Official Review: First Contact: Strings Attached

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: First Contact: Strings Attached

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "First Contact: Strings Attached" by Paul J. Nelson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you like old school science fiction? Were you a sci-fi fan when it was unpopular to be one? If so, you are going to enjoy reading First Contact: Strings Attached by Paul J. Nelson, J.D. It is reminiscent of classic sci-fi. Think Isaac Asimov, Jules Verne and H.G. Wells.

The story opens with Zalk, an astronomy professor. He is recovering from having made the professional faux pas of suggesting there is life on Arken, the planet orbiting Zalk's home planet Zeon. After being academically and socially blacklisted for some time he has regained a university position, and he and his wife Elfa have rebuilt their quiet modest life together. To his dismay Zalk's newly recovered life is endangered by an ambitious young reporter bent on selling newspapers and advancing her career by any means necessary. Under false pretenses she has encouraged Zalk to open up about his psychic abilities and his continued belief that there is intelligent life "out there". Once again his lifestyle is threatened. This time he is offered help from an unknown source but, as the title implies, the help comes with strings attached.

From A to Z, the planets that revolve around each other as they orbit their shared sun may as well have been called Alpha and Omega, the first and the last. Arken is 1,000 years ahead of Zeon technologically speaking, and Zeon is comparable to Earth in the 19th century. Zeon's latest inventions are the telescope, the camera, the steam engine and electricity. To say more here would require including spoilers.

Fans of classic science fiction will love this novel. As is typical of any good book of this genre the story is invented but the questions it raises about human nature and behavior are genuine. Should people live on the cusp of their financial means based on societal expectations? Can people be expected to behave ethically when there is potential for great personal gain? Who can be trusted? Is the ruin of the minority justifiable for the prosperity of the majority? Mr. Nelson does an expert job of weaving these questions into the fabric of the tale.

People who prefer not to read academic writing may not enjoy this book, as it may have them going to a dictionary several times throughout he reading of the text.

Mr. Nelson includes a glossary of terms, and his legal background shows in his use of footnotes throughout the book whenever a new term or concept is introduced. The novel appears to be professionally edited, with only one grammatical error of note. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend you run, don't walk to get your copy of this captivating story today!

First Contact: Strings Attached
View: on Bookshelves

Like Eatsleaves's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

Walk? Don't run? Seriously made me laugh.
Good review! I really enjoy science fiction, and this just made my short list for future reads.
I was a little unclear about what you meant by "academic writing." One more sentence elaborating on that might have helped.
Thanks!
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Awesome review! I was never much for sci-fi growing up but have been delving into more lately. I will definitely be running to get my copy! Congrats to the author on such a positive review! :)
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival

Post by e-tasana-williams »

Thank you for your comments! Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Glad you enjoyed reading it! Thank You for a great review!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

The academic writing may bother me some, but it is nice that the author includes a glossary. The premise sounds interesting!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Excellent review! Your love of the book really shines through. I like that you clearly explained that the story reminded me of traditional sci-fi and that the reader might have to look some words up in the dictionary. While sci-fi is not my cup of tea, it is a popular genre and other readers would probably want to read the book. I laughed when you recommended that we run/don't walk to the library to get the book! Congrats to the author on having the Book of the Day!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. I love old fashioned science fiction and after reading your review I'm really looking forward to reading this great book.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
romantics
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Frannie and Tru</a>
Currently Reading: Brave New World
Bookshelf Size: 405
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romantics.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by romantics »

I really like classic science fiction so i'll definitely be adding this to my to-read list. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. I love old school sci-fi. While I don't have a great love of academic writing I am all too familiar with it and your review has me excited about this book. Thank you :)
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great review! Sounds like an interesting sci-fi novel, I like that the author added a glossary and footnotes.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I love classic science fiction too. though I am not that great fan of academic writing. It is good the author provided a glossary of terms. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Great review. I enjoyed the preview.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I think that the science fiction mixed with a 19th century time period sounds super interesting. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great, descriptive review! I'm not typically a Sci-fi fan, but I like the concept of this book. Not sure about the academic writing, but I really like your enthusiasm of this book. The cover is very enticing, so maybe I'll give this one a read. Thank you for a wonderful review and congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”