!

The second story that really spoke to me was about a middle aged woman. She had really bad back pains that made her already platonic marriage less physical. Through even the most depressing times, whenever the song “Hey Yaa” came on the radio, it was an instant uplift. The song became her anthem of enjoying life, even when it was too painful to even dance to. I was glad to see that her story had a cute and happy ending, but I’ll let you read it for yourself.

The anthology was really nicely bundled together. There was a well written introduction chapter and the stories flowed easily. Nothing felt out of place or random to the pace of the book. Each story was clearly written and well edited.

I really enjoyed this anthology, I’ve already added it to my ‘read again’ pile. There is something special about how music touches us and I liked reading about how other people felt that connection. This book definitely deserves a 4 out of 4 rating. It’s got a story that almost everyone can relate to in one way or another.

Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Lauren M's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Glad you enjoyed reading it! Great review! Thanks for sharing ☺
Lauren M

Post by Lauren M »

AA1495 wrote:Glad you enjoyed reading it! Great review! Thanks for sharing ☺
Thanks! It's super easy to write a great review when you read such a great story!
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

Lauren M wrote:
AA1495 wrote:Glad you enjoyed reading it! Great review! Thanks for sharing ☺
Thanks! It's super easy to write a great review when you read such a great story!
Haha! True that! Great job anyway ☺
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

This sounds completely enjoyable. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Glad to see this received such a good rating! Congrats to the author!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Lauren M

Post by Lauren M »

Elaine5 wrote:This sounds completely enjoyable. Thanks for the review.
It really was! Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)
klbradley wrote:Glad to see this received such a good rating! Congrats to the author!
Yes! They are currently working on a followup book that I am very excited for as well.
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

Great review!
Pop music, more than any other type of music, is always fun to bring up in conversation. People always know (absolutely KNOW!) exactly where there were in life during the success of a pop song. "I was in high school because my friend just got a car and drove us around and it was on the radio all the time." That sort of thing.
Probably a fun avenue for story telling then, too.
Thanks again.
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
Lauren M

Post by Lauren M »

lane_vespertine wrote:Great review!
Pop music, more than any other type of music, is always fun to bring up in conversation. People always know (absolutely KNOW!) exactly where there were in life during the success of a pop song. "I was in high school because my friend just got a car and drove us around and it was on the radio all the time." That sort of thing.
Probably a fun avenue for story telling then, too.
Thanks again.
Yes! It's neat how music can really sharpen a a memory. Some things I remember ok, but things that involved music, I remember almost entirely. For example, when I was studying for the 2nd time to take my drivers test, I made a mixtape (cd) and listened to it on loop while I studied, and nonstop on the way to the test. I aced it, and still to this day I can kindof recall some of the answers when I hear the songs.
AA1495
Currently Reading:

Post by AA1495 »

Oh and very interesting title too ?
Lauren M

Post by Lauren M »

AA1495 wrote:Oh and very interesting title too ?
Hah! I know, it's definitely a mouthful. However, it caught my attention and was worthwhile.
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

This sounds like a great little collection, I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”