I just transitioned vegetarian to vegan and need recipes!

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
MerissaFaye
Currently Reading: Clockwork Prince
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merissafaye.html

I just transitioned vegetarian to vegan and need recipes!

Post by MerissaFaye »

So I just transitioned into vegan from pescetarianism (vegetarian eating fish) and I'm having issues finding good vegan options for food. I want a vegan cookbook or a good website or blogger with good recipes. I'd also love any recipes anyone has! Vegan is so difficult to transition to for me, and it's been a hard 12 days being vegan.

Any ideas are welcome!
Trehanna7
Currently Reading: Orphan Train
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trehanna7.html

Post by Trehanna7 »

Hello!! I know what you mean! Im struggling with the same thing. I get many of my recipes from youtubers who have blogs and websites, Watching them cook inspires me more though. you can try one green planet (website), the vegan corner, hot for food, cooking with plants, Chef Ani, Chef Mama Rosa, happy vegan couple, A healthy vegan, the kale sandwich show, perfectly plant based, Mr. and Mrs. Vegan, That vegan mom, vegan physique, vegan hustle tv, something vegan, cooking with nature, peta (website), Guilt free vegan, mango Island mama, Eco-vegan gal, health nut nutrition, healthy vegan life, the tofu guru, vegan cooking with love, brown vegan, wise cooking, saveyon foods, sweet potato soul, and cheap lazy vegan.
Sierra Rose
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Sierra Rose »

I just recently adopted the vegan lifestyle myself (2 months strong!), and I would NOT have been able to do it without reading "No Meat Athlete," by Matt Frazier and Matthew Ruscigno. One section of the book is entirely devoted to diet, so even if you're not interested in the athletics aspect, it's a great read. You can check out "No Meat Athlete"'s website too (but they won't let me post the url since I'm new to the site..haha)! There are also plenty of vegan cookbooks out there, but, in my humble opinion, nothing beats Pinterest.

Good luck with your plant-based endeavors! :)
brutalbabe91
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by brutalbabe91 »

My mom has been vegan for 2 years, I myself am not but I cook vegan/vegetarian ALL the time!!! Everyone is right about Pinterest. I also have this book called "Plant-Powered Families" by Dreena Burton. It's got great tips and recipes for kids or picky eaters.
The vegan "crazy cake" on pinterest is AWESOME!! look up the recipe for "Deviled Tomatoes" another great. The smoky BBQ sweet potato chick pea burgers on pinterest are to die for.
Brands like Amy's make amazing ice cream that tastes like regular ice cream. Daiya is probably the best "cheese" and smart balance for the butter. GOOD LUCK!
Natasha_Smith
Currently Reading: Harvest Night
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-smith.html

Post by Natasha_Smith »

Recently I have been cooking with black bean recipes. Usually I soak them for about 8 hours, then I cook them with stock soup with garlic and onion until they are soft. Sometimes I puree them into a paste and use them in quesadillas, other times I will use it in a side with rice.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

I look on Pinterest to get vegan meal ideas, especially for tasty baked goods. I have also found the peta website useful for vegan recipes.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I'm not really that sure of vegan recipes in all honesty. Just wanted to say it's pretty cool that you're so dedicated to this.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
falloutlunartic
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falloutlunartic.html
Latest Review: "Adrift on a Sea of Stars" by John Stilwell
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by falloutlunartic »

I LOVE YouTube for this! My favorite vegan YouTubers are ItsMandarin, Caitlin Shoemaker, Liv's Healthy Life, Sarah's Vegan Kitchen, The Happy Pear, Ana Banana, and Bonnyrebecca. I am also a new vegan, have been for almost a month! Yay!
"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them." -Lemony Snicket
Latest Review: "Adrift on a Sea of Stars" by John Stilwell
indubitabubbly
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indubitabubbly.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by indubitabubbly »

Whole Foods market has a fantastic vegan tofu curry that I get (and I am non-vegetarian). I am not positive on the recipe but I bet you could find it online!
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I'm a vegetarian!

I'm thinking of starting a feature for OnlineBookClub where members can submit vegetarian recipes, and then my kids and I can try making the recipes. Then we can report back on how well it turned out. In other words, we can be your guinea pigs for vegetarian recipes. Anyone who is daring can also join in as a guinea pig.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Iloveflowers
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Iloveflowers »

you tube has so many :)
we could choose one to all try and see how we get along..
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

May I ask why you decided to become vegan?
elphochan
Currently Reading: Codependency No More
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by elphochan »

Hi Merissa! How has your first year of being vegan been? I've been vegan for about three years and before that was a pescetarian for three years. I remember the struggle of transitioning quite well. I'm actually the worst cook, but my favorite simple thing to make is rigatoni covered in tomato basil sauce and nutritional yeast instead of Parmesan. For my side dish, I steam some spinach and saute mushrooms in Earth Balance butter and soy sauce. To drink, I have Silk protein nutmilk to make sure I'm getting enough protein in the meal. I have that for dinner about 2-3 times a week. I know it's not ideal, but I tend to eat out a lot. My favorite cuisine is Greek. I LOVE falafel with yellow rice and a big side salad with hummus. YUM!
victorycoffee
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorycoffee.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by victorycoffee »

elphochan, do you have any cookbooks that you use as a go-to? I tend to build combos out of whatever tins of beans/tomatoes/fresh produce i have plus some sort of starch, but apart from Kenji's section on seriouseats I haven't really been super inspired in the vegan space
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by David_92 »

I just learnt a new word like ' pescetarianism ' . Learning contintues. All the best in finding your right diet .
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”