Official Review: Before I Wake by Seven Steps

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Official Review: Before I Wake by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Before I Wake by Seven Steps is a romance book which contains two short love stories, The Playthings and The Cottage. Each of them is completely different from the other but after reading both of them, you will definitely wonder: Was it real?

The Playthings revolves around Samantha Patterson. It is a completely ordinary day and Samantha is shopping at the grocery store with her husband when suddenly, people start disappearing, one by one. Samantha starts to question - her husband, her child, her whole life - was it all just her imagination?

In The Cottage, Ashling’s countryside life is perfectly normal. That is, until her sister, Bernadette, discovers an injured man lying next to a haystack on their farm. Ashling devotes most of the time tending to his injuries, and there’s something familiar about him, his face, his coal black eyes – but she just can’t grasp it. When he eventually awakens, her world will never be the same again.

I really loved this book! The author ended off both stories with an unexpected twist, which was one thing that I liked about it. I really did not see the twist for the first story, The Playthings, coming! This really left me wanting for more! Not only that, I found both of the plots intriguing. Both of them shared the same theme, which was telling reality from imagination. In the end, I was still unable to tell whether the whole story was all the character’s imagination, or it was her actual, real world.

However, I felt that the stories were just too short! I understand that the author wanted to end off both stories with a bang and a great twist, but I finished the book in barely 10 minutes. This really disappointed me as I really wanted more from the book, and I’m sure that any reader of the book will be disappointed as well. Besides that, I felt that the endings of each book were a little abrupt. Because of the twist, the stories seemed unfinished and it was as if the author had forgotten to continue the story. There were also a few editing errors, but they were quite minor and did not affect the flow of the story.

To me, The Playthings seemed like a mystery story, while The Cottage was more of a romance story. Out of the two, my personal favourite would be The Cottage. I felt that The Cottage was quite sweet and I loved the romance inside the book. The ending to The Cottage actually melted my heart and I felt that The Cottage was quite a lovely story.

I would rate Before I Wake by Seven Steps 3 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed reading Before I Wake and I felt that the plots of both short stories in the book were unique and interesting. However, the stories were too short and the endings were abrupt. I certainly hope that the author will release a sequel to this book. I recommend Before I Wake to those who would like a short but delightful romance.

Before I Wake
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Clifora's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

10 minutes to finish the book?! That hardly seems worth it!
Anyway, thanks for the quality review!
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

Wow, this book sounds really good, but finishing in under 10 minutes makes me hesitate. The stories must pack quite a punch to have left you wanting more. I think I'll give this one a try, I do enjoy a good romance. Thanks for your review!
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
Clifora

Post by Clifora »

lane_vespertine wrote:10 minutes to finish the book?! That hardly seems worth it!
Anyway, thanks for the quality review!
Thank you! I did like the book, but it was really short and I wished that there was more.

-- 06 Oct 2016, 15:17 --
Lauren M wrote:Wow, this book sounds really good, but finishing in under 10 minutes makes me hesitate. The stories must pack quite a punch to have left you wanting more. I think I'll give this one a try, I do enjoy a good romance. Thanks for your review!
Indeed, the stories were pretty amazing! It's sad that they were so short... If the author had added more stories or increased the length of the two stories, I could have given it 4 stars.
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Woah 10 minutes? Thanks for the great review!
Clifora

Post by Clifora »

AA1495 wrote:Woah 10 minutes? Thanks for the great review!
Thank you!

— T.S. Eliot
jezzy_ssel
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jezzy-ssel.html

Post by jezzy_ssel »

Wow. It's like a one sitting read. Great Review! I will add this to my want to read :D

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”